What's new

Merkur 34c revisited.

Going through my box 'O Razors I saw my 34c. The first good DE razor I bought. I always loved
everything about it but got inconsistent good/bad shaves and blamed it on poor technique.

Anyway, for grins I pulled it out and had a great, comfortable DFS with zero drama. The next day,
with everything the same but shave 2 on the Astra SP, the shave was uncomfortable and left some
weepers.

With nothing better to do I starting looking super close at the blade alignment.

Short story: When the cap and bottom plate/handle are put together one way the blade is exposed
more on one side than the other. When I turn the top 180 degrees it lines up perfect.

I did this with three brands of blades and they all showed the same results. So I put a little file mark
on the inside of both pieces for alignment and have had consistent good shaves for almost a week now.

Manufacturing issue? Probably but who cares? It's a good razor. I've got a feeling many razor parts came
off the line that day, or for a few dacades, that had the same issue.

The moral of the story; If you have written off your 34c or any other mass produced razor because of
inconsistent shaves, try turning the head and baseplate.

Happy shaves to you!

I had to mess around with the blade in my 34c to get the blade even.I used it exclusively for about 6 months until i got my Gamechanger which lined up perfectly so the 34c got relegated to the bottom of my drawer.It was a good shave though.

I'll check the alignment on my 34C next time I use it and report here if there's an issue. (I just bought mine a couple of months ago new.) Thanks for the tip!

I had to mess around with the blade in my 34c to get the blade even.I used it exclusively for about 6 months until i got my Gamechanger which lined up perfectly so the 34c got relegated to the bottom of my drawer.It was a good shave though.
My Game Changer is always perfect but my first love was the 34c. Soul Mates perhaps.

I bought my 34G in 2009, and it's still a favorite. I rotate my DE's about once a year or so, although I once used my 34G for 5 years straight. My last shave I switched to my GC .68, after using the 34 for over a year.

It's a small enough mark that only I would notice. No damage.

I would like to make a point though. Age doesn't mean obsolete.

My Merkur 34C delivers consistent shaves and works well with a GSB. It's my benchmark razor when comparing other razors.
Interesting point about rotating the cap though.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
The Merkur 34C, is the most popular beginners razor, but its not only for beginners though! It can be used by intermediate users, and even experienced expert users as well alike! There is a reason why the 34C is most often recommended to beginners though, because its a good all around razor, that doesn't cost a fortune to buy, so its a good way to start off a newbie right.

I just watched a video from GeoFatBoy on Youtube, and he was showing that Merkur 34C, and the 28C, only difference between them being longer handle, vs shorter handle. He himself was saying that both of those razors, are the most popular razors sold under the Merkur brand. I am partial to adjustables myself, so I love my Merkur Futur razor.

But I really love hearing stories like these, coming from someone like yourself, who started off with the 34C, had a rollercoaster of an experience with it. Then left to try bigger better things, then came back to the 34C, because you missed it. Well, I think the 34C missed you too, it probably couldn't wait to remove those whiskers off your face.

Thanks for sharing your story!

34C was my first. I thought the shave performance was the norm till I got more experienced and tried other razors. I quickly discovered that it totally lacked efficiency. I recently tried my 33C (which I have now) out of curiosity and it's the same. I'd have to do a bunch of passes to get a decent shave (I'm a 2 pass shaver). And the alignment is fine on mine!

I've shaved with the 34c for a couple of weeks now. All of them
irritation free DFS's. Then today while splashing on the Proraso
Green I noticed I'd gotten a BBS. Almost, there were two small patches
at the back of the jaw.

I think shaving for a week or two, or a month, with one razor/blade combo and
really focusing has been good for my technique.

Before this I did a month with the Rockwell 6s R/3. Smoother but I can't say the
end result was any better than the Merkur.

When I get tired of this experiment I'm moving to my new Lupo .58 for a while.

The other thing is, I ran across a super deal on a new 34c. $29.95 shipped on the Bay.
The old one has moved to the travel kit to back up the Rockwell 2C.

Guess what? You get to shave tomorrow!

Top Bottom