What's new

Merkur Futur and Knurling Tool

I wonder if some of the people who claim to have problems gripping the handle of the Futur will go on to say that they have no problems gripping the razor head for closeness adjustments or blade changes:lol:

I wonder if some of the people who claim to have problems gripping the handle of the Futur will go on to say that they have no problems gripping the razor head for closeness adjustments or blade changes:lol:

Both actions which don't require prolonged, stable grip. Pretty easy to imagine the distinction, IMHO. :001_smile

V

VR6ofpain

I don't have any grip problems with my polished chrome Futur. Then again I don't adjust it much either. I found the 2 setting to work well, and left it there. I still think the Futur is very odd in its design. The razor has serious blade gap and requires different angles when shaving. Once you figure it out, the razor becomes somewhat mild. I'll likely have to break it out again, as I haven't used it for a while since I got a Cooncatbob BM UL handle and mounted a Merkur 1904 head on it (shaves like a dream).

Zombie thread!

Can't believe nobody mentioned pencil grips - about the right size, in various materials and shapes good for enhancing grip. Wish I had a picture, but I forced a rubber one on my old Futur before I sold it. Kinda helped.
Actually, these work quite well. Just stay away from the "Hello Kitty" ones.

Absolutely no problems here. If you want a relatively foolproof and safe way to adjust the Futur, here's what you do. Simply place your thumb on the top of the razor head. With the same hand, place your index and middle fingers underneath the head on either side of the handle. Just imagine you are hanging your razor on the finger tip pads of those two fingers. Press down with your thumb to grip and with your other hand, twist the handle to adjust. Even wet, you should be able to change settings without difficulty unless the razor mechanism is unusually stiff.

Last edited:
Has anyone tried plastidip? Available at the hardware store, I have used it on slippery hand tools in the past and it works well. It's easily removable as well so it might be worth a shot. I don't have any Merkur razors myself but I thought it might work.

Has anyone tried plastidip? Available at the hardware store, I have used it on slippery hand tools in the past and it works well. It's easily removable as well so it might be worth a shot. I don't have any Merkur razors myself but I thought it might work.

I've used it in the past on other items, and had pretty good luck with anything but chrome surfaces. A matte Futur would be a cinch.

This thread has more activity post necro than the original. :lol:

I'm now really curious as to how the knurling went.

Just tried something new ..took a wire brush on my buffer and sanded the hell out of it..then some sandpaper and a file..now has a super grip ...hardly damaged it except for the plating (which was my intention) and put a nice swirl pattern on it..works great now. The handle is solid brass so unless you are using a rasp you won,t really damage it..just rough it up a bit and bingo ..better than new!!!!

I have to say that I seen a futur today for the first time in person. Its too big for my taste. Im use to a good old gillette adjustable. getting to the grip, I work in leather all the time. I have this premium kangaroo leather lace. Its real durable and looks great. If you use a couple methods used in lacing rope ends. You could wrap the handle in this nice lace. After wetting it it will shrink even tighter. Problem solved. You could wet this stuff a thousand times and it will hold up. You could even put a loop at he end and slip your wrist through, for the times you may be hung over... just kidding about the loop end. papi

If you're like me, then I predict you will sell it.

A great shave should be a totally relaxing experience. All those little doubts, worries, or extra steps just erode the pleasure of the experience. That's why I gave up on Williams: it took so long to whip up a good lather that I was always worried about my whiskers drying out and having to dehydrate my face before I lathered. It was disruptive enough for me ask why bother. I don't need extra things to resolve when I shave, and if I were in your position, I know I would eventually sell the razor or pack it away in my stash if I really did want to keep it.

I hope you find a suitable solution for yourself. If you do find a one-time set and forget fix, though, then, hey, you're golden.

Last edited:
I find the Futur handle's lack of knurling is made up for by the contouring of the handle. No problems with slipping, even when wet. That said, I always prefer a knurled handle.

Just tried something new ..took a wire brush on my buffer and sanded the hell out of it..then some sandpaper and a file..now has a super grip ...hardly damaged it except for the plating (which was my intention) and put a nice swirl pattern on it..works great now. The handle is solid brass so unless you are using a rasp you won,t really damage it..just rough it up a bit and bingo ..better than new!!!!

The handle on the Futur is not plated brass, it a big hunk of plated Zamak.
If you wanted to knurl it would be best to remove the plating first as this creates a hard surface to knurl, then it would need to be replated.

Harvey sent me his Futur to see what I could do to improve the grip.
Unfortunately he'd taken a wire wheel to the handle so first thing I had to mount the handle in the lathe and clean it up.
I discovered after cutting through what was left of the plating that the handle was solid Zamak with a brass threaded insert in the end.
After cleaning up the handle I cut .030 deep grooves and then polished the handle.
The handle is now going to have to be replated, and it going to have to be copper plated first to seal the Zamak before it can be plated with the top plating.
proxy.php

I am so lucky to have sent this to Bob..he has made many wonderful handles for me and his workmanship is super...this may make this razor a new must have AFTER it has been modified . It has always shaved great but the original grip is not safe.. I know you can use O-rings and tape but why should you. This will be the answer for many of us Futur users. (by the way I do not work for Bob and he is still working out the cost) he is the best at this sort of thing. he is local,USA based and fair priced. May the razor GODS shine today!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Got the razor today and Bob has done it again..a true masterpiece ..practically bonded to my hand..impossible to slip..what a beauty.

I have the satin finish Futur and it's fine.. but that doesn't help you..

I would go the o-ring route.. Readily available; removable if you want to clean; non-invasive; easily adjustable to get them positioned as you want; available in tons of colors if you wanted to get creative.

This being said I love this...

Bob, If this turns out to be something available to the masses, let me know..I'd do mine like that just for fun! Or better yet, turn the rings in it for me and then anodize it!! PM me if you think it's something you'd be interested in doing and we can discuss!! PS-I have one of your anodized Bull Mastiff handles..used it yesterday on a Hoffritz/Merkur slant..and I love it!

Last edited:
Got the razor today and Bob has done it again..a true masterpiece ..practically bonded to my hand..impossible to slip..what a beauty.

Glad you like it Harvey because it one of a kind.
Had to use a favor with guy at the brass shop, since the handle was solid Zamak it had to have a acidless copper wash before it could be replated.

Too bad..the world waits for Futur improvement..at least I have one !!! For Sale
........$ 10,000.00 plus a new Porsche turbo and a Rolex !!!!!!! Solid Gold!!!

Top Bottom