What's new

Merkur 34C More Aggressive Than Edwin Jagger DE89?

Hi guys. I have been using an Edwin Jagger DE89 and Parker Variant Adjustable for some time. I recently started using the Merkur 34C again and regardless of what blade I use, the 34C does seem a little more aggressive than the DE89. I also find that the shave is more efficient and I'm able to get closer shaves with it. I've read a lot that the DE89 and 34C are similar shaving. But I really don't think so. Anyone else feel the same?

Sent from my CPH1969 using Tapatalk

I also must agree with the above opinions. I've been using my 34C for a few years now and just recently switched over to the EJ89 for a change of scenery. Almost immediately I noticed the difference and right away I began to miss the slightly more aggression that the 34C provided as it did result in a more close and even shave. Although my EJ89 still provides a great shave, I do notice that I just can't quite get as close, especially along my jawline with it.
So now I'm debating if I should go back to the 34C, or stay with the 89 and give it a chance ...... such decisions !! lol :a38:

Last edited:
That said, I've gotten a BBS recently with a DE89 and BIC chrome blade. Requires slight more buffing but it's possible.

In own a 34c but not the DE89. I’ve done a lot of research and read many of these threads and I think I would say, based in reading, most find the 34c slightly more aggressive.

I have both and believe the 34c is more aggressive. However, I am using a Jagger Kelvin (short handle). It seems to be ever so slightly more friendly to my neck.

Is the 34C the same head as the 1904? I had a EJ89 in 2015 (I did a Amazon history buy search) and used to cut myself often in the shower. The 1904 was more like my Super Speed...mild.

Is the 34C the same head as the 1904? I had a EJ89 in 2015 (I did a Amazon history buy search) and used to cut myself often in the shower. The 1904 was more like my Super Speed...mild.
Even though one is two piece and the other is three, it is the same head and shaves virtually identically. It’s funny, my experience is different than yours. EJ and 34c are close. I get more nicks with the 34c.

That could be the handle and blades as well. Most people appear to prefer the 34c.

Even though one is two piece and the other is three, it is the same head and shaves virtually identically. It’s funny, my experience is different than yours. EJ and 34c are close. I get more nicks with the 34c.

That could be the handle and blades as well. Most people appear to prefer the 34c.
Yeah I've heard for years that they were similar shaving. I used an Edwin Jagger DE89 for a while and then decided to get a 34C. I only use 3 blades on rotation regularly. Personna Lab Blue, Astra SP and the Russian made Gillette 7 O'clock Super Stainless. I know these blades well and I know exactly what to expect from them when paired with my DE89. But when I started using the 34C with these blades, it did feel more aggressive. More blade feel. And definitely more efficient with less touch ups around my trouble areas when compared to my Edwin Jagger. Both are great razors for sure. But the DE89 definitely feels smoother with less to no blade feel. Maybe it's just my beard or skin.

I got a 34c earlier this week and was very impressed with it straight away. I found the 34c a touch more aggressive than the DE89, after using both for a couple of shaves. I also found the 34c very easy to find the correct angle, plus maneuver with the short and well weighted handle. The 34c also has more audible feedback than the DE89.

Today I used the DE89 and had a good shave, unlike my first shave with it. I found it hard to get the correct angle on my 1st shave with the longer handle for some reason. The shave was not as close as the 34c, but it was still a nice irritation free shave.

Both are good razors, but I slightly prefer the 34c at this moment.

I would like to try the EJ Kelvin model with the shorter handle. But this model seems to just be available on Amazon. As the EJ website only stock standard and longer handles, for some reason. Also shipping from Amazon US to Australia is expensive.

Last edited:
I got a 34c earlier this week and was very impressed with it straight away. I found the 34c a touch more aggressive than the DE89, after using both for a couple of shaves. I also found the 34c very easy to find the correct angle, plus maneuver with the short and well weighted handle. The 34c also has more audible feedback than the DE89.

Today I used the DE89 and had a good shave, unlike my first shave with it. I found it hard to get the correct angle on my 1st shave with theclinger handle. The shave was not as close as the 34c, but it was still a nice irritation free shave.

Both are good razors, but I slightly prefer the 34c as this moment.
Same here mate. I do agree that the Edwin Jagger DE89 is an awesome razor. It was my only razor for a long time. Even after purchasing a few more razors over the years, the Edwin Jagger was always the best one in my collection. I never thought of purchasing a 34C previously because people said that both razors were similar shaving.
But I still decided to get the 34C and try it out for myself. And yes, it's more efficient, a little more aggressive and performs better than the DE89. For me at least. I get BBS shaves with very little effort and very little touch ups needed. The short handle is excellent as it assists in the user not being able to apply more pressure than what is needed. Just like the DE89, the Merkur 34C makes most blades feel good. Even lousy blades work well in both these razors. No irritation, no nicks, no razor burns. Whether I shave daily or every 2 days, these razors are perfect.
The 34C has become my go-to razor since I got it. I have no reason to not use it. With proper care it should last long enough till when my son is old enough to shave.
The 34C definitely deserves all the hype it has received all these years. And if I had to shave with only this razor for the rest of my life, not a problem. I still love my DE89. It performs well and looks gorgeous. But the 34C gives me better results.

Top Bottom