What's new

Merkur 33C v 34C v 38C

Hi everyone, new to the forum here.

I've been wanting to upgrade my safety razor and thought that a Merkur would make for a nice Christmas present for myself this year.

I was wondering if it is worth paying the extra and getting the 34C Heavy Duty over the 33C Classic and what your thoughts were on the 38C Barber Pole model (from my understanding it is just an extended handle version of the 34C HD).

Any of those would be an upgrade on my currently safety razor which is just a $30 one I bought from the Shaver Shop, I was just after some input before I drop a decent amount on coin on a new one. Thanks.

I think 34C is a fine DE razor. I haven't had experience with the other two. If you will spend money on the Merkur than you should go with the one that attracts you the most. Otherwise you'll end up buying the one that attract you the most in the end.
And there's the biggest difference in the cost.

The 34C HD is a great razor. Dont be put off by the 'HD' logo. It'll suit most styles of DE shaving. It's little brother the 1904 is also a great razor to start or upgrade to aswell. Both are well made and have few if any issues like the adjustables do. The thing you have to work out for your self is long or short handle. For me short wins eveytime even though I have spade sized hands.

+1 on the 34C HD. Terrific razor, well balanced, well built, and gives me a very smooth shave with either Feather or Green 7 O'Clock blades.

I confidently expect to be still using this razor in 10 years time.

All three razors are pretty good. They all share the same head. The 34C and 38 are both two piece style razors and there is a distinct handle mass and length difference, which could affect your shave by slightly changing the aggression. The 33C is a three piece razor and lighter than the other two razors. It boils down to you personal preference of handle style, length and mass.

The HD is a great razor, and you will provide you with many a fine shaves. If your open to suggestion, I recently picked up an Edwin Jager DE89, which trumps the Merkur in build quality. A 3 piece design (as opposed to a 2 piece design for the HD), it does shave a little less aggressively than the HD, but I would definitely consider it as an alternative, if not a step up from the Merkur.
proxy.php

Did I mention that it's one beautiful razor?

Good luck with whatever you choose, both are fine razors.

Steve

Last edited:
The HD is a great razor, and you will provide you with many a fine shaves. If your open to suggestion, I recently picked up an Edwin Jager DE89, which trumps the Merkur in build quality. A 3 piece design (as opposed to a 2 piece design for the HD), it does shave a little less aggressively than the HD, but I would definitely consider it as an alternative, if not a step up from the Merkur.

Did I mention that it's one beautiful razor?

Good luck with whatever you choose, both are fine razors.

Steve
I 2nd that opinion too, it is a step up.

I am rockin' the 34C right now...its become my main DE (for the moment...Fatboy is coming in the mail!!).

I first started with a '64 Gillette SuperSpeed and while I do like it, I prefer the weight of the 34C a bit more. I have been eyeing the Jager DE89 tho...hmmmm....

Is it possible to have TOO MANY DE razors in the arsenal?!?!

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Mitch:
I reconmend the 38C (I also own a 23C), and you know why?
proxy.php

It's because the 38C is moderately priced, 2 piece (38C), heavy (4oz), and long handled and great for those who have 'bear claws'
proxy.php
for hands, (3½in) and in my opinion...is fairly mild and very smooth (I use Shark Super Chrome blades), straight bar/closed combed razor which is perfect for my normal beard and sensitive skin. :thumbsup:

"Merkur; Solingen quality, Time-tested Tradition with Modern Design".
proxy.php

Also check out these 38C Reveiws;

Merkur "Barber Pole" 38C.

Merkur 38C.

:straight: "A razor can't be sharpened on a piece of velvet." Author Unknown

Get the 33c, you can use different handles with this head.
With the 34c and the 38c the heads are permanently attached to the handle.

Thank you for the replies everyone. I think at this stage I am more leaning toward the 34C, since I don't have the biggest of hands. You have all been most helpful.

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
Good move. The 34c is a great razor. Well-balanced, nice heft with just the right amount of aggressiveness.

Enjoy it.

you can't go wrong with the 34C - I've tried pretty much every DE there is; Super Speeds, Fatboys, Single Rings, Old Types, EJ/Muhles, Feather etc etc and nothing shaves as well as the 34C - it's aggressiveness is PERFECT. you can put a Feather blade in it and it will mow down forests; a Personna Red for a mild shave; or an Astra blade for a close, smooth, perfect shave.

for those who say the EJ89 is a step up from a Merkur I say yes, a step up in the shiny razor department, but a step down in shave quality. they're too mild. I've found they require a Feather blade and a 3rd pass ATG to get a satisfactory shave. the Merkur 34C & 38C sit just right in aggression so that a mild or close shave can be dialed in with blade selection

best of luck with your purchase and be sure to let us know of your results

I have used the 38C for a few years now and it is an excellent razor. BUT, for a few extra spondoolicks I heartily suggest Muhle R89. The shaves are both excellent, it is just that the R89 almost makes it seem like you forgot to put the blade in. The blades I use are Red IP, Sharks, Yellow Gillette and Personna Med Prep.
You cannot go wrong with either.

Merkur 34c vs. 38c

German engineering the best like Mercedes, Merkur by DOVO Steel Co. Solingen Germany.

Merkur 34c cost $48.00 the 38c $58.00

Blade gaps are 34c 28 and 38c 25 thousandths difference not enough to feel at all.

Both cut the same, the 38c feels much different from the 34c due to weight gain of the 38c

Both are two piece shavers

Aggressiveness, somewhere in the middle, they are not but if you push on the handle they probably will bit. The old DE shavers would eat your face off, but that alls changed with the Merkur Shaver line.

I get no nicks , or cuts from either.

There are many brand but the Merkur is the top of the line compared to nay other brand, including the British makes.

Blades, I get the 100 count Derby made in Turkey for $8.00 to $10.00, great deal, and they are very close to the Feather blades.

You probably will get 5 to 10 great shaves and very, very smooth.

The fools game are the multi blades that are expensive and give usually three shaves and clough up, I’d like to see a real push to get the DE back on the shelves.

I can't speak to the others, but I used a 34C with a brandy new Feather blade this morning and got a wonderful shave.

You will not regret getting a 34C. It can be a perfect shaver if you treat it with respect. If you get careless it can show some aggression. Those that have suggested an Edwin Jagger as a step up are quite right. It is a mild and perfect shave. The EJ also in a way celebrates German engineering. My understanding is the wonderful head design was a collaboration between the Muhle Company and the Edwin Jagger Company. I have and use both razors and would hate to give up either one.

I have both the 34C and the 38C on my pending shopping list. I cant seem to decide. I recently purchased a Parker 99R and have nicked my self 2 shaves out of 3. I think it is my shaving technique. I was in a hurry to make a appointment with my cardiologist the last time and nearly had to see a plastic surgeon instead. The parker 99R is a long handled heavy razor. I kind of like the long handle but that might be why I cut myself. Haven't used it enough to develop good technique for a long handled heavy. That being said the Merkur 38C is very appealing as well as the 34C which has a handle that is 3/4 of an inch shorter. I take blood thinner meds for my heart so I try and be careful in my choices. Any suggestions will be much appreciated.

I prefer the 33c because it is a three piece DE and I can use with it whatever handle I like. The 34c has very good balance and weight, you can't do wrong with it. A classic. I find the 38c too heavy and big for me.

Top Bottom