What's new

Merkur Futur Review - Highly Recommended

I have a gold one and I really like it. I'm not sure why it needs any adjustment. They should have just put it at the mildest level and it would be good enough for 99.9% of men.

I have a gold one and I really like it. I'm not sure why it needs any adjustment. They should have just put it at the mildest level and it would be good enough for 99.9% of men.
I guess that makes me one in a thousand! I generally use mine on 4.5 but push it up to 5 every now and again.

Thanks @discomike for nice review. After 10 yrs of ownership (and how much of shaves) what can you say on durability of the razor? Pins? Loading mechanism? Do you put some mineral oil every once in a while? Do you pay some special attention to it? It is nice, futuristic razor and TBH within hundreds of models which just drift a bit from a classis design this is really somewhat unique. However - as being pricey (now up to 70-100e) depending on finish, I'm just curious how does it shows up in long terms?

I bought one of these around 12 years ago, and still in use. I think its a good looking razor, reason as its so different to other razors. I use it on a 1 or 2, and I will put my hand up here, tried it on the high settings and got nicked a few times.

I bought one of these around 12 years ago, and still in use. I think its a good looking razor, reason as its so different to other razors. I use it on a 1 or 2, and I will put my hand up here, tried it on the high settings and got nicked a few times.
It's a nice mileage you've got there :) Congrats! Do you maintain your Futur in any specific way? I saw guys disassemble it, oil regularly etc. Any issues with top-cap clamping and blade holding after 12 yrs? Thanks

It's a nice mileage you've got there :) Congrats! Do you maintain your Futur in any specific way? I saw guys disassemble it, oil regularly etc. Any issues with top-cap clamping and blade holding after 12 yrs? Thanks
Never, always give it a good clean and dry after use, but I have never used oil, or had any need of taking it apart. I will say its not used every day, but been used a fair old bit over the years.

Never, always give it a good clean and dry after use, but I have never used oil, or had any need of taking it apart. I will say its not used every day, but been used a fair old bit over the years.
Nice to hear that. It's a beautiful yet not ordinary razor, and someone's positive experience on its longevity also gives it some credit. Hope it'll serve you many years more! Thanks for feedback!

Thanks @discomike for nice review. After 10 yrs of ownership (and how much of shaves) what can you say on durability of the razor? Pins? Loading mechanism? Do you put some mineral oil every once in a while? Do you pay some special attention to it? It is nice, futuristic razor and TBH within hundreds of models which just drift a bit from a classis design this is really somewhat unique. However - as being pricey (now up to 70-100e) depending on finish, I'm just curious how does it shows up in long terms?
Hi Couch Potato.

For my Futur, it's held up quite well. I have not had any issues with it. No flaking, no peeling, no scratches, no dents, no pings, no issues with pins holding the blade. It works as it should as I first bought it, and holds up great after a decade of use.

I do admit, I have not put any mineral oil in it. Why does it need mineral oil? Would I have to take it apart to apply the mineral oil?

Hi Couch Potato.

For my Futur, it's held up quite well. I have not had any issues with it. No flaking, no peeling, no scratches, no dents, no pings, no issues with pins holding the blade. It works as it should as I first bought it, and holds up great after a decade of use.

I do admit, I have not put any mineral oil in it. Why does it need mineral oil? Would I have to take it apart to apply the mineral oil?
Well I'm not sure wether you should. Saw some YT shavers (saw paulhfilms as one of), disassembling it occasionally and ading a drop of oil for spring and setting mechanism. I can't say if Merkur requires this or if it's personal overkill? As like you, many BB members used Futur without any issues for years so I just wanted to see is there a real need for that at all, or what Futur users do to keep razor longevity? We are flooded with information and not every time all of them are valuable. Personally - what you said, use a razor for decade, normally, clean it, it works, is somewhat my expectation from a ~60€ razor, it's not like it have planetary gearbox inside ☺️

I went insane and bought way too many razors over the past three years. The Futur is one of them that I need to use more often to get a more accurate feeling about it. At first glance, I remember thinking the blade gaps on all settings were insane. Upon using it, my initial impressions were that it’s really loud and really efficient. It seems like it could be really harsh on the higher settings.

I went insane and bought way too many razors over the past three years. The Futur is one of them that I need to use more often to get a more accurate feeling about it. At first glance, I remember thinking the blade gaps on all settings were insane. Upon using it, my initial impressions were that it’s really loud and really efficient. It seems like it could be really harsh on the higher settings.
No such thing... Having wayyyyy to many razors is quite the norm here. Welcome to the club of blade and razor collecting.

I recently bought a Futur after many years of contemplating getting one. The reason for not getting one earlier was due to many not so positive reviews the razor has received. Most people claim that it's very aggressive. Difficult to get under the nose. Slippery when held with wet hands etc.
The day I got mine, I loaded an Astra SP blade, set the blade gap on setting 6 and went to work on 2 days beard growth. Yes there was a lot more blade feel than my Progress on setting 5, but it felt comfortable and not "scary" as many have suggested. It took down my stubble with ease. I did another 2 passes, both on setting 4. 3rd pass was ATG. BBS finish. Not a single nick, or irritation. A little zinging when using the alum block.
I had no issues with gripping the handle with wet hands. No problems changing setting and the risk of slicing my fingers. No problems getting under the nose. In fact, I cannot fault this razor at all and I'm puzzled about why many have so many complaints about it.
Yes it has more blade feel than my Progress regardless of what settings I use but it's not at all scary and " crazy aggressive" as many have pointed out in the past. To me, it's a solid, well made razor that shaves superbly. I of course wouldn't recommend it to beginners. I myself have been wet shaving for over 25 years, so I guess technique and experience plays an important role as well.
I know many who are interested in the Futur but afraid it won't work for them due to the negative reviews.
My suggestion, ignore the reviews. Loan one or just buy one and find out for yourself. Only you can judge how it works for you. Yes it may not work for some just like how some great blades just don't work for some people. YMMV of course. But don't judge the razor based on what people say. Try it for yourself. Try it with different blades. Ensure your lather is well hydrated.
The Futur is a great razor IMO. Been enjoying my daily shaves with it using different blades and it has become my absolute favourite amongst my 28+ razors in my collection.

Attachments

• IMG_20220716_121804.jpg
    IMG_20220716_121804.jpg
    714 KB · Views: 22
I must be a rare one myself. I did not hear of the Gillette Fatboys, Slim or Supers when I started out nor ever thought of starting with a vintage. I wanted to start out with something that was adjustable and TOTL, which explains its durability, reliability, great shave and why its been in use as my main razor for 10 years now.
In those 10 years, did you ever disassemble your Futur for a thorough cleaning session? When mine became hard to adjust, and couldn't get the number 1, I did a complete teardown, clean and lube. It functions like new now. Of course I had loaned it out to my brother-in-law, who used it for a year or so, and never cleaned it after shaving. So a soap scum build up internally was inevitable I guess. I have the habit of cleaning my razors after every shave, even though that much attention is probably not required.

I guess that makes me one in a thousand! I generally use mine on 4.5 but push it up to 5 every now and again.
Are you a daily shaver? I shave every day, don't want to miss out on the experience, and I make several setting changes during my shave. Usually in the downward direction from the 4 setting. 3 passes and some touch ups for me.

Are you a daily shaver? I shave every day, don't want to miss out on the experience, and I make several setting changes during my shave. Usually in the downward direction from the 4 setting. 3 passes and some touch ups for me.
Yes, I shave every day but I rarely use the same razor for more than 2 or 3 days in a row. I'm also a "set it and forget it" guy when it comes to adjustable razors, so I never adjust mid-shave.

Yes, I shave every day but I rarely use the same razor for more than 2 or 3 days in a row. I'm also a "set it and forget it" guy when it comes to adjustable razors, so I never adjust mid-shave.
Thank you for your update. Wasn't sure this was still an active discussion. I only change settings since most of the whiskers are gone with a first pass, so why not go a little easier on the subsequent passes. I have used a single setting for my shaves in the past but it is more entertaining to change a little bit, especially doing the neck area. I guess I could use the Futur either way, fixed or variable.

Not changing subject but I see KNOCKOFF from Asia on The Bay frequently, wonder how the performance is v/s the real deal?

Was sort of surprise to see one online vendor of Shave products selling the FOO FUTURAS.

Not changing subject but I see KNOCKOFF from Asia on The Bay frequently, wonder how the performance is v/s the real deal?

Was sort of surprise to see one online vendor of Shave products selling the FOO FUTURAS.
I once bought what was listed as a genuine Futur from a seller on eBay. It turned out to be an unbranded clone, and it was not a good razor at all. The seller was not a shaving vendor, and I believe made an honest mistake. I received a full refund, and based upon a sample size of one, I would say that the performance of Futur clones is not good. But I have seen posts from folks who have been very pleased with Futur clones, so I suspect that there are some good (or at least OK) clones out there.

Top Bottom