What's new

Merkur Futur Review - Highly Recommended

I've been reading people being afraid of the Merkur Futur since their was a review posted that you can cut yourself when handing the Futur. That has not been my experience with the Futur.

I've had my Futur for 10 years now. Its been my first DE Razor which I love. It is the chrome finish. I believe I paid around $70 for it back in 2012. It was probably the only razor that was adjustable at the time - or at least one that I could find which was at reasonable cost. So here has been my experience with the Futur over 10 years.

First of all... whoever reviewed that blade changes are difficult and that you can cut yourself when grabbing the Futur does not know how to handle the Futur. The Futur has been solid for me. I've never cut myself when changing blades. This razor is SOLID and it is REALLY great. I love it and highly recommend it if you want an adjustable razor that is solid !!!

There is one thing I can see in one review that COULD happen - but this has never happened to me.... because it has a solid handle without indentations I could see it slip in your hands should it get wet. Thats never happened to me, nor have I ever felt it would slip from my hands while shaving.

I guess I do a good job not getting my hands wet when shaving. :) One thing I would NOT recommend this razor for - but please read through for FULL context to qualify this statement. Because the head is bulky, I would not recommend it for moustache shaving. If you dont want to invest in another razor... who are we kidding here ? OF COURSE YOU are going to purchase another... for moustache shaving - invest in a moustache shaver. OR... if you dont want to make that investment - you will need to find your own technique on moustache shaving with this razor.

As I state this... I dont use this razor for moustache shaving since I do not shave my moustache.

The way I shave with this razor is I go with the grain, then against the grain. I always get a BBS shave with this razor. The razor glides across the cheeks and neck. I shave with a setting of 3. There are settings from 1 to 6. No clicks - it is a smooth, yet firm dial setting which will not change while shaving. I do not change the setting while shaving, although I think I should shave with a lesser setting when shaving my neck when going ATG. My favorite blades are using the Feathers and the Astras with this razor. Merkur has their own blades too which will give you a mild shave. Bic and Wilkinson Sword Black are also good blades as well. I have yet to try other blades with this razor, but that will change.

This razor is on the heavy side at 128 grams. I like my razors being weighty. One thing that I damaged with this razor from time to time is my face. Because it is weighty, I've smashed it on my face from time to time leaving a razor mark. Maybe less than 5 times I did this, but I clearly remember doing it.

Ive always handled the Futur by grabbing it by the top sides or by the handle. I've never cut myself while handing the Merkur Futur, so dont be afraid of those reviews on the possibility of cutting yourself while handling the razor.

Changing blades is easy. Just pop off the top by its sides and swap the blade. Placing back the top onto the razor feels very solid. That is about all I can say about the Futur. If you have any questions about the Futur, let me know.

I also shave once every 3 to 4 days. My face wont allow me to be used as a daily driver for shaving.

I highly recommend this adjustable razor. This is the only adjustable razor - along with the Progress that I know of (or recall) under $100.

This is Merkur's statement razor. They also made a higher-end razor which was the butterfly version of the Futur - called the Vision. However, it was riddled with problems, so Merkur discontinued the product, making the Futur their best razor they make, which I highly recommend.

That's a pretty comprehensive write up on the futur. Thank you for highlighting the high and lows of the razor.

I have a gold version and haven't used it all that much after hearing the reports of how aggressive it is. I used the Chinese clone of of it and I wasn't very impressed as it had several issues like uneven blade alignment, Blade smile etc. Maybe that put me off the original.

I do shave the mustache area after abandoning my goatee since the pandemic start.

Planning to use it starting tomorrow for a week as part of the Adjustable April month having used the progress past three days.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
Great review, I see that you also go into details as I do. I also especially liked the part, where you covered a previous reviews account of the razor, and disputed it based on your experience. Great job!

That razor was discussed at length in this very recent thread:

That's a pretty comprehensive write up on the futur. Thank you for highlighting the high and lows of the razor.

I have a gold version and haven't used it all that much after hearing the reports of how aggressive it is. I used the Chinese clone of of it and I wasn't very impressed as it had several issues like uneven blade alignment, Blade smile etc. Maybe that put me off the original.

When I purchased the Futur - there was no gold version that I recall. I believe it was chrome and matte finish. Even if the gold version was avaliable, I would have still went with the chrome. Not much of a gold person myself.

Years ago, I bought the matte Futur and used it exclusively for a while.

I didn‘t care for the gold version as it was too flashy for my taste, and neither did I care for the chrome version, as I feared it might be - like the gold version - too slippery when the handle was wet and had some lather on it.

I never experienced any problems changing blades, but the overhanging top cap makes precise work at the edge of a moustache more difficult.

In short, it was a capable razor in its day and I even bought a Chinese clone at one stage just to compare the two (I found the clone has sloppier tolerances and is less well built, but not everyone might want to spend the additional coin for an original Futur.), but I also believe that the heydays of the Futur are over and there are nowadays better safety razors to be had.

B.

First of all... whoever reviewed that blade changes are difficult and that you can cut yourself when grabbing the Futur does not know how to handle the Futur.
I concur and I've always gotten a chuckle when a review notes that if you handle a Futur wrong you can cut yourself. Uh, well, yeah, true that but also true for virtually any other razor and any other activity that involves the handling of a sharp instrument -- inattention may lead to an accident.

If only we could compare EVERY razor to a slim, super or fatboy, for aggressiveness compatibility….I would be in heaven. I’m joking yet do not many of us start with the inexpensive vintage adjustables?
I must be a rare one myself. I did not hear of the Gillette Fatboys, Slim or Supers when I started out nor ever thought of starting with a vintage. I wanted to start out with something that was adjustable and TOTL, which explains its durability, reliability, great shave and why its been in use as my main razor for 10 years now.

I concur and I've always gotten a chuckle when a review notes that if you handle a Futur wrong you can cut yourself. Uh, well, yeah, true that but also true for virtually any other razor and any other activity that involves the handling of a sharp instrument -- inattention may lead to an accident.
Yes, that is SOOOOOO true !!! This can happen with ANY razor - not just the Futur !!!!

To paraphrase Large Marge, the Futur gave me "the worst cut I ever saw." It was a moment of carelessness and I sliced open an ear lobe moving the razor to shave behind my ear. I actually prefer the milder clones of the Futur.

I cut myself on the ear lobe once when I tried to use the razor to remove some lather. Instead of stroking the lather off, because of the weight of the razor - the blade fell on the earlobe causing a cut.

It made an interesting conversation at work where people wondered why i had a band-aid on my ear. How does one do that ????

Here is a pic of my 10 year old Merkur Futur.

20220404_163602.jpg

I cut myself on the ear lobe once when I tried to use the razor to remove some lather. Instead of stroking the lather off, because of the weight of the razor - the blade fell on the earlobe causing a cut.
I'm kind of ashamed to admit it but maybe it's safe in this crowd, so ...... I nailed my earlobe once with a Merkur Progress (having read about it happening at B&B and wondering how anyone could be so doofus).

I've been reading people being afraid of the Merkur Futur since their was a review posted that you can cut yourself when handing the Futur. That has not been my experience with the Futur.

I've had my Futur for 10 years now. Its been my first DE Razor which I love. It is the chrome finish. I believe I paid around $70 for it back in 2012. It was probably the only razor that was adjustable at the time - or at least one that I could find which was at reasonable cost. So here has been my experience with the Futur over 10 years.

First of all... whoever reviewed that blade changes are difficult and that you can cut yourself when grabbing the Futur does not know how to handle the Futur. The Futur has been solid for me. I've never cut myself when changing blades. This razor is SOLID and it is REALLY great. I love it and highly recommend it if you want an adjustable razor that is solid !!!

There is one thing I can see in one review that COULD happen - but this has never happened to me.... because it has a solid handle without indentations I could see it slip in your hands should it get wet. Thats never happened to me, nor have I ever felt it would slip from my hands while shaving.

I guess I do a good job not getting my hands wet when shaving. :) One thing I would NOT recommend this razor for - but please read through for FULL context to qualify this statement. Because the head is bulky, I would not recommend it for moustache shaving. If you dont want to invest in another razor... who are we kidding here ? OF COURSE YOU are going to purchase another... for moustache shaving - invest in a moustache shaver. OR... if you dont want to make that investment - you will need to find your own technique on moustache shaving with this razor.

As I state this... I dont use this razor for moustache shaving since I do not shave my moustache.

The way I shave with this razor is I go with the grain, then against the grain. I always get a BBS shave with this razor. The razor glides across the cheeks and neck. I shave with a setting of 3. There are settings from 1 to 6. No clicks - it is a smooth, yet firm dial setting which will not change while shaving. I do not change the setting while shaving, although I think I should shave with a lesser setting when shaving my neck when going ATG. My favorite blades are using the Feathers and the Astras with this razor. Merkur has their own blades too which will give you a mild shave. Bic and Wilkinson Sword Black are also good blades as well. I have yet to try other blades with this razor, but that will change.

This razor is on the heavy side at 128 grams. I like my razors being weighty. One thing that I damaged with this razor from time to time is my face. Because it is weighty, I've smashed it on my face from time to time leaving a razor mark. Maybe less than 5 times I did this, but I clearly remember doing it.

Ive always handled the Futur by grabbing it by the top sides or by the handle. I've never cut myself while handing the Merkur Futur, so dont be afraid of those reviews on the possibility of cutting yourself while handling the razor.

Changing blades is easy. Just pop off the top by its sides and swap the blade. Placing back the top onto the razor feels very solid. That is about all I can say about the Futur. If you have any questions about the Futur, let me know.

I also shave once every 3 to 4 days. My face wont allow me to be used as a daily driver for shaving.

I highly recommend this adjustable razor. This is the only adjustable razor - along with the Progress that I know of (or recall) under $100.

This is Merkur's statement razor. They also made a higher-end razor which was the butterfly version of the Futur - called the Vision. However, it was riddled with problems, so Merkur discontinued the product, making the Futur their best razor they make, which I highly recommend.
Your face is so sensitive that you can't do one (or two) daily N to S passes with the Futur on the lowest setting of 1?

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I try to make sure my mind doesn't wander off while I'm shaving. I shouldn't admit this, I'm sure... but I alway shave sans clothes since I always shave immediately after a shower. I do make sure to never drop my razor. One circumcision is enough for me. <eg> evil grin.

I haven't nicked an earlobe yet.... but I'm also hesitant to laugh about it, even to myself... or I'll be reporting that in a future post.

Top Bottom