What's new

Menthol Help

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
What's an appropriate amount of crystals (by weight, or some measure of volume) to add to, say, 8 oz. of witch hazel? I want to feel the menthol, not be blinded by it.

TIA

B.

I don't know that there's going to be an answer to that question, everyone experiences menthol differently. There's a lot of people out there who say that Proraso green aftershave has a nice menthol kick. To me, it's barely mentholated at all. I'd suggest adding 1 or 2 crystals at a time and then testing it until you reach the level you want.

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
I don't know that there's going to be an answer to that question, everyone experiences menthol differently. There's a lot of people out there who say that Proraso green aftershave has a nice menthol kick. To me, it's barely mentholated at all. I'd suggest adding 1 or 2 crystals at a time and then testing it until you reach the level you want.
Sounds like a reasonable start. Thank you!

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
nailed it

What's an appropriate amount of crystals (by weight, or some measure of volume) to add to, say, 8 oz. of witch hazel? I want to feel the menthol, not be blinded by it.
I am in agreement with other gentlemen on this board. A crystal at a time, like 3/8 inch one, let it set for a week or so, shake it up and try it. Add one more crystal at a time until you get what you want. Several aftershaves I own but didn't use for a reason or two have been turned into pleasing lotions. Sometimes I add a drop of glycerin, which every drug store and mass merchant sells, to step up the moisturizing effects. Use a drop for each ounce of lotion. I used to rummage or give away lotions that didn'-t please me. Not anymore.

B.

If the aftershave is alcohol based, the crystals dissolve very fast when shaken. Also, I find that adding glycerin also affects the lasting effects of menthol as well. I add 3-5 drops of glycerin per oz. of the pinaud aftershaves in the winter. I mixed up a batch of Lime Sec that was almost unusable a couple winters ago. I love menthol, but this drew tears for a half hour.... It really wasn’t that much menthol either. Let us know how it turns out!

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
I feel like sometimes i build up a resistance to menthol. But then randomly like today stirling glacial - which ive cone to believe is mild - almost burned when i put it on.

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
If the aftershave is alcohol based, the crystals dissolve very fast when shaken. Also, I find that adding glycerin also affects the lasting effects of menthol as well. I add 3-5 drops of glycerin per oz. of the pinaud aftershaves in the winter. I mixed up a batch of Lime Sec that was almost unusable a couple winters ago. I love menthol, but this drew tears for a half hour.... It really wasn’t that much menthol either. Let us know how it turns out!
Thanks for the Lime Sec tip. Just bought some and didn't particularly like it until I added some menthol crystals. Now it's become a summertime must. Been adding glycerin, too, but just a drop per ounce. Per your suggestion, I plan to add a drop or two more and see what happens.

Top Bottom