What's new

Mentholgust - Shaving Cream of the Month

Fellow shaving creams lovers, and menthol lovers,

For the August, or I should say Mentholgust "Cream of the Month", we're going to return once again to the land of:
proxy.php

Once again, as in the mildly warm month of June, we'll enjoy any and all shaving creams with MENTHOL - because while it was warm in June, we've now seen 100 plus degrees on multiple days, and surely more to come!

A number of great shaving creams with MENTHOL were mentioned in June. Since we're already "burning days" in Mentholgust, I'll list those that were mentioned the last time around.

Arko
C.O. Bigelow
Fitjar Mint
Gentleman's Best - Chilled
Godrej
Ingram
My Time B&BW
Omega
SMN
Proraso
Proraso Red
Proraso Ultra Sensitive (my personal favorite - YMMV :thumbup1:)
Tom's of Maine Mint
TSD Iced Subzero

and possibly the most interesting, a "Self-Mentholated" cream (I think that meant the B&B'r put the menthol in the cream, not that the cream mentholated itself :001_cool:)

Don't forget to also mention what aftershave you choose to go with the menthol type shaving cream. Of course pics are always appreciated, as we enjoy seeing your descriptions of what you use, and pics of what they like, especially when they include MENTHOL!

Again, the "rules", for those who choose to participate, are:

1. Use a MENTHOL type shave cream (any brand), once, all month, or as often as you choose this month
2. Post to share your impressions
3. Have fun and enjoy!

Last edited by a moderator:
Boots Cool Cologne Lather Cream is mentholated. It's not particularly strong, it has a mild Menthol effect with is nice if it is a cool day.

This morning:

Noxzema pre-shave (has menthol)
Bigelow (ditto)
Vi-Jon Brisk AS (more ditto)

Nicely chilled. :thumbup1:

Jean at mytimebathandbody may be worth checking out this month for menthol shave cream fanatics -- she'll add menthol on a scale from 1-10. I'm guessing she's never sold a "2" :biggrin:

And did somebody say Proraso? :thumbup1:

KOOL cream (bangladesh) ,barbon (hungary).dalan d'men (turkey) , and fresh up amigo (bulgaria) all menthol powered

Last edited:
Started off today with Proraso and finished it off with the Proraso splash...kept thinking about it all day in this heat :)

Well, I have had the Proraso Ultra Sensitive for about a week waiting for the right time to give it a shot. (I haven't shaved in that time as I just got out of the Air Force.) Tonight was the night. Tonight? Yes, after starting this DE wetshaving thing I decided to do it the night before since I get a closer shave and it gives me the chance to enjoy it more.

My impressions? I love it. I'm not sure if I am finally getting the hang of lathering or if it is just that much better for me than what I have been using but it was good. I didn't even realize it had menthol until I had made my first pass, then the cool effect hit me. Wow. I will be using this stuff for a while.

Would have ended with a menthol AS but I don't have any and I have been loving the Nivea sensitive balm. Any recommendations in this area?

Well, I have had the Proraso Ultra Sensitive for about a week waiting for the right time to give it a shot. (I haven't shaved in that time as I just got out of the Air Force.) Tonight was the night. Tonight? Yes, after starting this DE wetshaving thing I decided to do it the night before since I get a closer shave and it gives me the chance to enjoy it more.

My impressions? I love it. I'm not sure if I am finally getting the hang of lathering or if it is just that much better for me than what I have been using but it was good. I didn't even realize it had menthol until I had made my first pass, then the cool effect hit me. Wow. I will be using this stuff for a while.

Would have ended with a menthol AS but I don't have any and I have been loving the Nivea sensitive balm. Any recommendations in this area?

I'm really glad Mentholgust is here. I love this stuff!

proxy.php

.........Would have ended with a menthol AS but I don't have any and I have been loving the Nivea sensitive balm. Any recommendations in this area?

Hey Dave, welcome to B&B! (Sorry I didn't welcome you sooner :blushing:)

I can't help you with recommendations for menthol AS, since the Proraso Ultrasensitive SC is about the most my face can take. But I'm sure some others here will have some good ideas for you.

Gents, what menthol AS's would you recommend?

Last night I whipped up a batch of CO Bigelow and ended off with my homemade balm made up of Corn Huskers, Aqua Velva Ice Sport and Osage Rub.

Tonight I might just add some Headslick to whatever suits my fancy to give it a mentholated kick...

Mmmmmmmm, menthol:thumbup:

Yesterday i shaved with Godrej Menthol Mist and finished the shave with Aqua Velva Ice Blue.
And this morning will be Gada Cool Mint and Skin Bracer.

CO Bigelow for me, a favorite!

I finally got a good friend to try C.O. Bigelow and a brush, instead of the foam he was using, and he loves it! He asked me to find a brush for his father-in-law, and he gave that along with a tube of C.O. Bigelow to him, and his father-in-law loves it, too. He was using an Old Spice mug, spraying Gillette Foamy into the mug and stirring it up with an old VDH brush. The C.O. Bigelow and C&E BBB brush rocked his world! :thumbup1:

I finally got a good friend to try C.O. Bigelow and a brush, instead of the foam he was using, and he loves it! He asked me to find a brush for his father-in-law, and he gave that along with a tube of C.O. Bigelow to him, and his father-in-law loves it, too. He was using an Old Spice mug, spraying Gillette Foamy into the mug and stirring it up with an old VDH brush. The C.O. Bigelow and C&E BBB brush rocked his world! :thumbup1:

Aside from fragrance and -- arguably -- performance, a great thing about better creams and soaps is that you can make a single tube last for a year or more. That means I'm spending about $10 per year on cream. I really don't think foams or gels even come close, price-wise.

I posted this once, but got no love there, so I'll post it here as this is the MentholGust thread. I shaved with Gillette Mentholated cream (I stated earlier made in England, but the website says it's made in Italy) the other night and it has a pretty good menthol blast! Maybe a little less then Proraso? Not sure about that though. The lather did seem to dry fairly quickly.

Interested in hearing other folks thoughts about this one.

-jim

Just to specify a little more on the menthol AS recommendations, I personally prefer balm-type AS's with little to no alcohol. I know this may severely limit my choices but so be it.

Last night I whipped up a batch of CO Bigelow and ended off with my homemade balm made up of Corn Huskers, Aqua Velva Ice Sport and Osage Rub.

That sounds like it could be promising. Would you mind sharing your recipe for that?

Top Bottom