What's new

Merkur 34c too mild?

For me the Nacets, Feathers, Astra SS & KCG blades work really well on the 34C. Not a fan of the Bic Chrome.
But to be completely honest I have yet to use a blade on the 34C I hated.
After I get done with the less sharp blades in the Edwin Jagger 3ONE6 testing, I may just do the sharper blades in the 34C. I don’t necessarily need a BBS that lasts 12 hours.

The best I can get is a very short stubble with my 34C. I can dig the razor into my face like I'm actually trying to cut myself and it will still feel rough when I drag a finger across the grain. YMMV of course, but used sharper blades and they'd get the job done but only on the first shave. Chasing BBS in the 34 burned out the blades quickly, in my experience. I had better luck moving to an adjustable razor and using a lighter touch.

IMG_20180123_015248-1160x870__01.jpg

This is one of mine. Had it stripped and cerakoted. Call her black beauty.

i picked up a used Merkur 37C slant and its totally amazing. I lent it to my Shave Buddy who got me into DE Wet Shaving and he said it's the best shave he's ever had. Efficient with no irritation. I used a Parker blade. He used a Personna Platinum. I'm on the hunt for a used 34C. I want to see how it compares to my EJ DE89.

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
I used to think I could not tell the difference between the 34C and 37C, but I’m thinking I do now. You’re right, no irritation, does not feel aggressive. Love the slant.

I used to think I could not tell the difference between the 34C and 37C, but I’m thinking I do now. You’re right, no irritation, does not feel aggressive. Love the slant.
The Merkur 38C long barber pole is little less aggressive than the 34C/G HD.

i picked up a used Merkur 37C slant and its totally amazing. I lent it to my Shave Buddy who got me into DE Wet Shaving and he said it's the best shave he's ever had. Efficient with no irritation. I used a Parker blade. He used a Personna Platinum. I'm on the hunt for a used 34C. I want to see how it compares to my EJ DE89.
The Merkur 37C slant is a good bit more efficient than the Merkur 34C. The Merkur 37C produces nice and close shaves. I like mine.

The Merkur 37C slant is a good bit more efficient than the Merkur 34C. The Merkur 37C produces nice and close shaves. I like mine.
I love my 37c. One of my favorites. But favorites change.
I will also say the German 37 from razorock is cheap and nice too to have handle options. It's pretty much identical head to 37c. May actually be identical lol

I found the 34c was great as I was learning because it was so mild and it worked well as long as i didn't have over two days growth... over that was an issue. From there I went to the 37c / slant and it was much more efficient but I would get some irritation if I let my growth go too long but it did give me better shaves. I've since moved to a Timeless titanium with a .95 gap and it is a gentle beast.... smooth shave, very close. I did add an OC plate for times when I have more growth and have never looked back.

If the 34C is comfortable to hold, try a different blade. My son-in-law, I hate to admit, switched to DE a year or more before me. He only uses a 34C with Feather blades. I tried and hated Feather blades, but did use a 34G for over 5 years with IP Red and Astra SP. Since the pandemic, I'm currently shaving less frequently then I used to. I'm currently using a Gillette Heritage with these blades. I find these blades sharp, but more forgiving than Feather blades.

I love my 37c. One of my favorites. But favorites change.
I will also say the German 37 from razorock is cheap and nice too to have handle options. It's pretty much identical head to 37c. May actually be identical lol
Yes, favorites do change. I should check into the German 37. I do prefer 3-piece razors.

I found the 34c was great as I was learning because it was so mild and it worked well as long as i didn't have over two days growth... over that was an issue. From there I went to the 37c / slant and it was much more efficient but I would get some irritation if I let my growth go too long but it did give me better shaves. I've since moved to a Timeless titanium with a .95 gap and it is a gentle beast.... smooth shave, very close. I did add an OC plate for times when I have more growth and have never looked back.
I am thinking a Timeless titanium will be in my future.

Top Bottom