What's new

Mergress and bad razor burn

Ok, Ive been at this wet shaving thing for a dozen years now and have learned to shave with damn near anything including slants so, I’m no rookie. I finally sprung for a Mergress after hearing so much about them for so many years. Three shaves in now and that damn razor has humbled me. The shave feels fine, not real close though and then a few hours later my face is burning like it did back when I first started. It’s like I don’t know that the hell I’m doing. Yes, I’m using a shallower angle than most DEs, yes I set on the mild side at 2, yes I made sure the cap is on in the right direction and the blade is aligned. I tried a Feather blade the first two shaves and a Derby Extra today. Sitting here thinking about putting ice on my face. I’m at a complete loss. There are those that swear by this razor but wow, it’s killing my face. Any ideas what I’m doing wrong here?

Maybe too much pressure? The Mergress is hefty weight wise so I would try lightening up a bit. I have one in my regular rotation and have no issues with it. I find this razor to be on the efficient side but with your experience and the low setting you should have no problems. Hang in there, it's a very nice shaver. You may also want to try a higher setting. If you are not getting a close shave you may have it set too low and are scraping with it. If you are used to aggressive/efficient razors this might work. I use mine with a variety of blades on about 4 1/4-4 1/2 but most of my rotation are more aggressive/efficient razors. Once you dial it in you will really enjoy it.

Last edited:
Maybe too much pressure? The Mergress is hefty weight wise so I would try lightening up a bit. I have one in my regular rotation and have no issues with it. I find this razor to be on the efficient side but with your experience and the low setting you should have no problems. Hang in there, it's a very nice shaver. You may also want to try a higher setting. If you are not getting a close shave you may have it set too low and are scraping with it. If you are used to aggressive/efficient razors this might work. I use mine with a variety of blades on about 4 1/4-4 1/2 but most of my rotation are more aggressive/efficient razors. Once you dial it in you will really enjoy it.
Ok, I had this in the back of my mind - too much pressure due to the weight of the razor. I may try dialing it up too. Thanks for the feedback. This is such a beautiful razor I would hate to give up. It would also be the only razor I failed to control. My ego won’t support that right now. Ha.

I am thinking the blade, some razors are not picky and work fine with any blade, and others are somewhat particular about blades, it might be the mergress is one of them, you say you have tried feather and derby blades, one is super sharp, the other leaves things to be desired in my experience, maybe try something mid spectrum, I would recomend to try a Gillette Silver Blue or Polsilver SI, top tier for me but really smooth blades

Sorry!

I suggest you put the Mergress on the shelf for a bit. Then give it another try with three things in mind:

1. A new razor generally means that I need to revisit my blade choice. I suggest you work through the options in your den. Personally, I don’t get on that well with either Feathers or Derby’s, but that’s me. My top tier is usually: GSB, Nacet, Astra SP, Personna labs, and Personna reds.

2. As you suggest, try various angles and definitely NO pressure (so easy to overdo it with a heavy razor)!

3. Some razors just don’t work. If the second try does not work out, then it may be time to move on!

Best of luck!!

Been shaving with the Mergress XL for ten years or so, using the Israeli Personnas. Used the Progress before so I knew the weight of the razor fairly well. Have semi tough whiskers and usually set the dial to 1.5 with a very light touch, letting the razor do its thing. Tried the Feather blades in it, for me, too aggressive a shave. I've found it to be an excellent razor and it will unfortunately cut you if you're not paying attention. The finest adjustable I've ever used.

Any ideas what I’m doing wrong here?
Takes time to get familiar with a new razor so keep trying. I am surprised you are having a problem on setting 2, perhaps a slightly wider gap may help but don't force it. Blades can make a difference so try different ones; Astra SP or GSB are a great match in a Progress / Megress.

Try a GSB or an Israeli Personna. I would never use a Feather in a Mergress.
You are probably right in that I should try other blades. Feathers and/or Derby Extras have worked for me in just about all of the dozen or so razors I have used in the past but, the Megress is truly a different razor. Today was better, dialed up to 4 but my chin was still irritated this but better by the afternoon so maybe I‘m making “Progress”. See what I did there? I have some Swedish Gillettes and 7 O’clocks on hand. May give those a try.

Sorry for not recognizing the others that also advised on blade choice. Definitely going to do that. Really appreciate all the suggestions, thats why I come here. Thanks guys. Peep has I will give it a eat as BigJ suggested. I have plenty of time to learn this new tool and probably could do for a nice comfortable shave again from one of my other go-to razors.

Not sure where ”Peep has I will give it a eat as BigJ suggested.” came from in my last post. Meant to say, ”Perhaps I will give it a rest as BigJ suggested.”

First, do you have the plate properly assembled? The triangle and the I must be on the same side. Second, have you tighten down on the TTO and then adjust from there.

One more thing - as an adjustable, have you tried to dial it all the way down and see how it feels there (and then gradually increase)? But I agree with checking if it is assembled properly (see ackvil's post above) and trying a few different blades as well.

One more thing - as an adjustable, have you tried to dial it all the way down and see how it feels there (and then gradually increase)? But I agree with checking if it is assembled properly (see ackvil's post above) and trying a few different blades as well.
i have checked and rechecked the assembly as suggested. Blade cap is on correctly. Blade alignment and gap is consistent. I did my first shave at 1. Thats where my troubles began. Tried a 7 O’clock blade this morning. Cut fine. Just did three passes instead of my usual four. We will see how my face feels in a few hours. If not good then I’m putting up the Mergress for a few days.

"Sharper" blades work best in my lighter weight Vintage Gillettes - Old Type, New LC & SC's, Techs, Superspeeds: Feather, Nacet, BiC, Voskhod, Wilkinson
More "Moderate" Blades give the smoothest closest & irritation-free shaves in my 'heavier' razors - any of the clunky Zamak heads: Parker Semi Slant, Maggard V2 & V3, Lithe & Lithe with Maggard V2 Plate: GSB, Shark Stainless, Astra SP, Parker, Treet Black Beauties.

I'm most likely to get razor burn with the "Sharper" blades in a heavier razor.

I had some issues with the Progress at first because the blade is on a very sharp bend compared to other razors. I found that once I got used to riding the guard it provided a very smooth shave. If you like riding the cap you'll probably be scrapping a lot more than you are used to.

"Sharper" blades work best in my lighter weight Vintage Gillettes - Old Type, New LC & SC's, Techs, Superspeeds: Feather, Nacet, BiC, Voskhod, Wilkinson
More "Moderate" Blades give the smoothest closest & irritation-free shaves in my 'heavier' razors - any of the clunky Zamak heads: Parker Semi Slant, Maggard V2 & V3, Lithe & Lithe with Maggard V2 Plate: GSB, Shark Stainless, Astra SP, Parker, Treet Black Beauties.

I'm most likely to get razor burn with the "Sharper" blades in a heavier razor.
I had some issues with the Progress at first because the blade is on a very sharp bend compared to other razors. I found that once I got used to riding the guard it provided a very smooth shave. If you like riding the cap you'll probably be scrapping a lot more than you are used to.

Very helpful guys. I’m going to order the Astra SP blades. I’ve been seeing lots of recommendations for those anyways and they are too cheap not to try.
As for the angle, I think this is something too - need to ensure I’m not scraping.

Shave was better today. Still not irritation free but much better. I’m just stunned by how humbling this razor has been. I figured it was just an adjustable 34C - my starter razor a dozen years ago. I mean seriously , how hard could this be? I’ve shaved with over a dozen different razors including slants and even that crazy double open comb thing from Phoenix - talk about blade curvature! Humbled. It’s like the Shave Gods said “Sit your *** down and learn how to shave again you arrogant mortal.”

Ok, much better today. 7’Oclock blade and as @dabrock suggested, rode the guard a little more, probably a little too much more as the shave wasn’t that close but certainty was more comfortable. So I’m getting there. Maybe. Astra blades come Friday.

Ok, much better today. 7’Oclock blade and as @dabrock suggested, rode the guard a little more, probably a little too much more as the shave wasn’t that close but certainty was more comfortable. So I’m getting there. Maybe. Astra blades come Friday.

Don't worry, you'll get the hang of it, and once you do you'll find it to be one of the best shaves around.

Also, I recall having a smoother shave on higher settings oddly enough. I think it has to do with how much the blade bends.

If you like riding the cap you'll probably be scrapping a lot more than you are used to.
I don't get what you are saying; riding the guard is more of a scraping action, riding the cap is a shallower cutting action. I prefer neutral angle with the Progress, set about 3.5.

Top Bottom