What's new

merkur 39c slant de razor aka 'sledge hammer' first use and thoughts

hey so i used this razor the other day, first ever merkur razor i got,
soon as i opened the razor out of the packaging i though the quality is good, the weight and size is nice,
anyways loaded a feather blade and tbh to my surprise its rather a really mild razor,
obviously YMMV but i have to say i expected more, could be purely because just the size and weight of the razor plus the name 'sledge hammer'

i dont know if its just me, as in the more i shave the more im learning that i prefer aggressive razors with the sharpest blades,
i'd be really interested to hear your thoughts on this razor guys, do you find it mild, in the middle or aggressive?

It's a step up in aggression from the Merkur 34c, but it is not crazy aggressive. People might be a little intimidated by the looks. The heavier handle smooths the shave. If your technique is good, you will get a close shave without irritation. You may find that you can use blades that would not work well with other razors and still get good results with this one.

It's a step up in aggression from the Merkur 34c, but it is not crazy aggressive. People might be a little intimidated by the looks. The heavier handle smooths the shave. If your technique is good, you will get a close shave without irritation. You may find that you can use blades that would not work well with other razors and still get good results with this one.
my hair is very thick and coarse, with the more aggressive razors i find that i have to go over the tougher areas with less passes but i found with the merkur 39c i had to go over a fair few times

my hair is very thick and coarse, with the more aggressive razors i find that i have to go over the tougher areas with less passes but i found with the merkur 39c i had to go over a fair few times
That's probably because you have not used it very much yet. The 39c/Feather combo should mow your whiskers down without trouble. Give yourself some time and practice. Two passes and touch-ups or Three passes and touch-ups is fairly normal.

Reactions: saj
Every beard is different, but there are multiple videos on YouTube of folks shaving weeks long beards with the 37C and 39C in one pass to a near BBS

It could be that you need to adjust your technique to the new razor. Or it could be that your technique is such that you only get good shaves from aggressive razors because they generally allow for a wider range of angles and strokes. Or, in typical B&B fashion, you are one of the many here who claim to have steel wire in place of human hair :lol::lol:

• Haha
Reactions: saj
That's probably because you have not used it very much yet. The 39c/Feather combo should mow your whiskers down without trouble. Give yourself some time and practice. Two passes and touch-ups or Three passes and touch-ups is fairly normal.
i mean normally i get a bit of irritation with feather blades but i didnt get much with it so i got to rate it for that aspect of it

Every beard is different, but there are multiple videos on YouTube of folks shaving weeks long beards with the 37C and 39C in one pass to a near BBS

It could be that you need to adjust your technique to the new razor. Or it could be that your technique is such that you only get good shaves from aggressive razors because they generally allow for a wider range of angles and strokes. Or, in typical B&B fashion, you are one of the many here who claim to have steel wire in place of human hair :lol::lol:
Maybe I'm like the terminator? Lol 😂

I haven't used this razor yet, but I have used a 38C for quite a while, so I'm familiar with Merkur's regular head. You could try shimming the 39C to see if it ups the aggression at all. I tried it on a Razorock razor (all due credit to @Atlantic59) and I did notice a slight difference in aggressiveness. Wasn't a huge difference, but might be just what you need to get you to the sweet spot.

Top Bottom