What's new

Merkur 1904 Open Comb

I got a couple new razors this week, a Merkur Sledgehammer Slant and a 1904 open comb. I tried the Slant first and loved it and thought there was no way the 1904 could measure up.

Silly me, I tried it out today and thought it was great as well. I swear, I never thought I would look forward to shaving like I do since I started wetshaving.

I actually considered shaving off my goatee (sp?) for the first time in 10 years just so I have more canvas to work with.:tongue_sm

I kinda thought you might like the 1904 when I noticed in your previous posts that you had bought one. Once you get used to using it you will probably find that it will be hard to find a more comfortable shave.

I don't have any experience with the Slants but I do enjoy my 1904 and my HD. I think Merkur for a current production company, makes great products.

Just out of curiousity--did you loosen the handle of the 1904 just a little before shaving? It will increase the blade gap and give you a closer shave. Just an 1/8 to a 1/4 turn will make a big difference.

glad you like your razors-

Marty E.

I took your advice and did just that. It was a great shave. You're right, it was very comfortable. I'm going to enjoy rotating between the 1904 and the Slants. Totally different shaves, but I like them both.

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
I currently have a Merkur HD and it is my go-to razor. I get a better shave with it that with any Gillette I have ever tried. For Christmas, I am going to ask for either a 1904 open or closed comb, or a slant open or closed comb. I am aware that the slant gives a very close shave, but am worried about its aggressiveness - the red tip was pretty painful for me to use, simply because of the tugging.

Knowing all this, do you have one you'd recommend over the other?

I currently have a Merkur HD and it is my go-to razor. I get a better shave with it that with any Gillette I have ever tried. For Christmas, I am going to ask for either a 1904 open or closed comb, or a slant open or closed comb. I am aware that the slant gives a very close shave, but am worried about its aggressiveness - the red tip was pretty painful for me to use, simply because of the tugging.

Knowing all this, do you have one you'd recommend over the other?

The Slant wasn't as scary as I thought it would be. Really close shave with little irritation, however if you aren't careful you can get a nick easily. The 1904 open-comb was a very comfortable shave and absolutely no nicks, but still a nice close shave.

If you are concerned about painful shaves, I would go 1904 open comb.

I'm really impressed with the 1904 razors. They're fun to look at and use and they are very effective. :thumbup:

I'm glad to see these posts on the 1904. Since I started wet shaving I've tried about 10 or 12 razors. The 1904 is my go to razor now though, everything about it is great. I have it in both safety bar and open comb. Its the best razor I've ever used, and makes the HD my back-up razor.

I have a thick beard and large hands, but the 1904 just sings when I use it. :thumbup1: :a5:

Are you guys talking about the 1904 with open comb or w/o open comb?

For anyone considering the 1904--do yourself a favor and get the Open Comb model. I cannot imagine any razor delivering a more COMFORTABLE shave and a nice close shave as well.

I have a few nice Gillettes, a GEM or two and a HD. I like them all and rotate them occasionally. The 1904 is the one I can easily see myself sticking with. In other words, for me it's a RAD killer.......

Glad you gentlemen enjoy yours!!

cheers,

Marty E.

DO IT! :thumbup1: Goatee's went out with Hootie and The Blowfish and The Gin Blossoms. This is the era of the Shaving Man.
Wp

Ha Ha Ha! I'd do it, but SWMBO likes as much of my ugly mug covered as possible. I may just have to have a shaving "accident" and have to take it off.:wink2:

For anyone considering the 1904--do yourself a favor and get the Open Comb model. I cannot imagine any razor delivering a more COMFORTABLE shave and a nice close shave as well.

I have a few nice Gillettes, a GEM or two and a HD. I like them all and rotate them occasionally. The 1904 is the one I can easily see myself sticking with. In other words, for me it's a RAD killer.......

Glad you gentlemen enjoy yours!!

cheers,

Marty E.

I am torn now between this or a slant , I had a Merkur HD and found it gave me the same shave as a Trac II or Atra cartridge and sold it. I want something aggressive just for fun now and I am stuck in the middle.

I am torn now between this or a slant , I had a Merkur HD and found it gave me the same shave as a Trac II or Atra cartridge and sold it. I want something aggressive just for fun now and I am stuck in the middle.

My opinion is that the slant is more aggressive than the 1904.

Top Bottom