What's new

Merkur Futur - A Most Unlikely Razor

As others have pointed out, the picture in the post above is not of a Merkur Futur cap. The Futur cap has neither a threaded post nor the spring loaded receptacles for non-threaded posts. Those receptacles are on the base plate, and the Futur cap has two non-threaded posts as you can see in the picture below.
View attachment 1417765
I was technically correct in saying that the photo posted by @Old School TSD was not of a Futur cap, but I was clearly incorrect in implying that the photo was not of a Futur razor. I had never disassembled mine, so I did not recognize that his photo was of the baseplate. My humble apologies to @Old School TSD.

Ratso

Mr. Obvious
I have more than a couple razors that seem slippery at times. I just run my fingers over the alum block and I now have the grip of an NFL wide receiver. I saw that trick in one of the many YouTube videos I watched when I got into this hobby.

I was technically correct in saying that the photo posted by @Old School TSD was not of a Futur cap, but I was clearly incorrect in implying that the photo was not of a Futur razor. I had never disassembled mine, so I did not recognize that his photo was of the baseplate. My humble apologies to @Old School TSD.
No worries, but you're incorrect on all fronts.
It is a Futur cap, not threaded, just wearing out and falling apart like the rest of this junk razor.
16462378113934836213136473761679.jpg
16462378415001945461216616145396.jpg

Two things have bothered me about the Futur. It's far too aggressive for my tastes and the handle is too slippery. The numerous clones out there I find to be much less aggressive (and much less expensive).

This is a thread about the joy of owning the Futur. I do confess, I am more in line with Old School TSD in how I regard zamac; however, I did buy a venerable Q shave clone and for the price of $12 delivered, I do enjoy the design.:smile1:

As I've mentioned elsewhere I have held the Futur and it was one of the worst safety razors I have held. It felt like a toy compared to my 39c Sledgehammer. Even my Slim adjustable and my Schick Shift Injector feel much better in the hand. I also had reservations about the pop-off cap. I wasn't sure about it's lifespan and I was also worried 'what if it came off during the shave?'

I am fully aware there are some that will disagree with me, but YMMV comes to mind!

Jason.

The Futur was the first razor I spent some coin on. When I bought mine years ago I think I gave around $80 or $90. I used it exclusively and liked it so much I never even thought about buying any other razor. On 5 or 6 I got BBS every time with no issues.

Several months ago my Futur started shaving erratic. One side would be fine but flip it around and it was like the blade was barely making contact with my skin. I took it apart, cleaned and oiled it to no avail. Upon closer inspection, the head of the razor seemed to be cockeyed. I thought maybe the spring was fatigued so I emailed the manufacturer and got a new one. But alas, even with a new spring one side of my beloved futur would not shave close no matter the setting.

My Merkur Futur is my first DE Razor I purchased 10 years back. I have the polished version. I love it very much. I never had it slip my hands in the 10 year use I have with it and find it very durable.

I usually keep the setting at 3. I may have to dial it down for when I shave at the neck line as I try to get is bbs as I do with my cheeks, but I can never succeed when going against the grain. It leaves me irritation on the neck with a 3 pass shave, but that is quickly resolved in a matter of minutes with cold water, after shave, or in about 10-15 mins if I don't bother with either.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
Posting a photo of the futur fully disassembled, it can be seen that it has the same blade tray.
The construction is very simple and one of the easiest to dismantle adjustable I've come across.
View attachment 1418008

Demonstration video of disassembly.
The method is very simple, just squeeze the blade tray & base plate with three fingers to compress the spring, and then the handle can be rotated down.
The key to removing and installing is to keep squeezing until you get around the bump.

I wanted to write "30 years" earlier, but a few hours later I realized that I had written "70 years" by mistake, and the B&B cannot be edited again; "Okay, that's it" I thought.
It's interesting that someone had seen the same design in a Hoffriz store back in the 1970s, but not sure how Merkur worked with Hoffriz to make it, and why the patent application wasn't filed until 1983... it's all a mystery .
↓(A version of Hoffriz from the 1970s, you can see the Hoffriz lettering on the top cover)
View attachment 1418012
Obviously, due to the time-to-market and design-time gap, patents are limited in some countries.

Therefore, some people speculate that it is very likely that merkur is not the original design, but purchased the drawings of the old design; the current response to customers is dovo, the gold owner behind merkur, so in fact they do not know the real ins and outs, only know that Hoffriz and Merkur used to have close contacts.

WOW dude! I didn't know that there were any 4-piece razors out there, dang dude, thats a lot to fiddle with to get aligned. Do you find that you have any troubles with setting it all up? I will say I like the chrome shine on it, in its completed form, waiting for the next shave.

ERS4

My exploding razor knows secrets
WOW dude! I didn't know that there were any 4-piece razors out there, dang dude, thats a lot to fiddle with to get aligned. Do you find that you have any troubles with setting it all up? I will say I like the chrome shine on it, in its completed form, waiting for the next shave.
Strictly speaking, merkur futur is still a "two-piece razor", we just need to pop the cap of the futur to install the blade; except that we can break down all the parts for cleaning.
Like the gillette fatboy would still be classified as a "One Piece Razor" (TTO) and no one would call it a "14 Piece Razor" based on the number of parts.
In fact the futur shaves really well, but the huge cap really interferes with the run under the nose; I also found that the higher the digital scale on this design, the more unstable the spring.

And the US$76 for the chrome plated zamak head is really not worth it, which is enough for me to get a better all-copper adjustable razor or a three-piece stainless steel razor.
The chrome finish is appearance lied, just to protect the perishable interior, doesn't convince me.

I have given my futur to a friend and it lost my love.

I'm probably gonna get a Futur just for curiosity's sake and because I want to try what would be my first adjustable.
I found a "legit from what I've researched" place online that sells the matte version with a 10% off coupon for $50.
Considering that it's not a clone, it's not to much $$ for the sake of experimentation!

Last edited:

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

I'm probably gonna get one just for curiosity's sake and because I want to try what would be my first adjustable.
I found a "legit from what I've researched" place online that sells the matte version with a 10% off coupon for $50.
Considering that it's not a clone, it's not to much $$ for the sake of experimentation!

Which adjustable razor?

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

The Futur!
Just edited my post!

Excellent deal! I remember that razor now, going to post a picture so other's can see what that razor looks like...

Merker Futor Adjustable Razor.jpg

This is one of the razors that I was looking at awhile back. What I love most about this razor is the handle, it just looks so good and futuristic. I really hope that you will like it!

I love my VDH clone. I'm very tempted to buy the original.
I have both and like them both but for different reasons. The VDH version is great, not quite as aggressive/efficient per setting, but gets the job done in any event. The VDH is easier to disassemble and clean then the Futur, since the internal spring is much less powerful. I also notice, even with same blade gap, same blade exposure, and even gaps across, one side will shave about a half notch more aggressive than the other. Not a problem, where I need a little more aggression, I use that side. The Futur however, is identical in all respects with either sides characteristics. I have the glossy finish Futur, never slips in the hand either. The VDH would be my choice for a travel razor tho.

Top Bottom