What's new

Menthol mania!

Something like three years ago I ordered some menthol crystals off eBay. I put a bunch in my little 5 oz. dasher bottle that I decanted my Pinaud Lime Sec. It was a face freezer to be sure. I could only use it at night because of the tears and snotstorm that followed. Every time I emptied the bottle at least halfway, I would refill it from my larger 1 L glass bottle that I store my Lime Sec in bulk. Yes, I have a 2 step glass decanting process.....but just for my beloved Pinaud line. Well I don’t really know how many times I have refilled it but it’s got to be a half dozen or so. I use it a lot in the summer, but not so much in the winter.

Tonight I grab the Lime Sec for a great finish to a super shave. Used a citrus soap and was looking for the summer experience. Forgetting it has menthol in it, I decide to go hog wild. I covered my freshly shaved face as well as my buzzed head. It rolled down my chest and all I could smell was the wonderful bright, sweet lime. Now I can calculate dilutions, but whatever the menthol concentration is, it’s still pretty potent. The tears are still rolling a half hour later. As it turns out, I’m not as used to menthol in the winter! What an amazing experience. Got to love it. I’m glad I didn’t do it before work.

Be careful with your menthol crystals, or at least shave at night if you don’t!

Have a great night friends.

Congratulations? I probably won’t get into the Margaritas in the Arctic and Floid Vigoroso til June . . . but you’re making me think about it.

I'm a menthol head. Love it! Did the bag look like this? It's a little bag but enough crystals for a lifetime.

image.jpg

I drop it in a lot of stuff. I don't have limesec but I put some in the Pinaud Citrus Musk and it worked out nicely.

It also works well in Stirling Sharp Dressed Man. And in Razorock 888. I was tempted to drop some in the Osage Rub. But that stuff burns the eyes as it is.

Congratulations? I probably won’t get into the Margaritas in the Arctic and Floid Vigoroso til June . . . but you’re making me think about it.
I couldn’t wait. I’m going on a cruise in April that my wife won, so I’m excited for a little summer. I do love it.

Good read. Even better when Ron Burgundy says it.

Thank you much.

I'm a menthol head. Love it! Did the bag look like this? It's a little bag but enough crystals for a lifetime.

View attachment 867551

I drop it in a lot of stuff. I don't have limesec but I put some in the Pinaud Citrus Musk and it worked out nicely.

It also works well in Stirling Sharp Dressed Man. And in Razorock 888. I was tempted to drop some in the Osage Rub. But that stuff burns the eyes as it is.

Yes, that’s what I bought too. Amazing how few crystals you need to create a freezing mixture. I up my Osage after I get used to it. I have tried it in several Pinaud offerings, all Satisfactory. It’s good, but I have to admit, I went overboard with my Lime Sec. I was stunned at the strength. It’s better now but still much stronger than Osage!

I just acquired some menthol crystals and I have begun to experiment with them. I am an unrepentant menthol junkie and I love this stuff at any time of the year! :001_302:

Yes, a lot of folks add glycerin and or menthol to cheaper aftershaves. I add glycerin to each Pinaud aftershave when I transfer it to glass containers. Some folks make a glycerin and menthol mix in a dropper bottle. I wish I knew the recipe for the menthol drops.

Simple question: how much do you add, to how many ounces? I'm looking for a cryogen-type effect with crushed menthol crystals. Thanks!

Most folks seeking a good freeze will keep adding until whatever solution it is will no longer absorb the crystals.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Simple question: how much do you add, to how many ounces?

I tend to like anywhere from a 1-3% solution (1g menthol in 100ml AS makes a 1% solution). The super menthol splashes are stronger than that.

Do yourself a favor and pick up a jeweler's scale for a few bucks so that you can measure grams.

Top Bottom