What's new

Merkur 37C v 39C Slant

Hi there,

Long time lurker first time poster. I have a quick question that I hope someone can answer.

Is the Merkur Slant 39C just the same as a 37C slant with a longer handle? I was given the impression by a retailer that the 39C is a more agressive razor. I really fancy trying a slant and do prefer a longer handle. Don't get me wrong I can use the HD no problem, I tend to use the Futur and P9 thought because I prefer a longer handle. I have been DE shaving for 2 years now so thought I would try something a little different.

Thanks for any any advice

I currently working my way through my selection of blades...any of these particulary good in a slant?

proxy.php

Of the blades you have there, the better ones are:
Feather, Wlkinson Sword (with the gold 5), Polsilver, Nacet, Gillette Silver Blue and Derby.

It is a shame that most of those (not including Feather & Derby) are now very hard to get hold of.

Other posters will chip in with their favourites, no doubt.

Thanks for the reply.

I can still get a hold of most of the blades in the pic (and a few more) this is about half of the blades I started out with, (Nacet and Gillette Platinum are the exceptions that I know I would struggle to get anymore). I live in the UK and have a very good suppplier who seems to be able to track down more or less anything shave related at reasonable prices.

If you want any blade in particular that is hard to get in the US let me know and I will sort you out either by direct shipment or purchasing and puttting a Buy It Now on EBAY for you. I have gained so much free advice on these forums I feel I owe you guys, esp Mantik and his legendary videos.

Many thanks

I've used Derby's, Feathers, Gillette Silver Blues, and BiCs in my slant. Derby's and Feathers work really well for me in that razor.

I believe that both slants use the same head. I only own the HD, but I do not think I'm mistaken. If you prefer long handles, go for the barber pole. Many people on this forum have noted prefering the longer handle on a slant and getting better results. YMMV, as I really enjoy the HD. Any way you go, a slant is a treat to shave with. BTW the best blade in a slant is a Feather.

I believe that both slants use the same head. I only own the HD, but I do not think I'm mistaken. If you prefer long handles, go for the barber pole. Many people on this forum have noted prefering the longer handle on a slant and getting better results. YMMV, as I really enjoy the HD. Any way you go, a slant is a treat to shave with. BTW the best blade in a slant is a Feather.

Good I had hoped the 39C was the same head, I am sure if I ask the retailer will send me both and let me return the one I don't want.

I've used Derby's, Feathers, Gillette Silver Blues, and BiCs in my slant. Derby's and Feathers work really well for me in that razor.

Feathers are probably the most expensive blade for me to get a hold of I can get them around 30 cents each in your money, but they are good.

I've used Swedish Gillettes, Feathers and German Wilkinson Swords in my 39C. To me, the Swedish Gillettes and the Wilkinson Swords are indistinguishable, but I've stayed with the Wilkinsons since I get them cheaper. The Feathers ain't bad, but I've had more razor burn with them than the other two blades.

The 37C and 39C are the same exact razor except the 39C has a longer handle *the heads are exactly the same as well was cap that get screwed down to hold the blade is exactly the same on both razors*! I had to compare both, just the 39C is heavier and the longer handle, otherwise, they are the same and they both are about the same aggression! Feathers are tops in slants, then Astras and Derbys *from my experience*!

Cheers,

+1 of what dmnall said.
I own both & I would only add that the reason that the 39c might be said to be more aggressive is due to it's weight. I first got the 37 & a few months later got the 39 cause I too like the longer handles. When I first started using it I got a few nicks on a new feather blade til I learned to allow for the increased weight of the 39. The only complaint I would have between the two is when I put a new blade in the 39 the head turns if you don't hold it while tighten the knob. On the 37 the pins go in far enough to stop it from turning. Only a small problem. It just causes me to have to hold the blade & head with the same hand while holding the stem...

Is the difference between the 39C and the 37C the same as the difference between the 38C and the 34C, basically personal preference?

I'm curious because I have both the 38C and 34C and intend to get a slant some day, or two slants.

Is the difference between the 39C and the 37C the same as the difference between the 38C and the 34C, basically personal preference?

I'm curious because I have both the 38C and 34C and intend to get a slant some day, or two slants.

Yea, I think you could say it's only personal preference. One might argue the fact that weight it self might not fall in the category of "personal preferences" & lean more towards function of the razor. That's not exactly how I feel though! The cap & head is the same on the 39c or 37c. The only difference in the 2 models is the length, shape, & weight of the handle & they are also used on the other models 38c & 34c.
So I guess to really answer your question. If you like the handle better on either your 38 or 34 that would be the one that I would buy as you already know what the handles are like. You would just be adding the slant head to what you are already using...

Best Of Times, Larry

Just thought I’d update this thread for closure if anyone else comes across it while making the decision between a 37C and 39C slant.

I plumped for the 37C in the end, having held both in my hands I felt the 39C was a beautiful razor but a little too heavy for me. It weights about the same as my Futur so in the end the advantage of manoeuvrability with the short handle swung it for the 37C. Don’t get me wrong I think the 39C is every bit as good but it really is a personal choice and the only real difference is the handle length and therefore weight.

I used a Super Iridium blade as the first blade (save the feather for later), and I have to confess I found it no different to use than my HD. Apart from the absence of any cutting noise I found I got a better shave with less irritation. I didn’t push it on the first shave, just a light 3 pass shave with no buffing or j-hooking for those difficult areas. With this simple 3 pass shave I got a nearly BBS without any real effort and no nicks or weepers, needless to say I am very am pleased with that result.

I look forward to trying this razor out with more confidence along with different blades and soaps to see how it affects the performance of it. Overall for me it is the best performing razor I have tried so far. I tend to buy one new razor a year and the one that I think may come close to this is an open comb. I have been looking at the Muhle open comb as my next razor (I think Santa will oblige) but for now I am 100% delighted.

The Superspeed I own that was made in the year of my birth still has a special place in my heart and I will still use vintage Gillettes and enjoy them. This new razor will not replace them but it will definitely compliment my collection and have permanent place in future rotations.

Thanks for everyone help and input, much appreciated.

I use the Red Pack IP's in my Slant razor to good effect.

I just order 100 of these on faith that ther are good...but let's be honest if they're not, they're only about $0.10 each lol...

but yah the slant is great and my Astras are great in it...I have some Feathers, Red IPs and Derbys on the way and I can't wait to try them out...as I am down to a few Merkur blades.....ugh, merkur blades...

Top Bottom