What's new

Merkur 34C HD vs 42: what is better?

Hi to all,

actually I have a Merkur 42, but I have read very good review about 34C HD.

What is better? 42 vs 34C HD?

The 42 is my firs DE... before I use Proglide and another 5 blade razor.

In past I haven't problem with cartidge blade, but I think they cost too much, and I have started use DE.

But is normal that sometime I cut my skin?

With multiblade this not happen

Hi to all,

actually I have a Merkur 42, but I have read very good review about 34C HD.

What is better? 42 vs 34C HD?

These questions are always so hard to answer. I enjoy my HD34C, others don't. Really, just comes down to trying a few till you find what's right for you.

The 42 is my firs DE... before I use Proglide and another 5 blade razor.

In past I haven't problem with cartidge blade, but I think they cost too much, and I have started use DE.

But is normal that sometime I cut my skin?

With multiblade this not happen

Are you applying pressure when you shave? If so, a DE will cut your face to shreds

Actually I use Wilkinson Classic blades, there are other that are better?

Derby or Astra?

Derby or Astra?

I prefer Astra over the blades you listed, but do you apply pressure against your face when you shave?

You should let the razor glide down your face with no pressure, or very little at that

I'm not familiar with the 42, but I find my HD 34G a little more aggressive than my SuperSpeed. I use the 34G during the summer months, but prefer the less aggressive SS in winter. I would stick with one razor until you get the technique down.

No pressure.

I'm a newbie, I think that is my technique.

I have read that with a DE I can shave without cut. True?

Do you suggest to use a cartidge razor?

Derby or Astra?

There are many that are better. Buy a sampler pack and try a few out. For a beginner my greatest recommendation is Israeli Personna Reds. I find it hard to get a close shave with Derby. Astra is pretty good, and for many it's the best. You've got to try them.

As for cutting yourself, it will happen from time to time but as your technique improves it will go away. Look for videos on youtube by "mantic59" to get some guidance on technique, and read some threads in the shave clinic on B&B.

Just to clarify, and possibly help you out, the below Merkur models all have the same head. Only the handles are different in size, shape, weight and wether it's a 2 piece or 3 piece.

38HD
38M
23C
34G
38C
34C
33C
20C
43C
30C
Merkur Travel Safety Razor with Bar

The handle weight and length can alter the way a razor feels on your face, even with the same head. But, if you were to use the heads of all the above models on the same handle, they'd be just about identical and any differences would be purely accidental and due to poor craftsmanship and quality control.

I'm not familiar with the 42, but I find my HD 34G a little more aggressive than my SuperSpeed. I use the 34G during the summer months, but prefer the less aggressive SS in winter. I would stick with one razor until you get the technique down.
+1 ... work on your technique first, and stick to one razor during the learning curve until you get the basics down pat.

I haven't tried the 42, but the 34 HD is a modern classic, and everyone should have tried it at least a few times. Many consider the 34C as a "Golden Yardstick" in that is a good reference point to compare other DE razors against.

In another thread, someone asked about gear for the Shavepocalypse. The 34G made my list as a "must have" tool.

The 42 is one of my regulars so, I love it a lot. I also shave my head with the 42. It's mild but provide a good and smooth shave. But as always that is what works for me.

Regrats.

IMHO the Merkur 34C HD is a great razor (and bear in mind I have 2 ATT's, a PILS and a Weber PH Bulldog) Many shavers new and old highly recommend it and I would be one of them!

Also of my many Merkur razors the 34C HD was the only one I kept...the 42 is a nice razor but for me the grip let it down...so I would vote for the 34C HD

As has previously been pointed out they have the same head. I find the 42C on equal terms with the HD, but only when I put a heavier handle on it. I use the Bulldog Handle that came with my Weber PH and I find that it improves the overall performance immensely.

Top Bottom