Menthol Help

Discussion in 'Aftershaves' started by Whilliam, Jul 5, 2019.

What's an appropriate amount of crystals (by weight, or some measure of volume) to add to, say, 8 oz. of witch hazel? I want to feel the menthol, not be blinded by it.

TIA

B.

1. I don't know that there's going to be an answer to that question, everyone experiences menthol differently. There's a lot of people out there who say that Proraso green aftershave has a nice menthol kick. To me, it's barely mentholated at all. I'd suggest adding 1 or 2 crystals at a time and then testing it until you reach the level you want.

2. Sounds like a reasonable start. Thank you!

3. Good advice. It's easier to add more than to take out when you've got too much!

4. nailed it

5. menthol crystals pack a ton of punch, IME. I would start with one long one (3/4" or so?)

7. Bhugo

Bhugo Contributor

If the aftershave is alcohol based, the crystals dissolve very fast when shaken. Also, I find that adding glycerin also affects the lasting effects of menthol as well. I add 3-5 drops of glycerin per oz. of the pinaud aftershaves in the winter. I mixed up a batch of Lime Sec that was almost unusable a couple winters ago. I love menthol, but this drew tears for a half hour.... It really wasn’t that much menthol either. Let us know how it turns out!

8. I feel like sometimes i build up a resistance to menthol. But then randomly like today stirling glacial - which ive cone to believe is mild - almost burned when i put it on.

9. one word for you: koolada