What's new

Merkur Futur blade gap problem?

Hello Everyone!

2 weeks ago I ordered a Merkur Futur online and upon receiving it I noticed the blade did not sit exactly parallel with the blade guard. One side was higher than the other. I contacted the seller and they were very helpful. I asked them if they could open a few they had in stock and hand select one that did not have any problems. They mailed me a replacement the very same day and included a pre-paid shipping label to mail back the defective Futur.

Well, the replacement Futur's blade is indeed parallel with the blade guard throughout all of the 1-6 settings, but I notice that the blade exposure, or gap, from one side to the other side of the razor is slightly different. More gap on one side than the other.

So which one should I keep? The Futur with a blade that isn't parallel with the blade guard, or the Futur that doesn't have the same blade gap from one side to the other?

I thank you all for your expert and very helpful opinions.

It might be worth reading up how to disassemble them, then try swapping parts around to hopefully get one that's perfect.
Also try reversing the spring inside, that can help even things up sometimes.

Last edited:
-Sorry to hear you're having so many problems snatiep!

I had a problem with the blade gap on mine, not being uneven but it wasn't seated fully when in the lowest position (was always on an aggressive setting). Tightening the assembly fixed the problem and it shaves great now.

I don't understand how it's possible for the blade to be uneven with the blade guard in the Futur?? It seems the tolerances are so close there's no way for it to be off center unless it has a serious manufacturing defect.

To answer your question...keep the one with the uneven blade gap. I think if you disassemble and reassemble it properly (and tight) you'll be able to fix the problem and be a happy Futur owner.

Thank you very much for your help!

I took the defective Futur apart a few times and it seems like just doing that it is starting to loosen up a bit and the blade is now sitting better in the holder. I may go get some lithium grease and put a dab here and there in it and see if that helps things even more.

Thanks again! Have a Great Day!

This is an old post, but you may notice that the head is not symmetrical. One side is made to allow your thumb to pop out the head and reveal the blade. That recessed part of the head must be on the left side if you have the handle in front of you and you can see the line mark for head adjustment. If you install the head the other way, you will not have the same blade adjustment.

Hope this helps

C.

This is an old post, but you may notice that the head is not symmetrical. One side is made to allow your thumb to pop out the head and reveal the blade. That recessed part of the head must be on the left side if you have the handle in front of you and you can see the line mark for head adjustment. If you install the head the other way, you will not have the same blade adjustment.

Hope this helps

C.

I don't think this is true about Futurs in general. While the head is not symmetrical end to end, it is supposed to be side to side. I have two Futurs, plus I have given away one to my son. None of them cared which way the cap was on. I have read several comments about Futurs with uneven blade gap. The blade in Futur is located by a bar cast into the body of the head, and there is very little play between the bar and the blade. (much less than between the pins in a Progress and the blade). The blade should be very accurately located on the head, and since the head is a die casting it should be accurate also. The cap is mostly located by the spring wires, and it is possible that spring wires were defective, or improperly installed.

Mekur's QC does not seem to be the best in the world, although my Futurs have both been fine.

This unfortunately seems to happen from time to time with Merkur. My Progress at home is the same way, but it doesn't seem to effect my shave quality. Its just baaaarely off center. Doesn't bother me one bit. Sorry to hear about your Futur.

I don't think this is true about Futurs in general. While the head is not symmetrical end to end, it is supposed to be side to side. I have two Futurs, plus I have given away one to my son. None of them cared which way the cap was on. I have read several comments about Futurs with uneven blade gap. The blade in Futur is located by a bar cast into the body of the head, and there is very little play between the bar and the blade. (much less than between the pins in a Progress and the blade). The blade should be very accurately located on the head, and since the head is a die casting it should be accurate also. The cap is mostly located by the spring wires, and it is possible that spring wires were defective, or improperly installed.

Mekur's QC does not seem to be the best in the world, although my Futurs have both been fine.

+1

The blade gap remains uneven if you load the blade in the cap and then press the handle onto it. I have experienced it.

This is because the blade does not settle on the blade centering mechanism that lies on the movable component of the handle. This leads to the cap seating in a slightly tilted manner, such that there is more blade gap at one end of the blade edge and less at the other.

The correct thing would be to load the blade onto the blade centering mechanism on the movable component of the handle and placing the cap onto it. Head always seats symmetrically.

Hope that helps.

The head locates by the pins centering in the holes of the base. The springs mainly hold it in place. Loose springs would make the top cap wobble but not send it off centre.
$IMAG0251.jpg$IMAG0250.jpg

These images show extra shims in place (two shims in the first and one in the second) in an attempt to reduce blade chatter and increase blade stiffness.
So with effectively 3 blades in place, the mechanism still closes securely.

Last edited:
i have the same problem with my futur clones, the ming shi AND the Qshave - i could really use some help on this guys, there must be a way to fix it...

Top Bottom