What's new

Merkur Futur and Knurling Tool

I have the Merkur Futur in chrome and it has become increasingly annoying and dangerous to have the razor slipping out of my hands. I don't know if the satin finish is coarser than the chrome but I already have the chrome anyway.

I'm thinking of using a knurling tool to impress a diamond pattern on the handle. I know many people complain of this design flaw but I haven't seen anyone metion this possible fix. If any of you have used a knurling tool before, please give me some suggestions on things to look out for.

If you don't know what a knurling too is, here's a primer in this link.

Thanks,
Telly

Just an idea, a piece of rubber around the handle might be a good idea.
Im sure that would solve the problem.

I've used knurling tools and wouldn't try it. I think the handle material is too thin and you would risk denting it. The other problem is that you would destroy the chrome finish.

I think I would pass on the knurling. It sounds like a great idea and if it was a Futur screwdriver I would probably go for it.. Perhaps a dip into liquid latex (the type of liquid rubber that was so popular with some athletes and fetishists for body suits) for the upper part of the handle? I really hate to attack the aesthetics of the razor. AAMOF, this issue is why I avoided the gold model and purchased the satin chrome Futur.

guenron said:
I think I would pass on the knurling. It sounds like a great idea and if it was a Futur screwdriver I would probably go for it.. Perhaps a dip into liquid latex (the type of liquid rubber that was so popular with some athletes and fetishists for body suits) for the upper part of the handle? I really hate to attack the aesthetics of the razor. AAMOF, this issue is why I avoided the gold model and purchased the satin chrome Futur.

Why not just wrap a rubber band around it during use? Put it on, take it off, no worries!

Randy

rtaylor61 said:
Why not just wrap a rubber band around it during use? Put it on, take it off, no worries!

Randy
I agree as well. It does the job and then you just take the rubber band off, and no damage to the safety razor.

Rubber shrink tubing would work or bicycle handlebar wrap. BTW how were you planning on mounting the Vison in a lathe to Knurl it??

cooncatbob said:
Rubber shrink tubing would work or bicycle handlebar wrap. BTW how were you planning on mounting the Vison in a lathe to Knurl it??

Aw Man! I was going to suggest heat shrink tubing - I think it would set off the chrome nicely, dirt cheap, and very easy to undo.

cooncatbob said:

I wasn't going to do it myself. My uncle has been a contractor for a few decades and after looking at my razor, he told me could do it. With all his experience, I was willing to try it out.

I have the Merkur Futur in chrome and it has become increasingly annoying and dangerous to have the razor slipping out of my hands. I don't know if the satin finish is coarser than the chrome but I already have the chrome anyway.

I'm thinking of using a knurling tool to impress a diamond pattern on the handle. I know many people complain of this design flaw but I haven't seen anyone metion this possible fix. If any of you have used a knurling tool before, please give me some suggestions on things to look out for.

If you don't know what a knurling too is, here's a primer in this link.

Thanks,
Telly
Rubber O rings avail at the hardware work fine..take the razor to the store and get a few that fit tight

You can get non-slip strips or patterns for use on bathtubs and showers in various colors. They can be cut into small designs or round disks fashioned from a paper hole punch. If you clean the handle well with alcohol, they will stay on for a long time. Admittedly, they do nothing for the appearance of the razor except make it look like it has some sort of contagious skin disease, but the handle does not slip.

Harvey:
Why are you replying to a 4 year old post?
didn,t even notice..must be losing it..sorry. BUT O rings work !!!!Also the idea of a less slippery surface caught my wandering eye..love knurling sounds like curling and whirling..got me going

Last edited:
I'm not sure a rubber coating would work, it could even make it more slippery when wet. I had a futur, but I got rid of it for a number of reasons, one of them being the ultra smooth surface; if you're worried about it slipping you're never going to have a nice relaxing shave. If you're determined to hang onto it, how about just drilling a few holes in the handle?

Zombie thread!

Can't believe nobody mentioned pencil grips - about the right size, in various materials and shapes good for enhancing grip. Wish I had a picture, but I forced a rubber one on my old Futur before I sold it. Kinda helped.

Top Bottom