What's new

Merkur 45 Metal Replacement/Counterpart

For the last few years I've been strictly shaving with the Merkur 45 bakelite and have loved every minute of it. Evry minute other than when the screw came off and had to buy another, that is. I went through 3 of them and this last time I got fed up with lasting me only a couple of years and decided to cahnge to something other than this.

I have an EJ that seems to do ok, but I'm not as crazy about it as I was with the 45. I also just got a Lord L6, and although I'm just getting to know it, does not seem it will make it as my every day shaver.

Do any of you fine people know what would be the Merkur equivalent of this bakelite? If not, any suggestions on any other razor out there that shaves like this one?
Thanks!

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
The radical bend in the blade is unlike other Merkur models as far as I know. It took me a while to adapt to the new angle.

Have you tried a 37C slant?

The radical bend in the blade is unlike other Merkur models as far as I know. It took me a while to adapt to the new angle.

Have you tried a 37C slant?
Thanks Nemo, funny that although it is a dramatic bend, I've never considered or felt it over aggressive. No, I have always steer clear of slants for nonl particular reason. Would you consider it similar in the way it shaves?

How about a FaTip Testina? Plated brass. On my face it feels a bit more aggressive than a Red Tip. Works great with a Feather blade.

Thanks, did not know about those two razors. Both sound just like what I am looking for, especially the FaTip that mentions the 45 as reference in the description.

Do any of you fine people know what would be the Merkur equivalent of this bakelite? If not, any suggestions on any other razor out there that shaves like this one?
Thanks!
Merkur 45 is a bit unique, because it got no blade exposure to talk about but compensating with a bigger gap. It is thus a mild but efficient razor and at the same time very lightweight.

The closest I have experienced is Saiver from Russia. There are several variants of them, but they all shave in a similar way. The safety bar version even got a bit of similar kind of rounded bar. Everything else than the base plate is made out of an aluminum alloy. The base plate is made out of plastic. It is thus very lightweight. They are cheap and you will easily find new Saivers at ebay.

This razor is meant to be loaded with two blades, but I always load it with only one single blade. It is meant to be loaded like this: top cap -> blade -> included shim -> blade -> base plate -> handle. I always load it like this: top cap -> included shim -> blade -> base plate -> handle.

Merkur 45 is a bit unique, because it got no blade exposure to talk about but compensating with a bigger gap. It is thus a mild but efficient razor and at the same time very lightweight.

The closest I have experienced is Saiver from Russia. There are several variants of them, but they all shave in a similar way. The safety bar version even got a bit of similar kind of rounded bar. Everything else than the base plate is made out of an aluminum alloy. The base plate is made out of plastic. It is thus very lightweight. They are cheap and you will easily find new Saivers at ebay.

This razor is meant to be loaded with two blades, but I always load it with only one single blade. It is meant to be loaded like this: top cap -> blade -> included shim -> blade -> base plate -> handle. I always load it like this: top cap -> included shim -> blade -> base plate -> handle.

Saivers, now that is intriguing! Just checked them out and thanks. I for sure ordering that travel version.

Saivers, now that is intriguing! Just checked them out and thanks. I for sure ordering that travel version.
The travel version is my favorite Saiver! It is the razor I always take to sauna and camps. Nowadays I only use two razors: iKon X3 and Saiver. Out of the 30 razors I have used, these two have become my favorites.

I realized I love lightweight razors, because the weights of other razors often causes too much pressure in my opinion. iKon X3 is an aluminum head, and I have paired it with Saiver handles (not the travelers version). I even bought one extra Saiver just to get the handle.

M

member 119848

Hi @Pedro Navaja ,
have you looked into the bakelite razors from PAA? They have brass threads.
I own the bakelite open comb slant and it´s a great razor! It´s a replica of the old german Fasan.

M

member 119848

upload_2018-8-8_20-9-45.jpeg

M

member 119848

@Uncas , thank you for solving this problem!
Pedro, the handle from the PBOCS above is the perfect replacement part for the Merkur 45.
Once you solve this thread issue with a brass to brass thread, you get a lifetime guarantie!
Here are pics from the 45 with a black PBOCS-handle:
AE24D404-0AB4-4693-8742-7E47DD7D1AE2.jpeg

9C8B6E2F-42D3-4194-B011-917BDB94C3DE.jpeg

Razorock baby smooth. Same head shape, Aluminum - or if you wanna spend, Titanium.

This. Owning both (and then some...) I can say they are pretty close in the way they shave and behave. The main difference is in weight and balance as the Razorock Baby Smooth (alu) is light but still way heavier than the Merkur 45.

I used to own Razorock Baby Smooth in aluminum and titanium but both versions didn't really shave quite as well as the Merkur. The Aluminum version was milder than the Merkur and the titanium version was efficient but not as smooth as the Merkur.

Pedro,

I too love the Merkur 45 Bakelite razor. I've had no problems with the screw falling out. There really is no substitute for the Merkur 45.

I'm wondering . . .

Were you tightening the handle too tightly? That might be easy to do with an ultra light-weight razor. The handle just needs to be slightly tight, especially on a light weight razor.

Also is there not some kind of "super glue" that would enable the screw to be reinstalled??

Just wondering.

Top Bottom