What's new

Merkur 34C: Top cap blade posts too small?

Oh, I am sure that is a major consideration as my 34c is circa 2022. Manufacturing changes and cost accounting surely is a root cause of this issue.
Mine was purchased in 2022 also. This is unfortunate because the 34C head has a nice geometry if the blade alignment is right.

If you like the geometry, I would suggest just accepting its flaws. Yes, unfortunate but it is just a sign of the times. I am OCD with everything having to be perfect but I am learning to dumb down expectations and to just cope and keep it all in perspective. NOT easy for me. I think it took me an extra five seconds to get the blade where I wanted. I hope this comes off in the right tone and manner for our first world frustrations.

I think I would opt for the Mühle R89. I got an R89 for my lovely War Department as a Christmas gift last year and it's blade alignment is spot on. I'd like to get another one if I can find it with the tortoiseshell handle which seems to have been discontinued.

This is unfortunate because the 34C head has a nice geometry if the blade alignment is right.
A few days ago I sold my modern 34C as my EJ 3one6 has very similar head design but more precisely made from marine grade stainless steel. There wasn't any scenario where I would pick up the 34C anymore so it fell out of use in my rotation. I kept my 37C as I have yet to find a better slant razor not that I have been looking very hard. Sometimes you get what you pay for.

Last edited:
Top Bottom