What's new

Merkur 37G Long term impressions

Happy Newyear everyone!

When I first got my 37G slant it was NOS and very exciting as they are out of production. The shaves it gives are great and efficient. The quality/finish of the razor is nice however it doesn't seem to be at Muhle or the new Razorock standards.

Considering the razor has become a collection item for many, and the prices they sell for are elevated (There is one on ebay right now I think at a pretty high price), do any of you still use this razor regularly? If so how would it compare to other modern slants (Razorock, Ikon etc..).

My initial impressions of the razor were excellent, however since discovering the Rockwell 6S (Which is just so smooth and effortless to us) and that the 37G is rare I almost feel bad using it and it spends most of its time cleaned and in storage. For the record it is the only slant I own.

Let me know your thoughts!

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
I bought my gold slant while they were still available in stores ... it wasn't my first slant but it is probably my prettiest. I think it was only about 25 or 30 bucks. Since the discontinuation of the 37G model I've bought a modern chrome one to use as an everyday shaver even though the gold finish seems to be quite durable. I still occasionally use it but I probably go back to one of my vintage Merkur 37 razors more often. Enjoy yours!

full

Recently acquired gold Hoffritz. Non-scalloped top cap.
full

Great looking razors!

To me the question is whether you are a collector or a user. I look at razors as tools to be used, that's me. For a collector, you need a second to avoid damaging the value of your prize! YMMV for sure!

I love the Merkur 37 in all its incarnations. I have the Merkur 37, the Hoffritz 37 and the Coles 37 in gold as well. I am both a collector and a user: I collect slants, and use them all. With the amount I now own, these gold ones don't get used that often.

There is no difference between the shave of a gold razor and a "chrome" razor, when all the other variables are the same.

While gold razors have their following, a chrome razor is more durable.

Top Bottom