What's new

Merkur Blades or not?

Having just bought a Futur, I'm now wondering whether I should stick with the Merkur blades or get some Wilkinson Sword / Personna / Israeli Personna blades.

Anyone have any input on
a) whether this would be a good plan
b) where to get them quickly and inexpensively in the UK?

Thanks!

Blades are such a highly personal preference you are going to get a multitude of replies to this question. The best advice I can give you is to purchase one of the DE sampler packs from John (letterk) and give them all a whirl.

It's an excellent way to find out which blades you like and don't like.

One other thing to add to the confusion. The same blade can perform quite differently in different razors!

The future is the first and only razor I've bought...so far. I bought the sample pack like mentioned above. For me, the merkurs and the feathers gave me razor burn. The swedes were better, and the best shave for me came from the israelies and the derby extras... but yes, one can't go wrong with trying them all out and remember, try to give each blade several shaves to really get a good feel for them.

-Brandon

... also, perhaps as big of an influence on my shave is the setting I use. I used my trusty derby's this morning but increased the setting from 3 to four on the with the grain passes and got some burn on my neck. The best shaves I get are around the 3 setting... 2.5 against the grain on my neck.

-Brandon

Hmmm, I hadn't really thought that much about the setting. Having come from Mach3, the option puzzles me somewhat. 1=lighter, 6=harsher?

The blade sampler is a good suggestion.

Also, a more accurate way to discuss settings might be 1=low blade exposure or passive and 6=high blade exposure or aggressive.

dance said:
Having just bought a Futur, I'm now wondering whether I should stick with the Merkur blades or get some Wilkinson Sword / Personna / Israeli Personna blades.

Anyone have any input on
a) whether this would be a good plan
b) where to get them quickly and inexpensively in the UK?

Thanks!

Hi Dance, welcome to B&B

We are fairly hard done by regards choice in DE razor blades, there are a few options to you though. The choice of what blade should I use is very subjective and I get on very well with Wilkinson Sword blades which you can buy in 5s or 10s in Boots, if you find them OK after your first pack you can buy them by the hundred from Blademail for £13.15:

http://www.blademail.co.uk/acatalog/bulk.html

Recently, yasuo200365 (John) pointed out that the Tesco branded DE blades were very good, I've used them and he's right. They're about the sharpest Blades available to us in the UK ant they're £2 for 10.

I have also ordered 100 Derbys from this forum's recommendations, lots of people use them and get on really well with them. They were less than £10 including postage from the US to the UK. Unfortunately the two auctions on ebay offering these blades has ended but I'm sure someone here will shout when they come up again at that price.

Finally there are the Swedish Gillettes that are often spoken about in B&B, available from John Lewis but not for bulk purchase.

dance said:
Hmmm, I hadn't really thought that much about the setting. Having come from Mach3, the option puzzles me somewhat. 1=lighter, 6=harsher?

I wouldn't put the Futur above 2 when you first start using it, it has the capacity to shred your face if your not careful on the higher settings.

Here's another vote for the blade sampler from letterK (good rec), and a guess that you'll wind up preferring the Derbys.:biggrin:

Top Bottom