What's new

'Merica Razor blade gap wider than spec?

I purchased a 'merica razor recently and I wonder if they have changed the design or if the specs are inaccurate. I've searched the topic and most comments describe the 'merica razor as mild. The vendor's website claims .016" blade gap which would be very mild.

I found several posts here in the forum that describe the 'merica as similar or slightly milder than the Yates 921 M plate (M plate is .025").

Then there is a YouTube video where (SinatraLennon I think?) tries it for the first time and thinks it's almost as aggressive as an R41 (but not as scary) ... and another where the reviewer is comparing the 'merica to a Rockwell on plate 5 (.027"). And when I measure the blade gap on my new 'merica, a .029 feeler just barely slips into the gap between the edge of the blade and safety bar so I'd say the blade gap is .029

So what's going on here? Did they change the design and not update the specs? Anyone else purchase one recently?

WSC categorizes it as mild to medium and I would agree with that. All such ratings are subjective, but I wouldn't call it just mild, it is a bit more than that.

I read that the M in Yates speak is = medium, not mild.

Right, for Yates the "M" is for "medium." I've heard some compare the 'Merica favorably to the Yates "M" plate. I like the 'Merica which makes me think I would like the Yates also.

I read that the M in Yates speak is = medium, not mild.

What I'm asking is if the spec is listed incorrectly (by "spec" I mean .016" blade gap not whether it's described as Med or Mild) or if the spec has recently changed. How long ago did you purchase your 'merica and have you measured the blade gap?

The Yates website specs the M as .025" and the WSC website specs the 'merica as .016" and the new 'merica I just bought measures greater than either of those two specs.
1668187000200.png

Right, for Yates the "M" is for "medium." I've heard some compare the 'Merica favorably to the Yates "M" plate. I like the 'Merica which makes me think I would like the Yates also.
That’s what for me into the Yates razors. A Winning and Merica razor were ordered and quickly realized I’d they were that good the Yates has to be better and it is

I'm a fan of both the Winning and 'Merica razors. I am thinking that the Yates 921 with H plate is probably the one I really want to save up for. I am wondering how it compares in efficiency with the R41 and the Dart, both of which I like very well.

Top Bottom