What's new

Merkur 15c?

Merkur have made milder many, if not all of their fixed heads models over the years. I believe that has been made intentionally to boost sales, since milder razors sell more. We are not talking the adjustables. Love both the Progress and the Futur. At the higher settings they give me BBS even with very mild blades.
Yes, Merkur razors are soft, so I put a plate from Gillette. Otherwise, the face remains black. Futur was very big and heavy for me. But I bought his clone from Qsave, if it fit in size, I would buy the original. But it was impossible to shave off the mustache and sideburns with such a large razor. Although models from Merkur with an open and closed comb are very maneuverable.

Couple things to clear up first...

Can it do BBS? Yes! The usual three-pass BBS is not a problem at all. In fact, the mildness is probably an advantage on the final ATG pass

Can it cut thick, tough hair? Yes! Use a sharp blade and it will glide through anything.

This is a mild head design which makes it very easy to use.

The open comb makes it incredibly versatile. Daily shaver. Week-old beard. The mildness makes it excellent for head or body shaving. I once tried to shave a swan for a bet but the police came. I bet it would work great on that too.

I recommend a sharp blade like a Nacet (better than Feather IMO). As a general rule, mild razor and sharp blade is a great combination.

I have the travel version, 985C, with a short two-piece handle (only 44g in total). It's quite possibly the best razor ever made. Perfectly balanced, IMO, with all the weight towards the head. Perhaps it's because this was the first DE razor I had, the one I learned with, but it just feels "right" in my hand.

I also have a Fatip piccolo. This will shave a little closer on the first pass but the much heavier piccolo feels slightly clumsy by comparison - probably because I've spent more time with the Merkur. The Fatip is still a great little razor with lots of fans. Some extra weight can help a razor to glide through really thick hair.

Your favorite travel razor - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/your-favorite-travel-razor.594269/page-2#post-10908553

Yes, Merkur razors are soft, so I put a plate from Gillette. Otherwise, the face remains black. Futur was very big and heavy for me. But I bought his clone from Qsave, if it fit in size, I would buy the original. But it was impossible to shave off the mustache and sideburns with such a large razor. Although models from Merkur with an open and closed comb are very maneuverable.
The Qshave is just a rebrand. The real razor is Ming Shi 2000s. It is 1-2 mm shorter than Futur. Also it is 97-98g against the Futur's 127g. The Chinese imtitations have different gaps and exposure in different batches. Yes, I know how to calibrate them, so it is not a question of uncalibrated ones. They just make them different in different batches. Some are milder than the Futur, some on par, some are even more aggressive. It's a lottery.

Top Bottom