What's new

Merkur 34c too mild?

Hello,
I'm doing de razor shaves for about 2 month now. I started with a Viking blade Godfather which after some practice gave me a good shave. I then moved to a Viking blade chieftain which I actually liked more as it gave me a closer shave. Both where described as beginner friendly and mild.

Now I'm trying the Merkur 34c and I'm very frustrated. I can't get a close shave even after multiple passes. It's like the merkur barely takes some hair off.

Is the 34c just super mild or do I miss something?

Last edited by a moderator:
It’s mild, but not like SLOC/DOC mild. You should be able to get at least a decent shave with it.

What blades are you using in it?

I started with the 34C. After a month I was tired of feeling like I needed a shave after I was finished. My next razor was the Henson Al 13 mild, and it has much much better efficiency.

A Kai blade really improved the 34C, as it is a hair wider than most blades. A shim might help (works great in my old Gillette Tech), but I never bothered to shim the 34C.

It’s mild, but not like SLOC/DOC mild. You should be able to get at least a decent shave with it.

What blades are you using in it?

I got a sample set and tried Astra, Voskhod and Derby. The Astra where the best ones, but still very far from the godfather or chieftain which gifts me a super clean shave with the Astras.

I got a sample set and tried Astra, Voskhod and Derby. The Astra where the best ones, but still very far from the godfather or chieftain which gifts me a super clean shave with the Astras.

Give it a go with a Feather or Kai, and with shorter strokes, if the Astra wasn’t enough. The 34C might ultimately just not work for your beard.

Bic Chrome Platinum work very well for me in the 34C.
You really have to look to maintain the optimum angle to make it cut efficiently.

Thanks I try next time to focus on the angle. With the other razors the feeling for the angle came quiet naturally.

Blue or green Astras?
I assume the green Platinums. You might try the blue Super Stainless, for me they feel sharper on the first shave than the greens.

Give it a go with a Feather or Kai, and with shorter strokes, if the Astra wasn’t enough. The 34C might ultimately just not work for your beard.

Will definitely try them, thanks for your recommendations. I really want to like the 34c as it seems to be a perfect razor for so many.

34c was my first DE in 2016. It is certainly a mild razor, almost too mild. it can still be efficent. I used a 34g for the first time in years and got a DFS+ shave using a steep angle.

Are you doing a three pass shave: with the grain (WTG), across the grain (XTG) and against the grain (ATG)?

Any razor should be able to give you a baby-butt smooth shave with three passes.

A more aggressive razor will cut a little closer each pass so if you just want to get the shave done quickly and get out the door maybe you'll get an acceptable shave in just one or two passes.

34C was too mild for my liking. It's a comfortable shaver and got me a DFS with no problem but I could never get a BBS with it without irritating my skin.

I know it's a great shaver for many people out there. Just not for me.

Welcome to B&B.
Thanks I try next time to focus on the angle.
The neutral angle will give you a good shave and a close shave is achievable with the 34C. I find the 34C plus Astra SP a great combination but with the Gillette Silve Blue it is even better.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
The Merkur 34C/G is one of my favourite razors. For me it does need a sharp blade for the little extra. I have to admit though, I much prefer milder razors that aggressive ones.

I guess you have to improve your shaving angle. For a normal skin on daily shaves paired (with a Gillette platinum, Gillette Silver blue, Astra SS, Astra SP or similar blades) two pass (WTG and XTG) must provide a decent DFS+ shave.

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
I find it to be a medium (or at least mild/medium) razor. It's not as mild as, say, a Gillette Tech and it is perhaps ever so slightly less mild than an EJ or Muhler 89 head, and is probably my favorite razor.

I do 3 passes, and normally with a Gillette 7 O'Clock SP Black, and get terrific results, but I've been using it daily (exclusively) for over five years until just recently. I agree with @BigJ. Give it a go with a GSB, Nacet, or Kai and see what you think, don't give up on it yet.

But there's no law that says you have to like it just because it's popular, if it doesn't suit you after trying a couple more blades, move on and don't look back! :)

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
It really depends what you are comparing it with. It is certainly milder than any open-comb or slant, but it is also more aggressive than the "89" series razors (Mühle R89, EJ DE89) and vintage Gillette Techs. John's @JCinPA definition of mild-medium razor is correct in my opinion, too.

In the recent past the 34C was one of my favourite shavers, now I find myself preferring the mildest razors available.

Top Bottom