What's new

Merkur 15c?

I am looking to add an open comb DE razor to my collection and have seen the Merkur 15c available and I'm wondering if anyone has one or tried one?
It looks like a nice razor.

merkur 15c.jpg

Last edited:
The 15C is very comfortable, very smooth and rather mild. However, if you chase BBS then it might not be a good fit.

Think of it as a do it all type of razor. Daily shaving ATG - no problem, need to mow down a 6 month beard - no problem.

Thanks for the input. I assumed it being open comb it would be a more aggressive razor. I don't always chase a BBS but sometimes I strive for it when I have the time to devote to it. I am looking for something on the more aggressive side in an open comb razor. Maybe something vintage as well.

Dave himself

Wee Words of Wisdom
May I suggest the Fatip Piccolo yes I know they have alignment issues but it only takes me about 30 seconds to set this right. It rewards me with with a DFS++ or BBS with a 2 pass shave WTG XTG with no irritation. I would put this razor in the mid to high aggressive range this is just MHO.

Or you could go a step up with the Yaqi OC slant. I know a lot of shavers on here didn't get along with this razor. When I first got mine I wasn't sure of it as well. But after a few shaves I got it dialed in. Its now one of my favorite and most efficient razors I own apart from my R41. I would class this razor on a high aggressive scale. Once again this is just MHO

I'm sure there will be a lot of gentlemen along shortly to give you good advice on the vintage OCs. I've never had the privilege of using one of these razors so can't comment.

Good luck on your quest and have fun 👍

Last edited:

Iridian

Cool and slimy
The Merkur 15C, Merkur has except for slant and obviously different models like the Futur, only one head in OC and SB, is a MILD to VERY MILD OC razor.

You will not notice that much difference, but it is indeed a tad more efficient than the SB of the Merkur 34C. Though many probably love the handle and 2 piece setup of the 34C, that is the only thing that can possibly explain the difference. I love beefy handles, but the short 34C is more popular (edit, wanted to say the 38C is the same as the 34C, with a longer handle). The head is exactly the same.

Last edited:

Iridian

Cool and slimy
One word of warning: Merkur is producing good quality, but QC? You sometimes get rusty or not well chromed spots, even with the more expensive Futurs. They are only cheap in Germany and Europe, in the USA you probably massively overpay for them and might be better served with old Gillettes. For collection purposes such things don't matter though, I know. :)

Thanks for the input. I assumed it being open comb it would be a more aggressive razor. I don't always chase a BBS but sometimes I strive for it when I have the time to devote to it. I am looking for something on the more aggressive side in an open comb razor. Maybe something vintage as well.
I have the Gillette New Long comb and the Gillette New Improved. The LC, espeically riding the cap, is a great, really close, really pretty safe feeling shave. The NI, well, I think that's aggressive. Not dangerously so. But more aggressive than the LC. A slightly closer shave than the LC. Both are great razors and you can pick up an LC pretty economically (under $20) on the BST as they show up there every once in a while.

I am looking to add an open comb DE razor to my collection and have seen the Merkur 15c available and I'm wondering if anyone has one or tried one?
It looks like a nice razor.

View attachment 1551132
I bought this razor about 5 or 6 years ago, it gives a nice comfortable shave it is mild compared to Muhle 41, ikon short comb, Gillette old type and Fatip-Schone oc razors. I have shaved with all the above open combs, the Merkur takes a bit to dial in the best angle and I used a shim for some shaves. Now after the blabber it is a great razor in my opinion just takes a bit longer to figure out, hope this helps

Terribly mild. If you have tough whiskers, just forget about BBS. Open comb doesn't necessarily mean aggressive or very effective.

Not a huge OC fan, but the Fatip recommendation is solid and most likely the better razor. I have found good success with the Tatara OC plates and the Timeless OC 68 plate for smooth shaves though I prefer SB razors. These will cost you more but shave super smooth. The 15c is relatively inexpensive so why not give it a shot to see if it works for you. The Fatip is also reasonably priced.

No, I don't need. If I want to use the Old type I'll just reach for the Old type. The advantage of having 250+ razors.
I just once bought a separate top plate from Old Type, and thus increased the efficiency of my Merkur. Prior to this, it was unrealistic to shave cleanly.

I just once bought a separate top plate from Old Type, and thus increased the efficiency of my Merkur. Prior to this, it was unrealistic to shave cleanly.
Merkur have made milder many, if not all of their fixed heads models over the years. I believe that has been made intentionally to boost sales, since milder razors sell more. We are not talking the adjustables. Love both the Progress and the Futur. At the higher settings they give me BBS even with very mild blades.

Top Bottom