What's new

Merkur 38C vs Merkur 37C

I had a 34C and sold it and kind of miss it. I have the chance to pick up a 38C very economically. I have seen some great feedback here on the 37C but hardly anything on the 38C. Yes, the 37C is a slant but does it shave that much better than the 38C? (I'm not a big fan of slants.)

Is the Merkur 38c a non-slant long-handled version of the Merkur 34c?

If so, the Merkur 38c is good for a person with large hands. Also, the longer handle should increase the aggression over the 34c somewhat.

A slant razor (such as the Merkur37c) does shave more efficiently than a 34c, which tends to be a bit mild for many shavers.

Those are your considerations.

If so, the Merkur 38c is good for a person with large hands. Also, the longer handle should increase the aggression over the 34c somewhat.

A slant razor (such as the Merkur37c) does shave more efficiently than a 34c, which tends to be a bit mild for many shavers.

Those are your considerations.

Thanks.

^ Yes.

I'm definitely after mild, so I think I want the 37C. (The Merkur 34C--at least at the time--was borderline too aggressive for me.)

I had a 34C and sold it and kind of miss it. I have the chance to pick up a 38C very economically. I have seen some great feedback here on the 37C but hardly anything on the 38C. Yes, the 37C is a slant but does it shave that much better than the 38C? (I'm not a big fan of slants.)
If you miss the 34C, get the 37C! Both heads on the 34C and the 38C are identical. It's just that one has a short handle and the other one is a long handle which adds a little more weight.
The reason I say to get the 37C over the 38C is because it's the default progression when coming out of the 34C.
It's way way more efficient but maintains the same smoothness. The Merkur slant is really something else!
So yes the slant will shave better than the 38C! (But as always, YMMV!)
I just got the 37C last week after I had bought a vintage Hoffritz slant last month (vintage version of the 37C that's more aggressive!)
I wanted to compare the two and was shocked at how good both of them are. And I own (and have owned) a bunch of other modern and vintage razors including some high end ones. The 23C, 33C & 34C were my first!
They're both my favorites now out of all my razors!!
In regards to the RR German 37. It's kind of a 37C clone but I've heard it's more aggressive. I've had other RR razors but not that one so I can't comment on how it really is.

Check out the thread I made about the Hoffritz & the 37C if you'd like:

LRod

Last edited:
If you miss the 34C, get the 37C! Both heads on the 34C and the 38C are identical. It's just that one has a short handle and the other one is a long handle which adds a little more weight.
The reason I say to get the 37C over the 38C is because it's the default progression when coming out of the 34C.
It's way way more efficient but maintains the same smoothness. The Merkur slant is really something else!
So yes the slant will shave better than the 38C! (But as always, YMMV!)
I just got the 37C last week after I had bought a vintage Hoffritz slant last month (vintage version of the 37C that's more aggressive!)
I wanted to compare the two and was shocked at how good both of them are. And I own (and have owned) a bunch of other modern and vintage razors including some high end ones. The 23C, 33C & 34C were my first!
In regards to the RR German 37. It's kind of a 37C clone but I've heard it's more aggressive. I've had other RR razors but not that one so I can't comment on how it really is.

Check out the thread I made about the Hoffritz & the 37C if you'd like:

LRod
Thank LRod.

^ High praise.

I just sold four razors and could do with still selling a few (a lot!) more. The 38C was on a BST and pretty inexpensive. Walmart has the 37C for $40. Not bad, but I think I'll wait around and scope the BSTs to find a deal on a used one.

How does the Merkur 37C compare to the Razorock German 37? Milder? More aggressive?
I have both, and I can say with confidence that they are virtually identical in that regard. They’re almost indistinguishable from each other looks wise. The baseplate is a bit different on each but it does not impact the shave in my experience (YMMV).

I lean towards the Merkur as my go-to and I picked up the Razorock just as an alternative. You can change up the handle on the Razorock so if you like to customize, that may be the choice for you. I’ve been having the best shaves of my life in the past few weeks using these razors. I wouldn’t call either an aggressive razor but both are oh so efficient. If that makes sense.

Edit: I’ll post a closeup of each razor head when I get a chance to illustrate the slight variation in the baseplate.

Last edited:
Thank LRod.

^ High praise.

I just sold four razors and could do with still selling a few (a lot!) more. The 38C was on a BST and pretty inexpensive. Walmart has the 37C for $40. Not bad, but I think I'll wait around and scope the BSTs to find a deal on a used one.
Sign up to Pasteur Shavings website. They send coupons frequently. I bought my 37C with a 16% off coupon (yes, 16%, not 15%. weird!, Lol).
You'll end up getting a new one for like $30 if you're patient and wait for one of those coupons. I buy almost everything at Pasteur!

Speaking of blades, the factory "Made in Germany" Merkur blade that was included with my 37C was horrible. First time I tried one. Worst blade I've ever tried!
I just received a tuck of Dovo blades that are also made in Germany. They'll be up for tonight's shave with the 37C.
So far my go-to blades on the 37C have been the German Wilkinsons and Bic Chrome Platinum. Excellent with those two!

Back in February, I got three razors: a Merkur 38C, Parker Variant and Rockwell 2c. These were "serious" razors, a step up from the cheapy/drugstore razors I had been using before. I selected these because they're heavy and long. I selected the Merkur 38c because it's an older, established brand. It has only one setting, as opposed to the adjustable Variant and the changeable baseplates of the Rockwell. I'm happy with all of them.

Speaking of blades, the factory "Made in Germany" Merkur blade that was included with my 37C was horrible. First time I tried one. Worst blade I've ever tried!
I just received a tuck of Dovo blades that are also made in Germany. They'll be up for tonight's shave with the 37C.
So far my go-to blades on the 37C have been the German Wilkinsons and Bic Chrome Platinum. Excellent with those two!
Shaved tonight with the Made in Germany Dovo blades on the 37C. Excellent++
Absolutely nothing like the old German Merkur blades!!
Highly recommended!

I have both, and I can say with confidence that they are virtually identical in that regard. They’re almost indistinguishable from each other looks wise. The baseplate is a bit different on each but it does not impact the shave in my experience (YMMV).

I lean towards the Merkur as my go-to and I picked up the Razorock just as an alternative. You can change up the handle on the Razorock so if you like to customize, that may be the choice for you. I’ve been having the best shaves of my life in the past few weeks using these razors. I wouldn’t call either an aggressive razor but both are oh so efficient. If that makes sense.

Edit: I’ll post a closeup of each razor head when I get a chance to illustrate the slight variation in the baseplate.
Thanks. I had the RR 37 German and was kind of scared at how close it shaved and gave it away. That was a year ago though. Maybe I just don't like BBS sort of shaves.

Sign up to Pasteur Shavings website. They send coupons frequently. I bought my 37C with a 16% off coupon (yes, 16%, not 15%. weird!, Lol).
You'll end up getting a new one for like $30 if you're patient and wait for one of those coupons. I buy almost everything at Pasteur!
Thanks. I think I already signed up. I had something in my shopping cart and they sent me an email saying 'You forgot this...' So I must've given them my email address. Looks like a nice site.

At age 76 and recently acquiring DE razors I shaved for the first time with the Merkur 37C slant. My result is contradictory: If you saw closeup images of my neck and face, mustache and chin there would be NO nicks, cuts or redness; however, the shave was TOO close.

Aqua Velva with its high alcohol content is a useful post shave barometer. First splash with AV was the most intense I have ever felt. I always follow up about 90 minutes later with a second splash. The next day I followed up with Nivea Sensitive Balm.

FYI, I used Lea shave cream and a cheap boar brush and did about 2-1/2 passes. I felt that my shave resulted in more skin removal than normal but NO visible skin irritation, nicks, cuts.
An oxymoron - go figure.

Top Bottom