What's new

Merkur 34C the Ultimate ATG Shaver?

I own multiples of aggressive (and expensive) artisan stainless steel CNC machined razors. I find they are extremely efficient for my “with the grain“ and “east to west” passes. However, I always seem to come back to my inexpensive zmak, Merkur 34C for that final against the grain pass and any touch-up strokes... My face really thanks me for it :biggrin1:. Does anyone else have a similar experience?

I have found my Game Changers to be very good ATG. I don't own a 34c yet but it is on my list to try one day.

Same here, I use the same razor for all passes.

With my most aggressive razors (ATT Aluminum Calypso H2, Muhle R41 and Fatip Piccolo OC) I only do two passes, WTG and XTG, with some spot buffing/cleanup at the end.

With my mild razors (Edwin Jagger DE3D, Merkur 34C and Merkur 15C) I might eventually do an ATG pass if I need a really close shave.

So yes, the 34C is great for ATG passes, at least for me. The ultimate? Not sure if I would go that far but a great little razor for sure!

On a side note, I had practically stopped using all of my mild razors, my preferences having turned to more efficient ones for some time now. Not too long ago I decided to give them another try using Kai blades and so far I'm liking the results very much! I'm able to get much more efficient results coupled with a very relaxed, drama free shave.

Happy shaves!

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
I used my Merkur 37C against the grain this morning, I'd rather use it than my 34C for that.

Glad you found a happy razor for your face!

I never change a razor mid-shave ... unless something has really gone wrong. :ohmy:

I find the combination of a 34C with a sharp blade to be very, very fine indeed: WTG, XTG and ATG!!
:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Yep, I use it ATG, but then again I use it WTG, XTG, and any other way. I decided a while ago that it works in all directions with most blades. Pretty much the only razor I use.

Top Bottom