What's new

Merkur Futur -1st Impression

After hearing so many rave reviews of the Merkur Futur, I finally broke down and had to try one for myself. I loaded up my new satin Futur with a Gillette Yellow and set it on 2 figuring that I better play it conservatively for the 1st shave.

The Futur did not disappoint. It is such a heavy instrument that it kind of reminded me of mowing the lawn with a power assisted mower. In other words, the razor did all of the work and I was just along for the ride. That being said, the Futur gave both auditory feedback (the trademark singing blade) and tactile feedback while I effortlessly removed stubble.

My shave was excellent (irritation free and BBS). After I get a little more mileage with the Futur I may try dialing it up but, it certainly is not necessary.

I need to pick one of these up. I have the Progress and the Mergress and to be honest, I am very happy with them. I easily get BBS with 3 passes using IPs, Sharks, and Iridiums.

So the question is, do you have a progress and if so, would you recommend buying the razor to someone who already has a progress?

I need to pick one of these up. I have the Progress and the Mergress and to be honest, I am very happy with them. I easily get BBS with 3 passes using IPs, Sharks, and Iridiums.

So the question is, do you have a progress and if so, would you recommend buying the razor to someone who already has a progress?

I do have a Progress and love it. However I do not see any redundancy between the Progress and the Futur...they are definitely different beasts. I will be using both the Futur and the Progress in my rotation.

I would imagine that the new Long-Handled Progress and the Futur would be more similar to each other. However this is mere speculation since I have not yet used a long-handled Progress.

I love my Futur. I have no intentions of purchasing another razor any time soon (though I recently received a 1962 Gillette Adjustable as a gift). Nothing really compares to the Futur. I can get near BBS in 3 passes and DFS in 2 passes if I'm careful.

I've recently discovered that if I pay more attention to the position of the head and the blade and less attention to the bar, I can get even better shaves with the Futur. Of course, you can't use any pressure at all and have to really learn to let the razor do the work.

I've been eyeballing another Futur for a long time now. Had one and sold/traded it.

Seller's remorse......

I love my Futur. Occasionally I stray :001_smile But of the 3 razors I use, Futur, E J Chatsworth and a 37c the Futur's shave last the longest. I think I know its probably because I've used it the longest and believe it or not use it with a little pressure under my jawline with absolutely no irratation. I use a IP in the Futur and a Feather in the other 2. All 3 leave my face BBS.

Last edited:
Futur and new Muehle Head design are my 2 favorite razors. Matter of fact, i have not touched any other razor in over 6 weeks now.

The Futur is wonderful. No doubt about it. Just don't get too cocky as it can bite if you're not careful. I think the aspect of design the makes it so good is that the blade tension is very low, which effectively makes it a "full hollow" DE. This has marvellous ramifications when you're on-song, but if you get it wrong it can literally skin you alive!

I have to admit I am a fan of the Futur, it is my travel razor as it can be easily replaced and is built like a tank. For Airline travel I tend to take the HD because it is lighter but whenever possible I go with the Futur. I personally think it works well with a number of blades and the adjustment works well.

Mine was fault free and is a pleasure to use.

No need to elongate the praises about the Futur...:sleep: Mine, well, what a piece!! Fabulous BBS and design on hand...the best Merk' around!! The 23C is a twin on results but that's another story...

I have a question about the Futur.... It looks like that "cap" is a clip-on type design. My impression is that it looks flimsy but I have never had my hands on one. Any opinions on this aspect of the Futur....especially longevity. (To my untrained eye it looks like it would wear out fairly quickly.)

I have a question about the Futur.... It looks like that "cap" is a clip-on type design. My impression is that it looks flimsy but I have never had my hands on one. Any opinions on this aspect of the Futur....especially longevity. (To my untrained eye it looks like it would wear out fairly quickly.)

The cap remains well attached under the pression of two wires above the tray blade...mine is tip-top about aging.

Another Futur thread! :thumbup::thumbup:

Great razor. As much as I like whipping around my face with a short-handled HD, I've started to love holding that big chunk of metal and easing it along. I get far less irritation with my Futur.

The Futur is built like a tank and there is nothing flimsy about it...cap included.

BullGoose's post prompted me to try the Futur. I have one because when I decided to resume DE shaving, after a 25 or 30 year hiatus, the first thing I did was to order a Futur. But by the time it arrived I had gotten comfortable again with my old SuperSpeed that had been sitting on the shelf during the hiatus.

Putting a blade (RPIP) in the Futur seemed easy enough, I looked at the gap, dialed it down all the way for starters, and shaved. The result was a nice, comfortable shave. The size of the razor meant that with my current technique, I missed some spots under the nose that I'd ordinarily have gotten.

On one point I have to disagree with BullGoose... I found a near complete absence of tactile feedback.

On the whole, this razor is too big and too heavy for me and so I'll be making mine available to the Badger & Blade Razor Lending Consortium.

Jack, I have been using mine daily, for almost 3 years now. It is as good as the day I bought it.
Actually the Futur has one of the best blade holding systems around.
It's end bars and sping loaded cap hold the blade in a very solid and repeatable position. I believe this is why it shaves so consistantly.
As Bullgoose said this thing is a tank of a razor.

Love my Futur. I think its the sheer weight of it that i like. Just let the weight do the work. The adjustability is a nice feature as different blades shave differently and it allows you some adjustment.

I find if i choke up on it and hold it between my thumb and first finger i can get almost a pivot effect that shaves quite well.

About my only complaint is the head can be a little large for shaving around the edge of the nose. Other than that its a well built piece of gear.

Top Bottom