What's new

Merkur 33C first shave!

I just received a 33C and a Futur yesterday. I had to travel today so I had to do a quick shave. I used the 33C instead of the Futur since I think I'll have to dedicate a little more time to my first shave with the Futur. Anyways, I also have a 23C and while the head is the same on both, I felt that the 33C gave a shave that required more work (as in more passes!). I'm a 2 pass shaver and that usually gets me a DFS. Didn't happen with the 33C! In case anyone is wondering, I got the 33C because I tend to like shorter handles and the 23C handle is really long. I used a Bic blade which is really sharp. Next up I'll be trying a Feather blade to see if it performs better. I also have a Parker 97R which is essentially Parker's version of the Merkur 34C and so far I like the Parker head more. Here is the 33C:

33c.jpg

I just received a 33C and a Futur yesterday. I had to travel today so I had to do a quick shave. I used the 33C instead of the Futur since I think I'll have to dedicate a little more time to my first shave with the Futur. Anyways, I also have a 23C and while the head is the same on both, I felt that the 33C gave a shave that required more work (as in more passes!). I'm a 2 pass shaver and that usually gets me a DFS. Didn't happen with the 33C! In case anyone is wondering, I got the 33C because I tend to like shorter handles and the 23C handle is really long. I used a Bic blade which is really sharp. Next up I'll be trying a Feather blade to see if it performs better. I also have a Parker 97R which is essentially Parker's version of the Merkur 34C and so far I like the Parker head more. Here is the 33C:

View attachment 1446968
I have the Parker 97R and the Merkur 34C. They are not the same at all. There is a much greater blade gap in the Parker 97R. They are both, the Parker 97 and the Merkur 34 two of my favorite razors.
The Parker has a little more bite to it but is very smooth. The Parker 94R has the same head as the 97. Nice looking handle. All of them are great buys in razors.

Last edited:
Yep, you're right. I should
I have the Parker 97R and I am familiar with the Merkur 33C head and the Merkur 34C. They are not the same at all. There is a much greater blade gap in the Parker 97R. They are both, the Parker 97 and the Merkur 34 two of my favorite razors.
The Parker has a little more bite to it but is very smooth. The Parker 94R has the same head as the 97.
Yep, you're right. I should have specified that the 97R is Parker's version of the 34C in terms of looks & size and not by head design. The Parker is definitely more agressive. But it shaves great!
I'm doing a 4 day trip now and the 97R is in my bag!

Anyways, I also have a 23C and while the head is the same on both, I felt that the 33C gave a shave that required more work (as in more passes!). I'm a 2 pass shaver and that usually gets me a DFS. Didn't happen with the 33C! In case anyone is wondering, I got the 33C because I tend to like shorter handles and the 23C handle is really long. I used a Bic blade which is really sharp. Next up I'll be trying a Feather blade to see if it performs better.
Whilst it has the same head it still takes time to dial in a new razor. Constantly changing blades is not helpful so keep the same set up for a week.
I have not tried a BIC but the Gillette Silver Blue works nicely with the 34C so I assume the 33C will be of similar performance.

Whilst it has the same head it still takes time to dial in a new razor. Constantly changing blades is not helpful so keep the same set up for a week.
I have not tried a BIC but the Gillette Silver Blue works nicely with the 34C so I assume the 33C will be of similar performance.
I don't know how keeping the same blade for a week will make it any better. While I normally do 2 passes, it would have easily taken me 4 to get a decent result with the Bic. I honestly don't think it's the razor. I feel it mild to the point that it needs a sharper blade like a Feather. My 23C was my first and it's been stored since I started wet shaving. When I used that one, I only used the Wilkinson's that you buy at Wal-Mart and I had no clue what I was doing. I had the same issue with my aluminum Lupo, it was a dog with a Bic and as soon as I popped in a Feather it became a monster!
Now Bic's tend to get sharper after the second shave so I will try it out a 2nd. & 3rd. time. If it doesn't improve, I'll swap the blade for a Feather.

This thread prompted me to switch my current in-use blade (Gillette Platinum) to my 33c for tomorrow morning's shave.
😀

My last shave with that combo within the last week was excellent. If a Wilkinson (I assume the ones made in Germany) worked for you in the 23c, I would try those in the 33c. The razor/blade marriage can make a difference, and will be different for everyone. YMMV.

Bed Bath And Beyond/Harmon Face Values (if you have one near you) carries the German Wilkinson in tucks of 5 for a bit over $2. Make sure you grab their ubiquitous "20%" off coupon first.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand

View attachment 1446968

Very nice! Its a nice looking razor, looks like its got a textured grip handle too, which is good. I know, arn't Merkur's model numbers confusing? You'd think higher the number, the bigger the razor, handle and weight and all that. But instead, the lower model number is the bigger one.

When I first started wet shaving, I was just too confused by their model system. But now days I am starting to get used to it. I still await your thoughts on the Futur, but for now, I am happy to hear that you like this razor. However, I
do agree, its strange that it shaves more mildly.

This razor may not end up being your favorite then. Thats the whole reason I stopped using my Feather AS-D2, just too mild for me.

The weight and size of the handle does make a difference, at least at first. At the end of the day, if the heads are the same, you will be able to get the same shave. Your muscle memory just has to adapt.

But of course, depending on the tolerances, even two 33Cs can shave a bit differently. My top cap is a bit off kilter, but I found that if you load a blade with the top cap face up, drop on the blade, hold down baseplate with fingers, then screw on handle, the blade aligns perfectly with the guard bar. Previously, before using that method, I would have to fiddle with the blade by hand. You may want to check the alignment if you haven't already.

Very nice! Its a nice looking razor, looks like its got a textured grip handle too, which is good. I know, arn't Merkur's model numbers confusing? You'd think higher the number, the bigger the razor, handle and weight and all that. But instead, the lower model number is the bigger one.

When I first started wet shaving, I was just too confused by their model system. But now days I am starting to get used to it. I still await your thoughts on the Futur, but for now, I am happy to hear that you like this razor. However, I
do agree, its strange that it shaves more mildly.

This razor may not end up being your favorite then. Thats the whole reason I stopped using my Feather AS-D2, just too mild for me.
I learned Merkur & Parker's numbering by reading here and just going through their catalogs. Neither makes sense!
I think both those brands have the most models so they're the most confusing. They should just name them #1, #2, #3 etc.. LOL!!
It will be a few days till I try out the Futur so until then..
I bought the 33C because it's got the light & short handle and because I got it on sale so it was good to try out.
After a single use, it's too early to tell if I end up really liking it. I'll experiment with different blades to see. I have discovered that I definitely like more aggressive razors and the discovery came after using the Flexi and the Variant.
Sorry you stopped using the Feather. It most definitely is mild from what I've read but have you tried a really sharp blade (like a Feather) on it?
That might pep it up. My aluminum Lupo woke up with a sharper blade and now it's in my top 3 favorites. It's a shame to have such a beautiful razor and stick it in a drawer. If in the end it doesn't work out, you can always sell it on here.

Oh, and Razorock is another that's confusing for me:

RazoRock-Razor-Scale.jpg

Last edited:
The weight and size of the handle does make a difference, at least at first. At the end of the day, if the heads are the same, you will be able to get the same shave. Your muscle memory just has to adapt.

But of course, depending on the tolerances, even two 33Cs can shave a bit differently. My top cap is a bit off kilter, but I found that if you load a blade with the top cap face up, drop on the blade, hold down baseplate with fingers, then screw on handle, the blade aligns perfectly with the guard bar. Previously, before using that method, I would have to fiddle with the blade by hand. You may want to check the alignment if you haven't already.
Good idea! I'll check it out when I'm back home next week.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
have you tried a really sharp blade (like a Feather) on it?

The razor came with Feather blades, so I was using Feather blades yep. And when I first began using my Rex Ambassador, I was using a Feather blade in it too, cause thats all I had. I didn't get the Bic blades until a bit later, and now thats what I am using.

Personally, my Feather AS-D2 is now a backup razor, a backup if my adjustables take a dump. The one good thing about a 3-piece razor, no mechanics! Just a simple threaded rod into the base plate and top cap.

Top Bottom