What's new

Merkur 34C Materials?

Hi All,

Just ordered the Merkur 34C and should be here today. Great reviews inspired me to give this razor a try. My question is about materials. I know the razor is chrome plated but what about the head and handle materials? Is the handle brass and the head assembly Zamac?

Thanks Much,

polaris

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
I know the razor is chrome plated but what about the head and handle materials? Is the handle brass and the head assembly Zamac?
Yes, this is correct. I recently scraped plating off of one, the handle and twist knob are brass, head is zamak.
There is no stainless steel on a 34C
Congrats on buying a good classic razor, enjoy your shaves!

Speaking of which, does anyone make an all-brass, or other non-Zamak version of the 34C?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Have they changed the handle? I just bought one, and it sure looked like a stainless handle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I dunno, I was just curious myself. The on I had 5 years back succumbed to playing loss, haven’t seen one recently.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
34C is a great razor. I love them almost as mush as I love a Gillette Tech. Enjoy.

As far as I know, the handle is brass, the screw thread is brass too and the rest of the top cap and base plate are ZAMAK.
The threaded stud to the cap was brass but recently changed to an all zinc alloy casting. There are some of the new cap castings in circulation. I think that was a disappointing change by Merkur and they may regret it in the future.

The 34C is a great razor, regardless of materials! Take care of it and it should take care of you! :a14: :a14:

Bookmark this post, as I was in contact with Merkur a little over a year ago when I was obsessed with (primarily) where the razors are actually produced (I don't buy razors that are not produced fully inside the company making them) and materials as a secondary thing. I'll point out what a Ms that I forgot her name, but know she is mentioned a lot here told me the following:

- The core of the HD models handle are brass, but only the core, outside it's still zamak.
- the 2 piece Merkur razors have fully zamak threads, while 3 piece models have brass threads.

This was conveyed to me directly from Merkur, cross my heart.

As for the materials, i stopped caring what is used. Merkur makes the best razors for me and I have tried A LOT.
Yes, although a recent 34C buyer here reported that even the threaded post is now zamak, and included some pretty convincing photos. But at least if you have one with a brass threaded post as you describe, I think you should be able to get many years of use from it, even hard use. A good design that has proved its worth over a very long time.

Top Bottom