What's new

Menthol-bomb (M-bomb) recipe?

Does anyone out there have a home recipe to make their own M-bomb?

For those not in the know, M-bomb is a liquid menthol additive allowing the user to add a few drops to their lathers or aftershaves to give them a nice menthol kick. Although menthol dissolves in alcohol, I assume you wouldn't want to use that because alcohol is a lather killer. What do people use to dissolve their menthol in? Glycerin? Witch hazel? What proportions do you use between menthol crystals and whatever you dissolve them in?

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Mennen Skin Bracer mix with Osage Rub in equal parts. Bootlegger's Green Freeze. Add additional menthol crystals to your liking.

I wouldn't be looking to combine a current/existing menthol product with another. I'm hoping to find a recipe using basic ingredients. Menthol crystals + ?? liquid (not an existing aftershave) = M-bomb. I'd guess the liquid is glycerin or maybe witch hazel or maybe both. I'm seeking out that type of combo and in what proportions they should be mixed.

I wouldn't be looking to combine a current/existing menthol product with another. I'm hoping to find a recipe using basic ingredients. Menthol crystals + ?? liquid (not an existing aftershave) = M-bomb. I'd guess the liquid is glycerin or maybe witch hazel or maybe both. I'm seeking out that type of combo and in what proportions they should be mixed.
Mix Menthol crystals with Propylene Glycol until dissolved. Don't go over 30% menthol crystals in solution, otherwise it will start to crystalize. Use that solution for adding menthol to your whatever you are making. You should be able to buy Propylene Glycol (not for industrial, but for medicinal or cosmetic use) in any pharmacy. Never use larger quantities of menthol crystal in glycerine.

Sent from my Y7 using Tapatalk

I have the same question. Stirling has a product, Frost Drops, have not tried, assume it's what they use in their products. I use their unscented splash with added menthol, great product.

I've been thinking about making some of this myself but haven't done it yet. Here's what I've figured out so far...

Menthol crystals dissolve in alcohol or oil. You can dissolve more menthol in alcohol than oil but either will probably work well enough. Menthol crystals will only dissolve in water or glycerin if you heat it, which I guess might make some of the menthol evaporate? Witch hazel has some alcohol in it so it might dissolve some menthol crystals.

So, my plan was to make a couple small batches using olive oil and rubbing alcohol and see how each of them works. Then tweak from there.

I'd wonder about using alcohol. If you were to add it to prepared lather it might kill the lather. I learned that pretty quickly when I tried to add Osage Rub to lather. The lather died immediately.

Top Bottom