What's new

Merkur 34C smooth shave?

I recently purchased a Merkur 34C Double edge razor. I have had one good shave with it, but it wasn’t as close as I would expect. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get a close shave with the Merkur 34C?

I looked through my journal, blades that worked well for me:
Bic Chrome Platinum
Gillette Perma-Sharp PPI production
Personna Platinums German production

M

Member 113878

Are you new to DE shaving?
Do you have a strong beard?
What prep do you do?

I have been wet shaving for about a year. I use a mentholated cube from phoenix artisan accoutrements as my pre-shave. I typically wash my face before this. Then I lather up a thick layer of shaving soap and shave lightly trying my best to keep a 30 degree angle.

Then I lather up a thick layer of shaving soap and shave lightly trying my best to keep a 30 degree angle.
How many passes do you do? Usually three passes give a gradual stubble reduction for a very close shave with the DE razor. The final pass should be ATG. The 34C is a great razor paired with a GSB blade and good technique.
Have a look at the Shave Wiki; link top left of page.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Try a Feather blade as suggested by other esteemed members of the forum. The shave will almost be as good as a Feather blade in a Gillette Tech.

M

Member 113878

I have been wet shaving for about a year. I use a mentholated cube from phoenix artisan accoutrements as my pre-shave. I typically wash my face before this. Then I lather up a thick layer of shaving soap and shave lightly trying my best to keep a 30 degree angle.
Seems perfect.
You may want to try different blades then.
I also own a 34C, and it’s still among my favorites, but I have a light beard.

I recently purchased a Merkur 34C Double edge razor. I have had one good shave with it, but it wasn’t as close as I would expect. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get a close shave with the Merkur 34C?
In addition to using a sharper blade, map your face and determine which way your hair grows. Then you can do effective ATG passes. Stop before you create irritation or other issues.

Mild razors with sharp blades excel at this.

Top Bottom