What's new

Merkur 34c, is it worth trying?

I started with the 34C too, and used it every day for 6 months. It took 3 weeks for me to figure out how to get an ideal shave with it, and I still shave exactly that way. After experimenting with many types, these days I use something very similar, but only very slightly more aggressive. So obviously, I recommend it.

I have read many reviews and posts but want current feed back. I am interested in the Merkur 34c. I typically use vintage Gillette DEs, 40 Milord, 29 New, 58 TV Special and 47 SS are my daily drivers. I know the gurus on this site have tried them all. How does the 34c compare to my daily drivers?

No one razor will suit everyone, that is why there is the YMMV motto.

I tried the Merkur34 in a pif, and found that it did not work for me; too mild and too chunky to be maneuverable. My regular line up of razors are mostly the Gillette New, Old, Superspeed, and Aristocrat (with a few other vintage razors at times).

The 34c was my first razor. After some vintage Gillette’s and a newer, more expensive razor, I just went back to the 34c. With a shark Super Stainless blade, it’s my smoothest, easiest shaver. It’s also the only razor that blade does well in (for some reason).

My son-in-law has been wetshaving for 10 years and a 34C is the only DE he ever bought or used. I, on the other hand, after trying a slew, including Aristocrats, Techs, EJ Barley and every SS from the late 40's to mid 50's, have been using only a 34G (my second purchase) for the past 4 years. It's slightly more aggressive than a SS, but I like the balance better. I prefer a milder blade, Astra SP or IP Red. If you want more aggressive you can use a Feather blade like my S-I-L.

Should you get it? The 34C is an excellent highly regarded razor by many. If you are looking for a roughly shaving razor to what you already have, but in a modern design, the 34C should give you that. If you want much less or more aggression or more blade feel, or a noticibly smoother shave, than you might be disappointed. All depends what your looking for. Slants, open combs, erazors with a lot of blade feel like Ikon Tech or R41, super rigid blade razors like the Timeless SS -- all will be a very different shave experience from what you are getting from your list of regular razors.

Get one. I have one and a backup. It's an iconic razor. I use the 34HD as a baseline to other razors I look at. Good luck with the purchase.

M

member 119848

The 34C is a very popular razor. So it should work fine for most of us.
This was my second DE after having purchased the plastic Wilkinson to give DE a try. My first razor ˋmade of metal´.
It was OK, but somehow it didn´t really work for me. I always had stubble remaining after 3 passes, so I sold it and moved on to more efficient razors.
This razor is nevertheless well built, aligns the blade always perfectly, and provides smooth shaves.

I very much appreciate all the excellent feed back. Based on this feedback, I have decided not to purchase the 34c at this time. I don't think it brings anything to the table that my current collection can't offer. I really like the look of the 34c and will likely purchase it in the future. Thanks again for your input.

I very much appreciate all the excellent feed back. Based on this feedback, I have decided not to purchase the 34c at this time. I don't think it brings anything to the table that my current collection can't offer. I really like the look of the 34c and will likely purchase it in the future. Thanks again for your input.

What are you getting instead?!!

I have a FaTip Testina Gentile on the way. I currently have a FaTip Piccolo OC. I use it on a regular basis but find it too aggressive for daily use. I like FaTips because they are plated brass and cheap. However, my interest in the 34c was not a case of either or, I became interested in the 34c as an addition not an alternative if that makes any sense. The looks of the 34c caught my attention and I am sure I will purchase one at some point.

I have a FaTip Testina Gentile on the way. I currently have a FaTip Piccolo OC. I use it on a regular basis but find it too aggressive for daily use. I like FaTips because they are plated brass and cheap. However, my interest in the 34c was not a case of either or, I became interested in the 34c as an addition not an alternative if that makes any sense. The looks of the 34c caught my attention and I am sure I will purchase one at some point.
Actually, the Gentile shaves not greatly different than DE89/34C, in my opinion. But it does definitely have more glide, and might be a bit more efficient. I like mine for easy shaves, but I just can't keep my hands off my Piccolo. However for daily shaving, I could see possibly preferring the Gentile. (I shave every other day, and occasionally on the third day)

I regret trading my Merkur for another blade several years ago. Looking back, it was one of the best day-to-day razors.
The 34C and 38C were my faves.

With his razor it is difficult to cut yourself, so I believe it is a great beginners razor.

I would prefer the 37c. Such an excellent slant.

M

Member 113878

My favorite so far, but got a Parker Variant today, so tomorrow I’ll try the new tool and see how it goes...

Top Bottom