What's new

Merkur 34c HD

I’d like to get one of these. Maybe I’ll like it better than the Techs.....
It seems like a solid popular razor judging from all I’ve read about them.
Do they handle a variety of blades well? What’s the aggressiveness like?

The 34C is medium aggressiveness, perhaps on the milder side.

I'm not a big fan. I had one years ago but sold it. It isn't really apporpriate as a beginner razor, but at one time that was all that was available new.

I'm not a big fan. I had one years ago but sold it. It isn't really apporpriate as a beginner razor, but at one time that was all that was available new.
I’d have to disagree. The Merkur is a mild razor and damn good for a beginner razor because of the wise blade angle compared to say, a Feather AS D2.

I’d have to disagree. The Merkur is a mild razor and damn good for a beginner razor because of the wise blade angle compared to say, a Feather AS D2.

I started shaving with a DE with a wickedly aggressive Parker TTO, back in the days when they sold alot of junk from India. The 34C was my second razor, and it was an improvement, but not as much as discovering vintage razors and the Weishi (which came out about a year after I started shaving with a DE).

The 34c was the second DE razor I bought. I should have stopped there, I could have saved myself a lot of money.
I believe all Merkur solid bar razors have the same head. What makes the 34c so unique is the near perfect balance.

I think the 34 design is one of the most beautiful DE designs ever made - but sadly the shave does not agree with me. Got it as my first DE, sold it after a week. Then waited 1,5 years and found a beautiful vintage silver - and eventually sold it. I am one of the unchosen few :crying:

In my 39 years of DE shaving ,19 of those years (2000-today) have been Merkur 34c years.
The other 20 (1980-2000) were Gilette FB years (but the Merkur 34c smokes the FB).
I am looking forward to at least 3 more Merkur 34c decades!

There are quite a few people here that would strongly disagree with you.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Does anyone know if the Merkur 33 ( 3 piec)e is any different shave wise from the Merkur 34c?
Merkur makes only one closed comb head whether three piece or two piece. Sometimes I think the three piece shaves better than the two piece, and other days I think the two piece shaves better than the three piece. So, I'd say yes, no, they are the same. :001_unsur :001_tongu

Merkur makes only one closed comb head whether three piece or two piece.

Not true, the Progress has a unique closed comb head.

If you own both a 34c (designed in 1933) and a Progress (designed in 1955), you'll understand the changes made to the Progress head baseplate and how they improve the shave.

Last edited:
To all those here who say they sold their 34c years ago and went down the RAD rabbit hole, like myself....

Get another 34c and you will wonder why you bought all those other razors [emoji1][emoji1]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Not true, the Progress has a unique closed comb head.

If you own both a 34c (designed in 1933) and a Progress (designed in 1955), you'll understand the changes made to the Progress head and how they improve the shave.
That's an adjustable. Their standard closed comb heads are all the same. If you are going to count the Progress you have to count the Futur, and the defunct Vision, as well.

Last edited:
Merkur 34C is an excellent razor, my first of all.
Revisited it 4-5 days ago and was stunned how great it shaves. I could easily live with only that one for the rest of my life.
It's so great I'm actually thinking about getting a gold plated version just because I can and it also looks great :)

To all those here who say they sold their 34c years ago and went down the RAD rabbit hole, like myself....

Get another 34c and you will wonder why you bought all those other razors [emoji1][emoji1]

I agree with you. It was my second razor and I should have stopped buying there.

That's an adjustable.

The point I was trying to make is the differences between the Progress baseplate (which is closed comb) and the 34c baseplate.

[repeat]
"If you own both a 34c (designed in 1933) and a Progress (designed in 1955), you'll understand the changes made to the Progress head baseplate and how they improve the shave."

The point I was trying to make is the differences between the Progress baseplate (which is closed comb) and the 34c baseplate.

The question was weather the 2 Merkur heads were the same. They are all the same unless you have a slant or an adjustable.

If you like that one, you’ll love the Muhle R89 lol
Possibly. But everyone is different.

I have a 33c, and use it regularly, but my DE89 rarely gets any use.

The blade in the DE89 chatters and skips a lot for me, and only works well with a sharp blade and proper prep.

The 33c just works, regardless of whether the blade is getting a bit dull.

The 33c is a top-tier razor for me. The DE89 is not one i ever reach for.

While I’d give the edge to the Progress overall as the best Merkur razor, the 33c is more forgiving and never irritates.

However, I can say one good thing about the DE89 (and presumably the R89 too)... the handles are nice. So I use mine with the 33c head.

Top Bottom