What's new

Menthol for the winter

Call me crazy, but I like a menthol splash in the winter. It was 5 degrees F the other day, I used some Nor Easter and confidently marched into the bitter cold. Products that leve a warm feel on my face are nice too but something about freezing my face before I go out and freeze my face, it just feels right

While menthol is more typically a thing of hot weather for me, I still find myself using Proraso Green cream, balm, and aftershave some days. I usually stop rinsing with cold water too until I don't. Fortunately, unlike much of this old house, I can keep the bathroom toasty warm on those cold days.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
Call me crazy, but I like a menthol splash in the winter. It was 5 degrees F the other day, I used some Nor Easter and confidently marched into the bitter cold. Products that leve a warm feel on my face are nice too but something about freezing my face before I go out and freeze my face, it just feels right

Oh my gosh, its so nice to meet you @Robert6891 😁

You are speaking to a menthol junkie right now, so I completely understand where you are coming from my friend. It could be freezing outside, and while all the normies out there might say, use a warm scent to artificially heat you up. I'd be like, oh heck no! Send Jack Frost my way, and have him throw a snowball in my face, sometimes, you just gotta chill. 🌨️☃️❄️

Welcome to my new PAA Chill Mill menthol grinder!
proxy.php
proxy.php

Head on over to PAA to get yourself one of these!
You can also buy the menthol crystals from them!

Now, here's what you do. Take the top off, now fill
it up with the good stuff!
proxy.php

Now your ready to go!
proxy.php

Re-attach the grinder to the top!

Now, you just remove the protective cap,
and you use it just like you would with a
pepper grinder. Use 2 to 4 rotations to do
a standard shave soap mentholation. If
you want eye and nostril cleansing, use
more rotations, to add more menthol.

This is what I do, to turn all my non-mentholated shave soaps, into happy mentholated shave soaps. I slap that shave soap on my face, and I proceed to feel the cool freeze on my face. Then when your done, and you rinse your face off with cold water, oh yeah, the feeling is invigorating! We are the same brother, and hopefully, I helped you out in some way, to AMP up your menthol game in the end. ;)

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I find Proraso green menthol pre shave no benefit at all..... as a pre shave. But...... as a post shave balm, especially in winter it is fantastic. It used to be marketed as a pre and post shave cream, but for some reason today it is branded solely as a pre shave. When used as a winter post shave, it is so good that I sometimes use it as an all over body moisturiser for a total menthol experience 👍

While menthol is more typically a thing of hot weather for me, I still find myself using Proraso Green cream, balm, and aftershave some days. I usually stop rinsing with cold water too until I don't. Fortunately, unlike much of this old house, I can keep the bathroom toasty warm on those cold days.
Ha! Our bathroom is the same. I leave the door open to get more heat in the back of the house. The only room that gets warmer is my workshop downstairs, where the furnace is.

Ha! Our bathroom is the same. I leave the door open to get more heat in the back of the house. The only room that gets warmer is my workshop downstairs, where the furnace is.
We don't have a central heat/ac system here. I a couple of in wall heaters supplemented by radiant space heaters. All electric home. We do have a modern pellet stove that came with the house (the house was built in 1915) but after a couple years of hauling pellets and the mess, we stopped using it.

Oh my gosh, its so nice to meet you @Robert6891 😁

You are speaking to a menthol junkie right now, so I completely understand where you are coming from my friend. It could be freezing outside, and while all the normies out there might say, use a warm scent to artificially heat you up. I'd be like, oh heck no! Send Jack Frost my way, and have him throw a snowball in my face, sometimes, you just gotta chill. 🌨️☃️❄️

Welcome to my new PAA Chill Mill menthol grinder!
proxy.php
proxy.php

Head on over to PAA to get yourself one of these!
You can also buy the menthol crystals from them!

Now, here's what you do. Take the top off, now fill
it up with the good stuff!
proxy.php

Now your ready to go!
proxy.php

Re-attach the grinder to the top!

Now, you just remove the protective cap,
and you use it just like you would with a
pepper grinder. Use 2 to 4 rotations to do
a standard shave soap mentholation. If
you want eye and nostril cleansing, use
more rotations, to add more menthol.

This is what I do, to turn all my non-mentholated shave soaps, into happy mentholated shave soaps. I slap that shave soap on my face, and I proceed to feel the cool freeze on my face. Then when your done, and you rinse your face off with cold water, oh yeah, the feeling is invigorating! We are the same brother, and hopefully, I helped you out in some way, to AMP up your menthol game in the end. ;)
I'll give that a try.

I keep a container in the fridge with a wet towel in it for a nice frigid (about 36 degrees F on the bottom shelf) "splash" after I rinse off my face and before putting on my aftershave. It's extra refreshing.

We don't have a central heat/ac system here. I a couple of in wall heaters supplemented by radiant space heaters. All electric home. We do have a modern pellet stove that came with the house (the house was built in 1915) but after a couple years of hauling pellets and the mess, we stopped using it.
I lived in a cabin for a while that was all electric baseboards. Place was always freezing. Our house now was built 1930, the furnace installed 1952. It's actually big enough to heat a house almost 3 times the size of ours (which it actually use to do, originally it also supplied heat to the neighbors house) but the duct work was "updated" and done so badly that hardly any heat gets to any room except the bathroom. It's still better than that cabin though.

What region do you live in?

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
I'm slowly working through my last batch of soap, which I named Peppermint Trip. Nice and cool during the hot days, also nice and cool during these cooler days. :)

Probably next I'll do something in citrus, but I've still got half the batch of peppermint to plow through.

O.H.

I find Proraso green menthol pre shave no benefit at all..... as a pre shave. But...... as a post shave balm, especially in winter it is fantastic. It used to be marketed as a pre and post shave cream, but for some reason today it is branded solely as a pre shave. When used as a winter post shave, it is so good that I sometimes use it as an all over body moisturiser for a total menthol experience 👍
I think this is why they are marketing in pre shave only
IMG_20221115_094742.jpg

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I think this is why they are marketing in pre shave only
View attachment 1556828
Very likely but that menthol balm has existed for years, albeit in different packaging. As I recall that post shave balm and the pre/post shave cream were both available at the same time as separate products. I certainly purchased both at the same time. At any rate both products are still available 👍

linty1

My wallet cries.
I used to really like the freeze, and while I still like it, there are so many other soaps to try. I keep a puck of Cryogen around for when I feel like it, and a bottle of Osage rub.

Top Bottom