What's new

Merkur 45 Bakelite DE Razor First Use & Thoughts (Head Shaving)

hey people so i used had my first ever use with the merkur 45 bakelite de razor which i paired with a gillette silver blue which i also used for the very first time

i had 3 days worth of growth an bare i mind i have very thick coarse hair too,
the razor made light work of it, now the razor is very light, nimble and i found it to be a superb efficient shave, honestly i absolutely loved it

my experience with de/se razors is that you have to take shorter strokes,
but with this merkur 45 you can literally take long strokes and theres no blade chatter and dont need to worry about cutting or catching your skin,
i assume it may be due to the way the blade is held in place maybe? i dont know someone correct me if im wrong

where i think this razor excels is ATG and i think it might be due to the blade angle,
i mention the blade angle as a lot of youtubers even commented on it having a bit of a steeper shaving angle
kinda reminded me of a more aggressive, efficent version of the medium henson de razor i got, of course like anything YMMV

anyways i would defo recommend this razor, however im not sure what the availability of it is like

If you like the 45, you should check out the RazoRock BBS. I believe the design is inspired by the 45 with the same blade bend and shaving angle.

Reactions: saj

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
The RazoRock BBS covers its tabs, weighs more, and is an excellently crafted razor. I’ve never used a Merkur 45, but I almost bought two or three times

Merkur 45 is a cool razor to shave with. I do find that the material of the bakelite drags a bit on my skin but it still provides a good shave. Not the most efficient as I have to buff with it quite a bit but comfortable DFS is achievable. Getting a BBS is a challenge but I don't use it enough to get better at it. It's more of a novelty shave couple times a year with it

Merkur 45 is a cool razor to shave with. I do find that the material of the bakelite drags a bit on my skin but it still provides a good shave. Not the most efficient as I have to buff with it quite a bit but comfortable DFS is achievable. Getting a BBS is a challenge but I don't use it enough to get better at it. It's more of a novelty shave couple times a year with it
yea very cool

its got like a retro feel to it because its bakelite, defo one that has to be any shaving den imho

I bought one of these recently and love it too, and with the GSB also!
They are out of production now I believe so I'm glad I managed to get one as the vendor I purchased from is now out of stock

Not identical but similar
This. I have both the Merkur 45 (for me the nicest shaving recent Merkur and too bad production stopped) and the RR BBS in aluminium. They have rather similar characteristics but are not identical. Both curve the blade more than your average razor. Another razor that does that is the vintage Swedish Swing (with safety bar) that pops up now and then at auctions.

I bought one of these recently and love it too, and with the GSB also!
They are out of production now I believe so I'm glad I managed to get one as the vendor I purchased from is now out of stock
Yea I'm so glad I got one, how much did you get yours for?

Mine was used but good condition paid about £12+ I think

This. I have both the Merkur 45 (for me the nicest shaving recent Merkur and too bad production stopped) and the RR BBS in aluminium. They have rather similar characteristics but are not identical. Both curve the blade more than your average razor. Another razor that does that is the vintage Swedish Swing (with safety bar) that pops up now and then at auctions.
How much do the RR BBS go for?

Are they in just aluminum or bakelite too?

How much do the RR BBS go for?

Are they in just aluminum or bakelite too?
They are available in aluminium (one variety) and stainless steel (in 3 or 4 varieties). The aluminium version goes for $40, the stainless versions almost double that at $70. No bakelite sadly.

Always wanted to try the 45 but it's hard to track down.

The Razorock BBS could be interesting - especially since they have an open comb version.

Always wanted to try the 45 but it's hard to track down.

The Razorock BBS could be interesting - especially since they have an open comb version.
Yep, they do but only in stainless steel so due to the weight difference the shave will be really different than with the merkur; the aluminium version should be a lot closer in that respect.

They are available in aluminium (one variety) and stainless steel (in 3 or 4 varieties). The aluminium version goes for $40, the stainless versions almost double that at $70. No bakelite sadly.
yea think stainless steel wouldnt give it the same feel as the bakelite merkur although i assume it would still feel nice

Top Bottom