What's new

Merkur 41 '1904' open comb vs. Fatip Grande Originale

I recently acquired a Merkur 41 '1904' open comb. I got two shaves out of it and both shaves gave a very similar result. So I think I can make a write up of my experience.
The Merkur's overal design looks very similar to the Fatip Grande open comb. The major differences are that the Merkur is chrome plated zamak, whereas the Fatip is nickel plated brass. The handle is shorter (like the Fatip Piccolo), but the handle width is more in line with the Grande albeit hexagonal instead of round. I had absloutely no issues with holding the hexagonal handle. Both combs have the same number of teeth and the weight/balance of both razors are very similar.
One cannot deny the superior finish of the head of the Merkur. I understand plating zamak requires more layers than plating brass? Machining marks remain visible on the Fatip, though I've read that Fatip has picked up on finish with the elusive Il Grosso???
I used a toothpick to compare the blade exposure. I cannot give exact measurements, but the toothpick glides over comb/top cap without touching the blade, meaning it has a negative blade exposure. With the Fatip, the blade scrapes the toothpick. I believe I have read the exposure is +0.14? Well, this makes a noticeable difference...

I did not notice too much of a difference regarding blade feel or smoothness when shaving. The area above the jaw line for me works as well with the Merkur as with the Fatip, same result.
Under the jaw line it's a different story. No matter how hard I tried I couldn't get a BBS with the Merkur with both shaves and twice I had to switch to the Fatip for the 3rd and final under the jaw pass. (I can only clean the area, chin bent towards neck –bulging the skin– and shave from ear to chin).

Tools used:
YAQI Sagrada Familia 22 mm two band badger
PRORASO pre shave white
MDC / Martin De Candre Original
PRORASO after shave splash green (alcohol)
MSC / Master Soap Creations After shave splash Nordic Croco (alcohol free)
Both razors were loaded with a brand new German SCHICK Stainless Steel/Triple Coated

The SCHICK blades were suggested to me by Fernando from Master Soap Creations. Very smooth blade. I'm expecting some Wizamets to come in next week, which he claims are even better...
I face lather. The Martin De Candre soap doesn't stop amazing me. With the MSC-soaps, it's the only two soaps I can get 3 passes without having to reload. And both give me the best after shave skin feel.
I had hardly any feedback from PRORASO after shave splash!

VERDICT: While the Merkur is a beautiful, pretty efficient razor, it can't beat the performance of the Fatip. Is the extra plating of the Merkur responsible for it being not as efficient? I don't know. I'm still looking for something as efficient as the Fatip ;-)

IMG_6763.jpeg
IMG_6760.jpeg
IMG_6759.jpeg

Cool comparison! I was always under the impression the 1904 was extremely mild, where-as the Fatip is considered moderatly aggressive. You're saying they feel equally aggressive?

I am very sensitive to teeth feel, I dont mind the teeth of Fatip storto (and Ni) because they are smooth, rounded and they are curved inwards/towards the handle. The ones on the Merkur look different and more pointy to me.
The handle is gorgeous though. ☺️

VERDICT: While the Merkur is a beautiful, pretty efficient razor, it can't beat the performance of the Fatip. Is the extra plating of the Merkur responsible for it being not as efficient? I don't know.
I don't think the performance difference is related to the finish but the significant difference in blade exposure as you have found. Having said that, the Merkur 41 is still capable of delivering a close daily shave in 3 passes, as far as I can tell, if you use the correct blade angle.
I still have to do 3 passes with the Fatip to achieve a close daily shave.

Cool comparison! I was always under the impression the 1904 was extremely mild, where-as the Fatip is considered moderatly aggressive. You're saying they feel equally aggressive?

I am very sensitive to teeth feel, I dont mind the teeth of Fatip storto (and Ni) because they are smooth, rounded and they are curved inwards/towards the handle. The ones on the Merkur look different and more pointy to me.
The handle is gorgeous though. ☺️
To me they both felt the same while shaving. Also a very similar audio feedback!
The rounded teeth of the Fatip look more comfortable for sure but I believe once you feel the Merkur’s teeth, your angle is way off!
For me the under the chin area seems to be the deciding factor whether a razor works or not. This may be different for other people!
So yes, same feel. But the Fatip is the more efficient -=aggressive- of the two.

The Merkur 41, 1904 has always been considered a very mild razor. Could be the mildest Open Comb razor on the market.
The Fatip on the other hand has quite a bit of blade exposure. Two very different razors as far as aggression goes.

I don't think the performance difference is related to the finish but the significant difference in blade exposure as you have found. Having said that, the Merkur 41 is still capable of delivering a close daily shave in 3 passes, as far as I can tell, if you use the correct blade angle.
I still have to do 3 passes with the Fatip to achieve a close daily shave.
A slightly flatter or narrower top cap would increase the blade exposure. Maybe a thinner layer of chrome could achieve that? I have no idea how thick the chrome plating is, but probably not thick enough to make a difference? I’m not ready yet to saw the cap in two to check ;-)

Last edited:
However close these two by design, they sit on different sides of a bright line for me.

Shavewise, I love the fatip and am indifferent to the merkur.
I believe I feel the same about it… the ‘bright line’ being the line between positive and negative blade exposure?

The Merkur 41 is good for the person that wants a comfortable daily shave without really needing a BBS result. If you need a BBS, maybe there are better choices.

I believe I feel the same about it… the ‘bright line’ being the line between positive and negative blade exposure?
I assume so, but I don't know if the fatip is positive, neutral, or simply less negative than the Merkur. I would have guessed neutral.

Whatever it is, fatip is exactly on the correct side of the line for me.

Top Bottom