What's new

Merkur badger brush

I recently bought a Merkur Futur badger brush as part of a Merkur Futur shaving set. I have not read or seen anything regarding the Merkur badger brushes - I'm looking for information on the brush as to quality of the bristles, longevity of the brush , how it compares with more well known bruch manufacturers etc. Would appreciate any comments........

Tony,

I personally don't own a Merkur brush, but I know the one you speak of. In terms of the quality of the brush, I would offer this tidbit. I'm sure it's a fairly well made brush, but Merkur is in the razor business, not the brush business. I personally would stick to the guys that do this 40 hours a week when buying badger brushes. I think it would be safe to assume that while Merkur probably makes a good brush, it's not anywhere near the caliber of brush a Saville Row/Simpson/Shavemac is. Again, that's not to say it's a bad brush at all. Merkur is probably packing those brushes in with their sets as a selling point to push razor set sales, not because they are selling high quality life long brushes.

These question you may want to direct to Merkur directly.

Tony said:
I recently bought a Merkur Futur badger brush as part of a Merkur Futur shaving set. I have not read or seen anything regarding the Merkur badger brushes - I'm looking for information on the brush as to quality of the bristles, longevity of the brush , how it compares with more well known bruch manufacturers etc. Would appreciate any comments........

Merkur are too "main stream" and not "hoiety toiety" enough for many fellas.... they'll tell you that the only "good" brush is a $200-500 shaving brush. I've owned and used 2 merkur "silvertip" brushes, and both have proven to be good. Keyword - GOOD, not superb. I wouldn't recommend running out and upgrading, as you aren't going to get a world of difference by doing so, but you will spend quite a bit more $.

As far as longevity? That is unanswerable. Longevity will rely on how YOU treat the brush, how you lather, how rough you are with it, etc. :001_smile

Tony said:
For what it is worth, on certain of Merkur's Silvertips, Dovo/Merkur offers a 10-year warranty. You won't find too many other firms offering such a thing. So is it quality? I would not suggest getting buyers remorse just because you don't have a British sir name appended to your brush. BTW, I do not own a Dovo/Merkur brush although I have been eying one or more.:blush:

I'm with Ron. I have been eyeing them for quite some time. Unfortunately, I already have too many brushes.

Austin said:
I'm with Ron. I have been eyeing them for quite some time. Unfortunately, I already have too many brushes.

Come on, Andrew. That is a defeatist attitude. :001_smile

My first badger brush was the Merkur Vision brush. I love it and still use it regularly. I like it more than my Vulfix 2235 but not as much as my Shavemac SMF II or Vulfix travel brush. If I hadn't caught the SBAD bug, I would have been very content with just the Merkur brush.

Top Bottom