What's new

Merkur DE - Bloody Neck

Odd title, I know :001_smile

I have been shaving with a good brush and some Proraso/T&H and have had no problem getting a good lather and shaving most parts of my face with my DE. There is one area, however, that when I pass over it, no matter how little pressure I add, my neck turns into a bloody mess with at least 10-15 miniscule cuts. This area is about 1 cm to the right and to the left of my adam's apple. It seems worst when I have to shave more often (for instance, if I don't shave for 5-6 days it is usually okay). I have tried stretching the skin when I shave there, and using some different angles with the razor, but it seems like there are tons of tiny permanent non-visible bumps under that area and when I pass over them: bloodbath :bored:

Does anyone have any advice and/or similar problems?

I appreciate your help!!!!!

I used to have a problem like that when I first switched to DE my upper lip used to bleed no mater how much pressure was there due to these small bumps. However after two weeks the bumps disappeared thanks to the DE and Now everything is fine.

your problem seems similar to mine and seems like it could have been caused by razor bumps you received when you used a mach3 etc.

Just give it a bit more time then if you still have problems see a dermatologist.

Hope this helps.

Cheers.

They may be razor bumps...if so, be extra careful shaving in that area. Those particular areas that you mentioned can also be a problem for me. Here's what I recommend you do. Skip a day of shaving and see if you can determine what direction your hair grows in that direction. For me, in that area around the adam's apple, my hair grows up. I used to always make my first pass on my neck in a N-S direction, leading to nicks. Now I shave the upper 2/3rds of my neck in a N-S direction and the lower 1/3rd in a S-N direction and I reverse for my second pass. It has worked very well for me.

Thanks for all the excellent feedback guys, I really appreciate it.

It has not happened before with any other razors, only the DE (which is unfortunately the non-adjustable). I tried switching blades from the Merkurs, which seemed a little more "harsh," but it hasn't helped. As far as it possibly being razor bumps, I am not sure. I normally don't get irritation/redness shaving and have never noticed bumps before, I just assumed that there probably was some under the skin, because I could see no other way how a 1-inch squared area could produce 10-15 cuts :confused:

I guess I haven't had problems with razor bumps before to know enough. So it sounds like that is what they are? Maybe I need to buy a bump relief cream for after shaving in hopes that they will go away?

I have similar problem and I mentioned the reason on several other posts.

Merkur DE is way too "aggresive". I had to sell mine and buy a Fat Boy Gillette Adjustable which you can adjust to the lowest setting of 1 when shaving your neck area.

I fail to understand why Merkur is so highly praised. One needs at least 5 year experience in DE shaving :)001_smile ) before wielding a dangerous weapon like that.

Well a couple of things...I am assuming you are using an HD, classic or long handle since you mention non-adjustable. I wouldn't say that these are VERY aggressive and need 5 years experience. You also don't mention how long you have been using a DE. With time your face should adjust and hopefully the bumps go away. I can't shave my neck as close as the rest of my face...with the grain and cross grain is about it...any more and I will pay for it. Maybe just do 2 with grain passes for a while until your face clears up before introducing a cross grain pass.

I also don't usually go 5-6 days without shaving...my face responds better to shaving every day...sometimes on the weekends I might skip a day or possibly 2 if I have to.

You mention changing from Merkur Blades...what did you change to? The Israelli Personnas and Derbys seem to be pretty forgiving. The Euro Gillettes and Feathers are sharper and less forgiving.

Well a couple of things...I am assuming you are using an HD, classic or long handle since you mention non-adjustable. I wouldn't say that these are VERY aggressive and need 5 years experience. You also don't mention how long you have been using a DE. With time your face should adjust and hopefully the bumps go away. I can't shave my neck as close as the rest of my face...with the grain and cross grain is about it...any more and I will pay for it. Maybe just do 2 with grain passes for a while until your face clears up before introducing a cross grain pass.

I also don't usually go 5-6 days without shaving...my face responds better to shaving every day...sometimes on the weekends I might skip a day or possibly 2 if I have to.

You mention changing from Merkur Blades...what did you change to? The Israelli Personnas and Derbys seem to be pretty forgiving. The Euro Gillettes and Feathers are sharper and less forgiving.

He heh, darn! I bought the feathers thinking they were less sharp......
I haven't been doing any cross grain passes, only down once and still: blood. I will try to get some derbys and keep working on it. Thanks!

Top Bottom