What's new

Merkur 25c

Hello!
I am interested in this open comb razor. I have read many reviews about it but they get me more confused. So I am asking if here at B&B someones actually use it and how they find the shave?

I have read that some find this razor too mild ? I personally like Muhle R41 2013 a lot. I am not looking for another Muhle R41 but something between Muhle R41 and R89. I am wondering if this Merkur 25c could be like that..I like the feel of R41 but I wouldn't mind a bit less aggressive razor for a change.

Thanks!

I have the 1904 41 OC. I think they share the same head. Merkur OCs are mild. The 25C has a longer handle. Another option for a mild OC is the Parker 26C.

You can try a vintage Gillette New as it is one of the mildest and most efficient OC razors around. The RR OC is also another choice to look at.

Hello!
I am interested in this open comb razor. I have read many reviews about it but they get me more confused. So I am asking if here at B&B someones actually use it and how they find the shave?

I have read that some find this razor too mild ? I personally like Muhle R41 2013 a lot. I am not looking for another Muhle R41 but something between Muhle R41 and R89. I am wondering if this Merkur 25c could be like that..I like the feel of R41 but I wouldn't mind a bit less aggressive razor for a change.

Thanks!
If you like the R41 it wouldn't be the best choice to go to the 25C... Opposite side of shaving from each other. I would however suggest the FaTip Piccolo or the Grande though. Brass / Nickel plated quality razor for around $20 most anywhere. With the right blade choice it performs in or around the same neighborhood as the R41. I sold my R41 and bought a Piccolo. Was one of the better trade offs I have made so far in my change over into safety razors to date. It's in my weekly rotation and I think it would take something unique to bump it from the rotation... You should also take a look at the Schone OC also. Its mfg'd by FaTip and private labeled for them. 9 teeth instead of 11 with the same top cap. I don't have one but there are some good reviews here on the forum though...

If you like the R41 it wouldn't be the best choice to go to the 25C... Opposite side of shaving from each other. I would however suggest the FaTip Piccolo or the Grande though. Brass / Nickel plated quality razor for around $20 most anywhere. With the right blade choice it performs in or around the same neighborhood as the R41. I sold my R41 and bought a Piccolo. Was one of the better trade offs I have made so far in my change over into safety razors to date. It's in my weekly rotation and I think it would take something unique to bump it from the rotation... You should also take a look at the Schone OC also. Its mfg'd by FaTip and private labeled for them. 9 teeth instead of 11 with the same top cap. I don't have one but there are some good reviews here on the forum though...

+1 I've only had my Fatip Piccolo for a week but so far I'm really enjoying it. Between the DE89 and R41 for aggressiveness for me.

I have the Schone and the Piccolo and I get the same close shave from both but the Schone is a lot smoother shave.

I see you have a few recommendations for a Parker 26c or 24c. I have the Parker 26c (the 24 and 26 are the same, the 24 is all chrome, the 26 has a black handle). I read some reviews that claim it is mild, others say quite aggressive. Those may not be the correct terms since typically they are used to describe blade exposure. They may be on the mild to medium side on blade exposure, but they are definitely not a comfortable shave. I find they tear up my face. I get fairly severe irritation and cuts with my 26c. Yet, my much more aggressive Schone, Fatip Piccolo, and RazoRock Mentor are comfortable and leave me irritation and cut free.

From what I read, the Merkur open combs are efficient, but they are quite mild and smooth. They aren't overly expensive so they are worth a try (I plan to get the 1904/41c eventually). They may not be what you are looking for now, but mild/smooth yet efficient sounds like a winning combination to me (similar to my RazoRock OLD Type OC which is one of my favorites), and even if it isn't quite the feel you are looking for now I suspect you'll like it.

If you definitely want something on the aggressive side, here's another vote for the Fatip (I have a Piccolo) or the Schone. The Schone may be my favorite razor. It is just as aggressive and efficient as the Fatip, but far smoother. The Piccolo took me a couple shaves to dial in and get a truly comfortable shave (it wasn't bad, but there was definitely some irritation and weepers at first), while the Schone has been terrific from the start. Both are terrific razors, all brass under the plating (better longevity than a zamak razor) and inexpensive (you can get them under $25 shipped). If you want aggressive but not necessarily open comb, a slant (I have a RazoRock German 37) or the very aggressive RazoRock Mentor are good options as well.

I have R41 2013 and Merkur 15C (same head as 25C). I find both to be worth having. The Merkur open comb is really mild, but also the most efficient razor I got for long growth. If I would stay a month without shaving, the Merkur 15C would mow down the whiskers without clogging, in a better way than what R41 is able to do.

Merkur open combs are not the razors for ultra close shave. They actually have negative blade exposure. If you get one, don't try to shave closer than what it is designed to shave. By adding pressure, you feel more of the blade, but pressure will always give irritation. I have noticed that a bad habit of adding pressure might gradually sneak into the shaving with this one.

This is a razor that is great to have if you have been playing with new shaving tools and failed and you need to give your face a rest. This is also a razor great for speed shaving as you can hardly give yourself injury with this one.

So I ordered Parker 24C. I hope it will be good razor. Online reviews are as usual some good some bad. I will add my opinions here later when I got this razor.

I shaved this Morning with the Parker 24C. I liked it.
A bit same kind of feeling as shaving with R41 but much much smoother. It is not aggressive razor but efficient. Very fast razor to shave. ATG around my chin it was a bit tuggy but nothing too tuggy. I need to shave more with it.

The handle was nice. Could be a bit thicker to my liking. It has nice grip.

I recommend to try this razor. Value for money I think.

Top Bottom