What's new

Merkur 23c or Edwin Jagger DE89

Hey, everyone. I’m currently in the market for my second DE razor. I’m just having quite the problem of deciding between the Edwin Jagger DE89 or Merkur 23c.
My first razor was a Wilkinson Sword classic. I learned some general technique and want to invest in a better razor.
There are some better features between both of my choices. The Merkur comes with a more trustworthy and time-tested name along with a safety bar on the edge of the razor.
The Edwin Jagger is much more sleek than the Merkur and is a tad more aggressive, which I prefer. I feel like in the long run I would much more appreciate the Edwin Jagger as it’s not constrained to being just a beginner’s razor.
To where as the Merkur holds its strengths to being developed specifically for the beginner with its safety bar and angle. This is beneficial to my technique as I’m still in the initial aspects of shaving with a DE.

I’m sure you guys see my conundrum. thanks for your time and I’m looking forward to this community’s advice.

I'm not sure the 23C was developed specifically for beginners, but rather those who want a milder shaver.

I got the 23C (it was the 180 when I got it) because I thought I'd like the longer handle. Turned out I didn't. Yet the 1904/06 Classic gets a lot of use, still.

Get the EJ, you know you want it, and it's not so aggressive as to be an issue for new users.

The EJ also has a safety bar and shaves at a similar angle. Also, it's name is just as trustworthy and time-tested, and it is chromed by Rolls Royce as well. Both razors are very good, but my preference is for the beauty of the EJ.

I 2nd the seconds of the EJ. I introduced my brother to SE shaving with it and he loves it. Go for it!

I owned both a did not prefer them myself. However they are excellent razors and beautifully finnished. I prefer the Merkur HD in that line. I like the 2 piece design. A very personal choice. Sounds like you want the EJ more. As it is a 3 piece you can always swap handles on it if you like the head. Very mild.

They are a bit similar, whereas the EJ has a broader blade gap which makes it more efficient (without getting more aggressive IMHO). So, I would vote for the EJ DE89 or Muehle R89 (I never could feel any difference between the heads, or the razors except a slightly lighter handle on the Muehle). If you want something milder I would recommend a Gillette Super Speed with a 1940s head design over the Merkur 23.

My second razor was a Rockwell 6C ($50). It's my only razor now. It's like a reliable adjustable because it comes with three plates offering 6 gap templates. For a person with sensitive skin, this is the smoothest, best cutting razor I own. I've heard great things about the Karve too and that's probably coming at some point, but for now, the Rockwell is my all around top shaver.

Welcome! Between the two razors you're trying to decide between, I recommend the EJ. Smooth shave, great finish, great customer service.

I guess I am late to the party but the 23c is still one of my favorites. I too thought I would prefer the longer handle, but after a few more weeks of shaving tried my 34c again and decided I liked the shorter handle after all. I bought a short (3.25”) stainless steel handle at Maggards and now it is just right. The blade angle on Merkurs works better on my face than vintage Gillettes but a Slim Adjustable is still in my rotation. My favorite Merkur is now the Progress.

I too vote for the EJ89! That was my first DE razor before I went down the rabbit hole in search of the perfect razor. The DE89 is great for perfecting your technique and still get a smooth efficient shave.

EJ DE89 was my first DE and I shaved with it daily for over 5 years. A great razor. I eventually moved to straight razors, but the EJ has been loaned out to those interested for the past year and so far has enticed 4 converts to traditional shaving. I bought my son a DE89 as his first DE. Can't go wrong with the EJ DE89.

To where as the Merkur holds its strengths to being developed specifically for the beginner with its safety bar and angle.
This razor works for beginers and experienced shavers alike so that statement is confusing. The 33C is the standard handle 3-piece version which you may find better. The 23C has a longer but thinner handle on the same head.
The Merkur is a little more aggressive than the EJ DE89, I find, and the knurling is very secure in the hand. I use the Merkur 34C (same razor head in 2-piece construction) and it is shaves well.

I had both razors and would go with the EJ myself - very well made with amazing chrome.

Nothing wrong with Merkur (in fact my favorite razor which I use daily is a Merkur 37C), I just was very impressed with the EJ DE89 build quality and shave performance. But for me, nothing compares to the performance of Merkur's slant headed 37C!

I really like my Merkur safety bar (one of my favorites), as it glides easily, shaves very closely, and is quite intuitive to shave with for me.

Unfortunately, I started out with the EJ and kept getting razor burn no matter my technique. I ordered another years later and continued to have the same issue. I believe that my problem is quite rare, though.

Ultimately, both are excellent choices so I would go with your personal preference.

Top Bottom