What's new

Merkur 15-25c open comb,closeness of shave???

I have 25 c from Merkur for few years and have been using it occasionally,its open comb,very efficient in taking down weeks,or couple weeks growth,but i cant really get as close as shave as with my other razors.I get pretty good shaves ,dont get me wrong,but never as close as with merkur 33c,baili 171,or my parker razor.Any input is welcome.

Brother Bobby,

Assuming your technique is ok and your blade is sharp, it just may be the razor is too mild for the coarseness of your whiskers.

Possible solutions: Improve your preshave prep. Do 4 passes instead of 3 or fewer passes. Use a more aggressive razor.

Also, an open combed razor is not necessarily more aggressive and effective than a closed comb razor.

Id say it may just be too mild for you. The open comb Merkurs are pretty mild. They may look aggressive because they are open comb but they have very minimal blade gap.

I think its too mild...efficient but mild,been shaving this way 15 yrs so my technique is ok.This razor is ok,and takes 2 weeks of growth easily,but doesnt shave as close as some others,its still good shave but not bbs like i get with other razors.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Not a lot of exposure on the three-piece Merkur open comb razors. I think their safety bar head shaves much closer.

I've got one of the last 11C (looks like 34C but open comb) and it's actually a little better than my 1904 style OC.

Try applying a hot flannel to the stubble for good exfoliation to enable the whiskers to stand up prior to shaving Then rub hand soap or shaving soap/cream into stubble and rinse again with a hot flannel pressing it into the stubble which softens the whiskers. Now you can lather up and get a close shave!

IIRC, that razor actually has a slightly negative blade exposure. It is only when the shaving angle is just right, with a slight bit of pressure applied, that you can get a close shave with it. Even then, it may require an extra pass compared to others.

Nevertheless,i like this razor,no irritation at all,and i shaved my head few times with it with couple mths 9f growth,takes it off easily.

My 15C (short-handled 25C) is my mildest razor. I can get pretty decent shaves with it, very close to BBS, but not quite there...

For closer shaves I would suggest:
1. Try a Kai blade
2. Use your 25C for your first pass and your 33C for your second/third passes

Good luck!

Brother Bobby,

Assuming your technique is ok and your blade is sharp, it just may be the razor is too mild for the coarseness of your whiskers.

Possible solutions: Improve your preshave prep. Do 4 passes instead of 3 or fewer passes. Use a more aggressive razor.

Also, an open combed razor is not necessarily more aggressive and effective than a closed comb razor.

+1! Try better prep and a variety of blades.

If that does not do the trick, then you another razor may be the answer.

I get almost bbs shave without any irritation,33c shaves closer,period.My baili 131 tech clone gives me closer shaves than both of these,but merkur razors are still good,you can shave everyday with these without problems.With other ones i have can do it every second or third day,but with bbs i can go for 2 days without shaving.

Top Bottom