What's new

merkur futur vs merkur progress

Most pros and cons have been described by members in this thread. Both are very good. Progress is better. But then again if you don't like the plastic knob, no one will be able to pursuade you to buy the Progress. The Chinese Futur copies are a hit and miss. I am pretty sure more than one factory makes them, as I have some that look quite different. Also every copy has a different gap.
I would advice you to first buy one of the two Merkurs and some time later buy the other. :devil:

Progress is like a classic car (68 Mustang may be :biggrin1: ) that you can buy directly from the factory back in 60's. The bakelite knob is a fantastic item with gives its cool and vintage look.
The setting 1-5 is very good for each step. The short handle ergonomics is impressive. The weight and the size balance is very good.
You have to pay attention to the direction of the top cap when you insert the blade in order to have a proper setting alignment. . . .
Don't forget also to tighten the razor all the way down before lossening it to the setting you want to try. Nothing in its instruction pamphlet or on the 'Net, except here, mentions this. While the Merkur did not cut me on my first 2 shaves with it, I felt as if it would at any second. Only after B & B people pointed out that you have to "close" it before opening it to setting 1 or 2 or whatever, did I get comfortable with it.

I have a Progress and absolutely love it. Shaves very differently from the vintage Gillette adjustables (i.e. Slim/BB). Definitely worth picking up. I've never tried a Futur, so can't comment on how they compare.

I'm also in the camp that really loves that plastic knob -- there's something "vintage cool" about it.
+1. I can use any blade with the Progress, but the Gillette adjustables bite me if I use the wrong blade.

I love my Futur😉 After years with RAD, it is still my first and favourite razor. It does it all, at setting 1-2, it gives me mild comfortable shaves with no irritation. At the higher settings it removes a beard with ease, almost like a straight razor. I also really love the sound it makes when it cuts😎

I like my Progress also. It is in my rotation. The one thing it does better than The Futur, is getting high up under The nose. I always get good shaves with it, but it hardly makes any sound. I always miss the very maskuline sound of the Futur😉

My next razor will be The magnetic baby Futur. I have high hopes for that one😃

Reactions: ewk
I've only used the Futur clone, which is supposed to shave ''almost'' like the original Futur and I also own a Progress. I hated the Futur clone, because it was too bulky and the blade chatter was horrible. Some claim that both are very similar, while others claim that they are very different.

The Progress on other hand is great. It's one of the best shavers in my den, even though I can feel a slight blade chatter and the settings feel a bit out of balance, it's still a great razor and if someone creates a more precise brass/stainless steel version of it, I would buy it instantly. The Progress is also the only zamak razor in my collection and I have no plans of selling it.

I've only used the Futur clone, which is supposed to shave ''almost'' like the original Futur and I also own a Progress. I hated the Futur clone, because it was too bulky and the blade chatter was horrible. Some claim that both are very similar, while others claim that they are very different.

The Progress on other hand is great. It's one of the best shavers in my den, even though I can feel a slight blade chatter and the settings feel a bit out of balance, it's still a great razor and if someone creates a more precise brass/stainless steel version of it, I would buy it instantly. The Progress is also the only zamak razor in my collection and I have no plans of selling it.
I've had the clone and can tell you it's very different.

Fayiz D.

I have a Futur clone and didn't expect much from it. Germany via China. 😮 I was really surprised at how good it is for a knock-off!
Perhaps it's just that it's my first adjustable. True, the handle is like trying to hold onto an icicle. I just purchased a 1961 Gillette G4 1-9 adjustable. (Year of my birth) When it arrives I'm feeling the Futur clone will reside in a drawer, but time will tell.

I have a Futur clone. There are many available. I truly like it, however the blade gap isn't even. Not surprising given the price I paid. It did however turn me on to adjustables.

The Merkur Futur does not have blade chatter. It is as solid as the rock of Gibraltar. I've never had a problem with the size of the head not fitting under my nose.

Top Bottom