What's new

Merkur Blade Trial Started

After hearing and reading all the various opinions on the Merkur blades from Germany, I thought I'd try some.
Not bad AT ALL.
It might have this random blade that just worked well in my Travel Tech, but if it's any indication of the others, and holds an edge, I like it. (The cut wasn't quite as clean, or smooth as the Feathers I'd been playing with, but a DFS all the same.)

I had previously used the Derby, and 7 O'clock, and Feathers, so I kind of had a baseline for what to expect in a decent blade. The Merkur actually kind of surprised me with the results and comfort. We'll see if the rest of the pack, or a different pack produce a different quality shave. I hope they hold up. The first shave was awesome.

As always, YMMV. I was just happy to learn that they can do a MUCH better than just "average" job, and aren't the junk that had been portrayed in some posts.

More shaves to come...

Like you said YMMV. I have yet to come across a better all-around blade than the Merkur blades. If they weren't so expensive they would be my number 1 blade for sure - and I have tried many the last 8 years or so.

I see the bad opinions on this blade all the time and wonder, 'If they're so bad, why do they continue to sell for such a high price?'. Go figure.

Would like to learn your opinion on their longevity after you get a few more shaves in.

I tried the Merkur when I first started DE shaving and I didn't really like it. It felt rough and unforgiving. I suspect it was due to my lack of experience and technique. I have come to appreciate the German blades and really like the Wilkinsons, Bolzanos, and Croma Diamants. The Merkurs will probably be just as good as the other German blades for me now.

I tried the Merkur when I first started DE shaving and I didn't really like it. It felt rough and unforgiving. I suspect it was due to my lack of experience and technique. I have come to appreciate the German blades and really like the Wilkinsons, Bolzanos, and Croma Diamants. The Merkurs will probably be just as good as the other German blades for me now.

Same here. I never gave them another shot after tossing the few I shaved with. Even at the beginning, you can tell if a blade is dull and tugging on your whiskers...that's exactly what these Merkur blades did for me..so yea YMMV.

Merkur blades aren't that expensive. Last time I bought one, it was about $30 and they even gave me a free razor with it.

Because I have only ever had a couple of them, I haven't tested them in a variety of razors. But in the Merkur razors they come with they usually seem to work pretty nicely. The only reason I don't own more is finding other blades that work just as well for a much lower price.

Slipped a Merkur into my Flair Tip Super Speed for last night's shave. My feedback on how well/sharp a new blade operates is the sound it makes while cutting next to my ears and cheeks. The Merkur is sharp.
While not yet a huge fan, it gave me a DFS without any blood loss.
I guess I'm just not seeing the issues that others have had with lesser performance.
So far, so good.

Same here. I never gave them another shot after tossing the few I shaved with. Even at the beginning, you can tell if a blade is dull and tugging on your whiskers...that's exactly what these Merkur blades did for me..so yea YMMV.
Agreed, they are not really a blade for newbies as they are quite sharp, I love them!

In days of yore, when I thought aggressive was the way to go and I was wielding the Behemoth that is the Merkur Futur, I tried these blades. I can only describe the experience as like dragging broken glass across my face, and I was left looking like I had been shot in the chops with buckshot. Now I am even older and wiser, and using a razor that can pretty much tame any blade, I am tempted to try them again, just because I can. In the UK they are the most expensive DE blades you can buy, so they will never be a regular purchase for me however they perform, the question is, am I brave/stupid enough to go there again?

Merkurs aren't all that easy to come by. One was included with my 38C, and I really liked it. But it's the only one I ever tried. What's a good source for more Merkur blades that don't cost a mint?

I am trying out a Merkur now. A good blade. Not crazy sharp. A bit expensive.

The 100 pack of Astra SP is my default blade. And of course fun to try the others, like the Merkur.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
The one that came with the 34c gave me such burn it's amazing I went back ... Yet I do have a 10-pack from a sampler, maybe in a different razor - and now with more experience - it won't be as bad.

AA

Coming up on 3 weeks of Merkur use, and it's all good so far. Been tossing after 5-6 shaves.
I don't have any reason to not like 'em.
Currently installed in my '57 Flair Super Speed, Pre-war Tech, New SC, and Early Model Super Speed.
Might swap out a new Feather for some variety at this point.
The Merkurs are doing just fine.

IMO the 'problem' with Merkur blades is that these are included with some of the 'starter' razors. People then move on to other options.

I personally don't like them. I still have a few left I will give them another try soon but my experience with them has not been very positive. As some one else said, they pull and they are expensive. But, yeah for sure YMMV :001_rolle

Been a month, and getting some of the best shaves with Merkur blades I have ever had. 1st BBS EVER!
The Pre-war Techs seem to deliver the best results, but the Milord and Super Speeds are close behind in "mildness".
For some reason they seem to feel too aggressive in the OC Gillettes I have. Strange, or mental block...
Anyway, we're getting along well, and I throw out the buggers after a half dozen uses. Sometimes less.
Carry on.

Been a month, and getting some of the best shaves with Merkur blades I have ever had. 1st BBS EVER!
The Pre-war Techs seem to deliver the best results, but the Milord and Super Speeds are close behind in "mildness".
For some reason they seem to feel too aggressive in the OC Gillettes I have. Strange, or mental block...
Anyway, we're getting along well, and I throw out the buggers after a half dozen uses. Sometimes less.
Carry on.
Congrats bro!

Top Bottom