What's new

Merkur 46C Travel Razor Review

Well, as I have posted in another thread, I got my travel razor. I thought I should give it a test run prior to hitting the road. Here are my thoughts:

Background
I have come back to traditional shaving recently.
I normally shave with:
- a Merkur 38 HD Classic Barber Pole Long Handle
- AoS pre shave oil, cream and after shave balm
- Personna lab blue blades
- AoS fine badger brush

For this test, the razor is the only thing I changed out.

Pros

• Beautiful shave. Very smooth and no nicks, cuts or other problems.
  • Comfortable shave.
  • Handle is long enough to easily maneuver the razor.
  • Nice razor to look at.
  • The case is first rate and perfectly tailored to the razor so that it all folds very flat.

Cons

• The handle of the razor could use some texture for grip. It looks great, but can get slippery in wet, soapy hands.
  • Needs a blade safe. The kit comes with a pack of blades, but if you buy your blades in bulk packs, they will only have a paper wrapper. For a travel kit of this quality/price, I would prefer a blade safe. It could be metal or plastic, but a blade safe would be far more versatile than the blade pack provided.

Caveat

• This is not a con but a caveat. To get the functionality of the razor for travel purposes, you can only fully tighten/loosen the head to the handle by putting your fingers on the sides of the head. If you are not careful, you could easily cut your fingers. There is room to work safely here, but you must have your head in the game.

Overall Impression – I am very pleased with my new travel razor and would highly recommend it to others who travel and use a DE razor. It is also mild enough to be a good starter razor for someone who is interested in starting to use a DE razor.

$46CKit.jpg

$46C.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom