What's new

Merkur 38hd Repair

I accidentally pulled the bottom part out of my Merkur 38hd while drying it today. When I went to reinsert it back into the handle it would not go up into the handle far enough for the threads to engage and tighten down on the blade. Any ideas why, and how do I fix it?

Despite being called a two piece razor, it's actually three parts. The knob and internal threads are meant to be removed for the occaisional cleaning just like you did. If yours is intact and parts aren't missing, there's that split brass ring towards the bottom where the post/shaft inserts into the handle. What you want to do is pinch that ring, and at the same time insert it. If done right, you should hear a click meaning the ring expanded and is properly installed. Now you should be able to tighten and loosen the head of the 38C, and get back to shaving. Hope this helps!

Despite being called a two piece razor, it's actually three parts. The knob and internal threads are meant to be removed for the occaisional cleaning just like you did. If yours is intact and parts aren't missing, there's that split brass ring towards the bottom where the post/shaft inserts into the handle. What you want to do is pinch that ring, and at the same time insert it. If done right, you should hear a click meaning the ring expanded and is properly installed. Now you should be able to tighten and loosen the head of the 38C, and get back to shaving. Hope this helps!

Does anyone have a spare inner ring that they are willing to part with? I have a Hoffritz that I really like but the ring is broken. Still usable but makes kind of a scratchy noise when tightening/loosening the head.

Thanks for the video which makes what I posted clear. I find on my 34 and 37C razors the retaining ring warps if its removed too often and then it becomes hard to re-insert the threaded shaft. An email I sent off to Anne Rothstein at Merkur resulted in a package received with a couple of extra rings which have been put to use, and I no longer take those two razors apart. Instead I use a q-tip with rubbing alcohol and rinse the tube with hot water after every shave which keeps things pretty clean.

So - If you need a replacement ring for your Hoffritz I would suggest looking up Merkur's email and send a request for a couple of them, which were sent to me at no charge.

Again, as mentioned some of us simply remove the ring. It not only makes the razor easier to clean (and yes you have to be careful) but there's nothing left to bind.

Cheers,

Joe

... I use a q-tip with rubbing alcohol and rinse the tube with hot water after every shave which keeps things pretty clean......

If I could kindly recommend that you try using a thick paste of baking soda with a toothbrush. BS is an abrasive that is non-scratching and seems to work very well on metal. And it rinses off quite nicely.

Top Bottom