What's new

Merkur 34c too mild?

Bic Chrome Platinum work very well for me in the 34C.
You really have to look to maintain the optimum angle to make it cut efficiently.

This.

A different, more aggressive blade might help, but the key with the 34C is understanding the optimal angle (I also found this to be important with the Karve)

I’ve had a bunch of frustrating shaves with the 34C before I stumbled upon the perfect angle by accident (more head leaning than lip leaning), and since then I get great shaves with it, yet still super safe.

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
^^^^^^^^^^
That was for Marco, but someone posted between us

Interestingly, I am moving in the same direction, Marco. I'm coming to the conclusion that my beard is certainly not that tough, and the milder razors with excellent blades gets me the same final shave results as more aggressive razors do. Some folks may benefit from more aggressive razors, but I do not, in terms of better effectiveness.

I'm sure that for some really tough bears (the whiskers themselves) that will vary widely from person to person, but based on the mild razor enthusiasm here lately, apparently many others are discovering aggressive is not really necessary, mild gets the job done for many of us just as well and much more comfortably.

The Merkur 34C is certainly not aggressive. But I'd repeat BigJ's advice again. Try a couple of very sharp blades in it before deciding it won't work for you. It's a terrific razor, for sure.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
^^^^^^^^^^
That was for Marco, but someone posted between us

Interestingly, I am moving in the same direction, Marco. I'm coming to the conclusion that my beard is certainly not that tough, and the milder razors with excellent blades gets me the same final shave results as more aggressive razors do.

John, are you aware that Gillette introduced a modern mild razor? It is called Gillette Heritage Inspired and features a German Mühle R89 head, with a US made 1930s common bar reproduction handle. Here is the Amazon link https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07XPRRV9...abc_16J082G16V7R7QV1ZAYY?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
^^^^^^^
I was not, but I'm happy with my razor collection for the moment. Very handsome! Nice case!

Hello,
I'm doing de razor shaves for about 2 month now. I started with a Viking blade Godfather which after some practice gave me a good shave. I then moved to a Viking blade chieftain which I actually liked more as it gave me a closer shave. Both where described as beginner friendly and mild.

Now I'm trying the Merkur 34c and I'm very frustrated. I can't get a close shave even after multiple passes. It's like the merkur barely takes some hair off.

Is the 34c just super mild or do I miss something?
You're not the first to have this problem. Some people even shim Feather blades in a 34C:

After several minutes, he explains that the "shim" is a standard blade, with its edges removed.

. Charles

Thanks for all your suggestions, it's a great community here. As many suggested I played with the angle and different blades. I got some feather and I must say the performance went up,but I still felt there is room for improvement.

In the meantime I got my hands on a Edwin jagger and I must say I immediately felt much more comfortable. It's just a very mild but efficient shave. The efficiency I was missing with the merkur.

I think I found my razor, thanks all for your help!

Try Feathers, Polsilvers or Super Iridiums. If you cant get a good shave from any of these blades, I would respectfully suggest technique. Also The EJ DE89L or the Muhle R89 may be better fits for you.

What do u use daily for a bbs result?

34C was too mild for my liking. It's a comfortable shaver and got me a DFS with no problem but I could never get a BBS with it without irritating my skin.

I know it's a great shaver for many people out there. Just not for me.

I am going to jump in with a tangential question since two of my razors have been mentioned here.

I routinely get fairly close, comfortable shaves with the 34C and Astra SP blades.

I have now shaved twice with my new (to me) Gillette Tech, which I think is classified as milder. After a three pass shave with the same Astra SP blade, I am far more irritated and can still feel a bit of stubble in places. Two passes with the 34C is closer and much less irritating.

In the case of the Tech, am I correct in assuming that I'm experiencing a razor/blade combo that is too mild?

I am going to jump in with a tangential question since two of my razors have been mentioned here.

I routinely get fairly close, comfortable shaves with the 34C and Astra SP blades.

I have now shaved twice with my new (to me) Gillette Tech, which I think is classified as milder. After a three pass shave with the same Astra SP blade, I am far more irritated and can still feel a bit of stubble in places. Two passes with the 34C is closer and much less irritating.

In the case of the Tech, am I correct in assuming that I'm experiencing a razor/blade combo that is too mild?
Yes, try a Feather blade.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I would buy a tuck or 2 of Kai blades and that will be better than shimming IMO. Like what has been mentioned the Kai is wider by 9/1000 or(.009") of inch wider than a Gillette Astra SP blade or 4.5/1000 "or (.0045")wider per side & that will give a little better blade feel and will improve the efficentcy of your shave. Good to have a tuck or 2 for milder razors anyways IMO. YY KAI SS DE Blade Kai .871inch wide Astra SP .862 wide.jpg

The Merkur 34C HD or G HD is not the middle of the road everyday razor-like the EJ DE89 or R89, 34C or G is about two steps above the middle of the road everyday razor, nowhere near the Rocca. Watch this below it's very good review feedback about the 34C.

After trading a razor I didn't like on this forum, an aluminum Lupo, for a 33C & loving that razor. I purchase a 34C. I must admit the 33C & 34C have become my favorite razors & have been mainly using them for the last couple of weeks. Pairing these razors with a sharp blade & they reward you with a fantastic drama free shave. I love my 34C & 33C.

Another idea is to try shimming the blade to get more gap on it.
Sorry if it was already mentioned.
Sharp blades help alot with the 34c.
My favorite merkur is the 37c slant. Looks daunting but it isn't. Best shaves ever.
Maybe consider that. The twist in the blade gives it a scythe action.

Last edited:
Top Bottom