What's new

Merkur DE blades

I got a Merkur blade with my first DE razor. Not knowing any better, I thought it gave a fine shave. I soon tried Derbys, which were awful, and thought even more of the Merkur blade, despite many negative reviews here. Shortly after, though, I found Astra SPs and settled on them as my regular blade. I bought a few hundred and have been happy for nearly 5 years.

About a month ago, I was PIFd some Merkur blades along with a Gillette Old Type purchase. I put a Merkur in my 34C last week, and the blade was pretty awful - tugging, whiskers left uncut. So, I'm either of the opinion that all Merkurs are bad and I didn't know any better 5 years ago or, as I've seen suggested here before, that Merkur supplies a higher grade blade with their razors than they sell separately.

I got a Merkur blade with my first DE razor. Not knowing any better, I thought it gave a fine shave. I soon tried Derbys, which were awful, and thought even more of the Merkur blade, despite many negative reviews here. Shortly after, though, I found Astra SPs and settled on them as my regular blade. I bought a few hundred and have been happy for nearly 5 years.

About a month ago, I was PIFd some Merkur blades along with a Gillette Old Type purchase. I put a Merkur in my 34C last week, and the blade was pretty awful - tugging, whiskers left uncut. So, I'm either of the opinion that all Merkurs are bad and I didn't know any better 5 years ago or, as I've seen suggested here before, that Merkur supplies a higher grade blade with their razors than they sell separately.

Honestly I have heard awful things about the Merkur blades all around. Though there were the select few that has no issues with them.. i guess they're just only meant for the rare select few who could use them, but in my opinion after trying to use the Merkur mustache and eye bro safety razor, which only Merkur makes those types of blade that fit it, the blades were dull and horrible. I returned that razor immediately. Great idea for a safety razor, horrible performance with no way to get any other company brand blades for it. My only opinion of Merkur is that they make fantastic razors, just not great blades.

Yep, Merkur blades are not the sharpest. The few I tried were pretty smooth, but the shaves were not spectacular.

I couldn't see a reason for keeping them around.

Merkur blades work well in my Weber PH, but not in any other razor I have tried. Derby blades work well in the same razor but not as well in any other razor I've tried them in. Go figure.

I can get a decent shave out of a Merkur blade but nothing special. They are far too expensive for what they are; a mid-quality blade at best.

I use Derby blades about 90% of the time. I've never had a bad shave with them that I could attribute to the blade. I've used 10 Feathers, and don't know why people love them. They are OK, but nothing special - no better than Derby. The Merkur blades that came with my new razors did worse than Derby, and I'll never buy Merkur blades. It is that whole YMMV thing. I've got close to 200 Derby blades and will not ever buy another Feather. That is the opposite of what many people find. It is good for me, though, because Derby blades are cheap...:biggrin1:

I don't have experience to compare with much - have only tried Derby, Dorco, and Merkur from my sampler so far. But I can say Merkur is not the sharpest. I can get a good from them. No nicks or weepers.

My lineup will always have the Merkur blade in it for use in my Flare Tip. I love trading for Merkurs.. and I have many high quality blades in my lineup. ... "no nicks and no weepers" says it all... These are from Solingen Germany for crying out loud.

The only two I tried were the ones that came with two razors, and were fine blades. However, they were no better than Astras.

The only two I tried were the ones that came with two razors, and were fine blades. However, they were no better than Astras.

+1. They work OK in my new Wolfman SB, but so does most everything else I have tried. I still do not think these will end up in my top 5.

My lineup will always have the Merkur blade in it for use in my Flare Tip. I love trading for Merkurs.. and I have many high quality blades in my lineup. ... "no nicks and no weepers" says it all... These are from Solingen Germany for crying out loud.
My thoughts exactly, love them! From the "city of blades"

If these blades could be picked up at a lower price, I'd have a small supply. Never had a problem with this blade aside from price. Even in bulk the price really doesn't come down.

For me, the $0.50-1.00 per blade range is reserved for famous vintage blades.

Yep. Folks here love the razors, but not the blades.

To be fair to the brand I gave these a try in my new Wolfman SB. Trying to dial in the best combination. My conclusion is that the Merkurs were NOT BAD, BUT THEY ARE NOT GOOD EITHER.

Well now I'm scared.
My little experience so far with using 3 blades: Merkur sold with my razor, Derby and Feather.
I'm usually a straight razor user but sometime I don't have the time.

So, first time I shaved with my DE using the Merkur blade I was very surprised, as I felt absolutely nothing and I thought my technique was wrong. But cleaning the razor I could see lots of hairs in the sink so it was actually working. This DE thing is no joke.
Finished my shave with 2 passes for a very close shave I was happily surprised, next 3 shaves gave me the same impression.

Then, I used some Derby. Horrible experience, pulling sensation, many irritation looking for a BBS that I couldn't really get. I used 3 Derby blades with 3 to 4 shaves each, just to be sure (and because they were the only ones I took with me on holidays).

Now, I'm using some Feather. Well, indeed sharper than the Derby, but to me definitely more pulling sensation than the Merkur.
Basically I see no difference in the result, both provide very close shave, now the feather leaves me with way more irritation and blood spots than the Merkur. So far I'm at 3 blades with feathers. 3 to 4 shaves each.

So I wonder : how useful is that feather shapeness? If this only provides more irritations...

sorry to say that my Merkur blade is my best experience so far. YMMV thing.
Now, reading the first post I'm scared as I just bought a stock of Merkur blades from The Ultimate Shave (they only sell Feather and Merkur) along with my new Simpson 57 brush.
I haven't received the pack yet but I really hope the experience of FL shaver will not be mine, and Merkur just doesn't have 2 different qualities of blades.
I'll let you know.

Last edited:
Not fond of Merkur blades. The seem a bit rough and not super sharp - for the money they ask, you want sharp and smooth blades.

I never tried Merkur because, they're too expensive, you can get any other blades at lover price. Only Solingen blade I tried is Timor and I tossed it in the middle of a shave.

I've said it many times but I just do not find different results among the blades. I picked up Merkurs with my first DE razor purchase. They were ok. When I branched out into Derby, Shark, Feather, Rapira, 7 O'Clock, Perma-Sharp, PolSilver, and others, they too were ok. I have seen some critics say that many beginners pick up Merkurs, apply beginner's technique, then forever blame the blade for poor shaves. Your experience is opposite, with the poor shaves coming later. Myself, I never found them bad, just not any better in performance to justify the price.

Top Bottom