What's new

Merkur 34c HD

I was curious about the 34c. So I bought a used one off eBay for 10 bucks a few months ago.

I like it ok and shave is nice but in no way superior to my vintage Gillette or modern stainless. And I find the craftsmanship, build quality, and quality of materials better with Gillette vintage and modern stainless.

Yup I started DE shaving with one. Not in my vintage rotation anymore but I still pull her out a couple of times a year just because.

I like it ok and shave is nice but in no way superior to my vintage Gillette or modern stainless. And I find the craftsmanship, build quality, and quality of materials better with Gillette vintage and modern stainless.

I have tried a lot of vintage razors of all types and many modern stainless models and I find the 34c to be superior to them all. BTW, the material a razor is made of does not effect the shave.

I have tried a lot of vintage razors of all types and many modern stainless models and I find the 34c to be superior to them all. BTW, the material a razor is made of does not effect the shave.

Sure I didn't mean to imply that quality of materials affects the shave. It does affect durability though.

I'm glad you like your merkur. Everyone is different. It's just not for me and I'm really glad I didn't pay the full (new) price for it.

Last edited:
I bought one, about two weeks ago actually it’s my first de and it’s to light I think I need something else to learn with.

I was thinking of this razor for my Dad for his birthday on the 28th. He is 75 and has never used a de razor. This should be a good start? Yes? no?

I was thinking of this razor for my Dad for his birthday on the 28th. He is 75 and has never used a de razor. This should be a good start? Yes? no?

Great razor to start with...
Only thing I would add is if he has large hands, you may want to get him something with a longer handle (someone earlier mentioned the 38C has same head, but longer handle)
I have large hands and find the 34C handle to be too short.

Great razor to start with...
Only thing I would add is if he has large hands, you may want to get him something with a longer handle (someone earlier mentioned the 38C has same head, but longer handle)
I have large hands and find the 34C handle to be too short.
agreed! i wish i knew then b/c i like the razor very much. it gets used less b/c of the short handle.

Top Bottom